Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Character sheet app attack flow tidy, "Critical Hit" calculator, and also RNG (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58278)

McTaff April 28th, 2017 08:06 AM

Character sheet app attack flow tidy, "Critical Hit" calculator, and also RNG

A couple of things have been noted in my gaming group amongst the iPad app users...

1) When using a weapon, most players I game with like to just go ahead and roll all relevant dice together to speed up the gameplay. In a nutshell, rolling the To Hit and Damage dice together. The app requires several presses to go forward and backward.

In addition if I hit "Full Attack" it should spit out each attack, and the damage in an array that's easy to read off - incorporating all relevant feats (rapid shot, manyshot, etc for example)

2) The app does not instantly recognise if you have scored a critical threat or critical hit. (Nor if a saving throw is an auto-success or auto-fail for 20 or 1 respectively, either)

It seems as if it should be an easy matter to program in an optional function that if a critical threat is scored, that the app rolls again and displays both results so as to speed up the flow of the game. Also, having the damage be worked out ahead as well (the app could have a simple "yes/no" for the player to press, and it would then spit out either critical or normal damage directly from there.)

3) A random die roller - something as simple as an icon tucked away in a corner that will allow you to quickly generate anything from a d20 roll to 4d6 or 2d10, or whatever you might need in a hurry.

4) A "rollback" for negative levels and ability score damage. When someone gets thwacked with negative levels, it's impossible to retroactively work out what they lose. If the app kept track of previous levels and other information, it would be easier for players to just press a few buttons and keep playing.
Answered.
... thanks.

As an android user, I'm still waiting for an Android app of course, but it seems the iPad users can often struggle with the speed at which they can effect certain simple sequences - hoping this can all get ironed out for them.

-'Taff

Farling April 28th, 2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McTaff (Post 248870)
4) A "rollback" for negative levels and ability score damage. When someone gets thwacked with negative levels, it's impossible to retroactively work out what they lose. If the app kept track of previous levels and other information, it would be easier for players to just press a few buttons and keep playing.

In Pathfinder, negative levels are not treated as if the levels were never earned.

Check the rules in the glossary at http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/c.../glossary.html

McTaff April 28th, 2017 05:51 PM

Conceded - we never looked at that closely. The point is, however, that there is no easy way to work it out using the app to apply all penalties.

ShadowChemosh April 28th, 2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McTaff (Post 248900)
Conceded - we never looked at that closely. The point is, however, that there is no easy way to work it out using the app to apply all penalties.

Why can't you apply the Adjustment?

McTaff April 29th, 2017 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh (Post 248906)
Why can't you apply the Adjustment?

I'm not the iPad user myself (I have Android devices), so if there is an adjustment, I will endeavour to find it. The other players couldn't find it but might not have been looking altogether that closely.

Thanks SC. :)

ShadowChemosh April 29th, 2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McTaff (Post 248920)
I'm not the iPad user myself (I have Android devices), so if there is an adjustment, I will endeavour to find it. The other players couldn't find it but might not have been looking altogether that closely.

Thanks SC. :)

At the bottom of the In-Play area, where they see weapons and can roll dice, is a button called "Adjustments". They go there and can see Spells, Conferred, and other adjustments just like the desktop version of HL.

McTaff May 16th, 2017 03:14 AM

To /rerail this - is there any comment on any of the unanswered points that we can get?

The first three points could really speed up the flow of play at the table, we feel.

Silveras May 16th, 2017 07:11 AM

Your suggestions sound like they are specific to a game system, and how that game plays. In responding to Farling, that seems to be Pathfinder. As such, this probably should be in the Pathfinder forum.