Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Anyone Else Nervous? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=48959)

MaxSupernova April 11th, 2014 07:46 AM

Anyone Else Nervous?

I've been learning the program and trying all the options and I've used it for a few small adventures, but I'm still reluctant to go whole-hog and transfer my full game world data. The actual data is easy enough to repeat if sopmething goes wrong, but once I start tagging and using relationships and all of the RW-specific stuff, that will be harder to replicate if something goes wrong.

I've hit a couple of -500 synch errors, and I've had to restart from scratch a couple of times due to weird errors when I play with categories (all logged).

I really love this program, and I think I'm ready to start the hard work, but I'm still just that little bit nervous.

Anyone else in the same boat?

EightBitz April 11th, 2014 08:16 AM

Yeah, but so what? If I crash, I'll be no worse off than I am right now.

zarlor April 11th, 2014 08:24 AM

Having set up several Realms in Beta, and with several of them that did have issues and/or crash, I can say that Realm Works is one of the most robust, "crash friendly" programs I've ever worked with. And to give you and idea I've been in plenty of beta tests for various programs as well as being a professional Systems Administrator. I've yet to see any real data loss or any crash that the Lone Wolf folks weren't able to fix. I say just go for it!

gloranphile April 11th, 2014 08:40 AM

I agree 100% with zarlor. I've had many many crashes during beta testing, and I still have all my content.

I've redone how I organize things quite frequently, and RealmWorks makes it very easy. Don't worry about getting it all right the first time. You'll likely change the way you organize as well, but it's not a huge deal.

Zaphod Beebledoc April 11th, 2014 10:08 AM

You could also do a backup on your own computer if you are really worried, though based on what I've seen on here, you don't have much to worry about!

enrious April 11th, 2014 02:07 PM

I still backup frequently, but haven't had to do a restore unless it's something I did.

Venger April 11th, 2014 05:57 PM

Well Im just getting started with it, and haven't had any major things go wrong yet.

But I have to admit I often jot notes during little breaks at work in Word ever since the sky was blue. More recently Ive used dropbox to store them so they are available anywhere.

RW is installed on my game laptop I keep at home. I transfer my notes and that's fairly quick and easy to do, so I always have a backup of sorts. I haven't committed solely to RW yet.

Ive only had it two weeks, so after a few months I will have a better feel if I could trust it to the max. Even then I still have to keep notes in Word because I cant install RW at work.

So with RW I don't worry except for the extra time transferring notes which I will need to do anyway.

I always sync so I would hope the latest edit of my Realm will always be there. But the 500 error mentioned made me do a Mr. Spock eyebrow raise there. Think I will do a backup this evening and after each major session just in case

MaxSupernova April 12th, 2014 07:59 AM

Okay.

I needed the little push to commit, but you've all convinced me.

Off we go into the wild world of Realm Works.

Chemlak April 12th, 2014 08:49 AM

Heck, I've had crash reports come up and RW remain open with zero loss of data. Say what you like about the almost constant saving: you sure as heck don't lose stuff!

davidp April 12th, 2014 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemlak (Post 180463)
Heck, I've had crash reports come up and RW remain open with zero loss of data. Say what you like about the almost constant saving: you sure as heck don't lose stuff!

I would strongly recommend if you get a crash report to exit Realm Works and start again. When a crash happens, depending on the particular crash, you may be in a bad state and it is just safer to exit and restart when you have the possibility of continuing.