Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   RealmWorks CSV Import Tool (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58156)

kbs666 September 24th, 2017 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 256414)
In a CSV, the "...." is only required around the items which have embedded commas. For simple columns it shouldn't be required.

commas, new lines and quotes actually. You need to embed all of them in quotes actually.

In a CSV file commas mark the end of a column and the new line symbol marks the end of the row. Therefore to include either one in your data you need to wrap it in quotes. Since quotes themselves are treated as a special symbol if you need to include a quotation mark you need to wrap it in quotes as well.

This is why I wrote above that for all but the most trivial CSV files it is far easier to build the file in Excel or some other spreadsheet program and then export it as a CSV rather than trying to build it by hand.

K126 October 2nd, 2017 03:11 AM

Thanks a lot! I was aware of the quotes, but I put them around each delimiter and not around the whole text block, which makes it obviously easier. :-)

Madmaxneo October 3rd, 2017 03:17 PM

What is CSV?

MaxSupernova October 3rd, 2017 03:33 PM

Comma Separated Values.

It's a type of file format where each column of data is separated from the next by a comma, and each row ending with a newline character.

It's a pretty universal way of sending tabular data from one place to another. Almost every data source will have a way to read CSV files.

Farling October 3rd, 2017 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxSupernova (Post 256877)
Almost every data source will have a way to read CSV files.

And now Realm Works does too (indirectly) :-)

Guyanthalas October 6th, 2017 02:46 PM

I'm importing my first CSV file into this program as I type. Its a list of all the magic spells in 5e. I'm sure I'm going to have to figure some things out with it being overly aggressive on links (curse you 'light' spell!) but I'll figure those out as I go.

This might be outside the scope of what this tool does, but it would be a nice feature to be able to export existing articles, do mass clean ups in excel, then reimport to update in bulk.

Thanks for putting time into this, its an excellent tool!

Guyanthalas October 6th, 2017 03:06 PM

Also, got this error importing my CSV file:

Quote:

The following errors were encountered during import:

Encountered validation error for the import XML: The 'public_name' attribute is invalid - The value '' is invalid according to its datatype 'urn:lonewolfdevel.com:realm-works-export:top_level_name_type' - The actual length is less than the MinLength value.

Invalid name specified
I looked over my CSV and I don't think any of the name fields are empty. Any idea what could be going on?

Farling October 7th, 2017 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guyanthalas (Post 257030)
I looked over my CSV and I don't think any of the name fields are empty. Any idea what could be going on?

Do you have a field which is a single quote character?
Perhaps something like
Quote:

... , \" , ...
Just in case the error message is misleading, the maximum length of the "public_name" is limited to 100 characters.

bishop618 October 8th, 2017 02:55 PM

Hi, I've been getting this specific problem, with a few imports. Can someone please help me with this?
Thanks in advance

Encountered validation error for the import XML: The 'public_name' attribute is invalid - The value '' is invalid according to its datatype 'urn:lonewolfdevel.com:realm-works-export:top_level_name_type' - The actual length is less than the MinLength value.

Invalid name specified

Farling October 8th, 2017 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bishop618 (Post 257124)
Hi, I've been getting this specific problem, with a few imports. Can someone please help me with this?
Thanks in advance

Invalid name specified

Hi, can you PM me links to the original CSV and the resulting XML file?
I will have a look to see what is going on.