Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Feature Requests (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Context Dependent Create Contained Topic (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60222)

the_redbeard February 20th, 2018 07:41 PM

Context Dependent Create Contained Topic

When I use "Create Contained Topic" it would be helpful if RW was aware of what other topics are in the container.

For example, I have a container of game sessions for a group, and if I right-click and choose 'create contained topic', it would be helpful if RW noticed that every other topic in that container is a game session (or whatever) and have that be the default of the new topic instead of the last topic created.

Gord February 21st, 2018 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_redbeard (Post 263329)
When I use "Create Contained Topic" it would be helpful if RW was aware of what other topics are in the container.

For example, I have a container of game sessions for a group, and if I right-click and choose 'create contained topic', it would be helpful if RW noticed that every other topic in that container is a game session (or whatever) and have that be the default of the new topic instead of the last topic created.

+1 to this for sure since anything that saves clicks is good for my old fingers

ErinRigh February 21st, 2018 10:40 AM

-1 from me

This would be totally counter to how I, personally, do things.

In my realms, most of my containers do not contain a single type of topic. For example, I have Fort Whistler(Settlement) containing NPC List (Cast List containing NPCs), Walsh Estate (Adventure Area containing numerous Locations), Places in Whistler (Place List containing numerous Locations, Merchants (containing NPCs), A Geographical Region and Numerous Urban Regions)

So this would result in program confusion and extra steps from me when assigning contained topics

Vargr February 22nd, 2018 10:37 AM

+1 for this.

Viking2054 February 24th, 2018 06:00 AM

How about if you allowed a setting for the container that allowed you to specify a default topic type? If you included a 'no default' setting so it behaved normally, then it might be the best solution. Anyway, I wouldn't leave it up to whatever was already in the container, but make it a user selection probably by right clicking on the container and setting a preference.

Farling February 26th, 2018 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viking2054 (Post 263494)
How about if you allowed a setting for the container that allowed you to specify a default topic type? If you included a 'no default' setting so it behaved normally, then it might be the best solution. Anyway, I wouldn't leave it up to whatever was already in the container, but make it a user selection probably by right clicking on the container and setting a preference.

There isn't really a concept of a "container" type of topic. The "Cast List" topic is only used as a container because the name of the topic is "Cast List".

I much prefer the dialog to remember my last selected choice. However I would also like it to remember if I was adding it as a child to the current topic (which always gets reset to "no parent").