Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Authoring Kit (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Videos (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=11238)

chiefweasel September 13th, 2010 05:22 AM

Videos

Hey all, I received an email the other day asking some questions about creating content and the idea of YouTube videos came up for some functions of using the editor. A few questions along these lines:

Are others interested in this?
Would they be useful to people creating new content?
Would someone like to take on this task?

I don’t have the video equipment to do this sort of thing, but someone out there might want to take up the banner and run with it. Which would be great and a huge help to the user community.

I know some folks are reluctant to post things on YouTube, so I can post the videos to YouTube if someone is reluctant too.

ShadowChemosh September 13th, 2010 07:20 AM

I got a similar PM myself and I did forward it on to HL as it's not a bad idea. It is easier for many people to watch a 15 minute video than read pages of text. Instead of YouTube I know I have seen software that can simply record your desktop. This way you would run the editor and simply record your voice to the video explaining the different areas of the software as it recorded the actions being done.

I would love to help but currently I have gone past long hours at work into Stupid hours (ie 90+ billable hours a week). So it will be months yet before I could find time to help with this. Though I really think it would help out the community allot for those that want to learn and get over the initial hurtle. Once past that initial hurtle I think people will really actually enjoy using the editor as it gives allot of control to the editor.

chiefweasel September 13th, 2010 08:09 AM

Yikes, 90 hours, now your starting to get into my range. As for videos though, thats a good idea to capture the screen as you create something. I might try to look into this on my next minute off work. Something I would recommend though is for LW to do video capture when you go to conventions and give demos. I think that would be a help as well. Just a thought.

SAbel September 13th, 2010 04:56 PM

I would love the U Tube idea, I mentioned something like this last Year at Gen Con (09) about the presentation that Lone wolf did (b/c they were very helpful). I do not have any video equipment and my work has me back at unreal hours as well, not to mention life.
But I would give this a Oh Hell Yea I think this would be very helpful. :)

chiefweasel September 14th, 2010 10:03 AM

I am goingto look into some software that will record screen captures and also make writen documentation of what you did. I'll try it out this weekend, i hope,and let folks know.

SAbel September 29th, 2010 07:44 PM

Hey chiefweasel,
any luck with the video test?

chiefweasel September 30th, 2010 05:58 AM

Not yet, I thought I had a copy of the software, but I must have lost it someplace. I didnt want to use Frap or something like that, i wanted to use something better. I am going to keep looking though.

For a long term thing, I think somone should plan to video the presentations that LW does at Gen Con or other convention. While I am at Gen Con every year, I am working my own booth and dont have time to do the videos myself.