Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - World of Darkness (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Vampire: The Masquerade (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=12311)

Darkholme January 30th, 2011 02:42 AM

Vampire: The Masquerade

So: I've been converting Vampire: the Masquerade data into nWoD stuff using the translation guide, and putting it into HL, replacing V:tR options, the past couple days.

I don't have everything done, but the most of the main clans are there (no assamite yet, and no blood magic yet).

However, most of the clans and disciplines have been typed in.

Any feedback is welcome.

[Edit]Heh.. forgot to put the link.

Duggan January 30th, 2011 05:43 AM

:) Good man. We can always use people willing to step forward and enter in the data. :-P "We" being me as part of the general community and nothing official, of course.

Darkholme January 30th, 2011 06:28 PM

Is it just me and rob using HL for WoD? lol. There doesn't seem to be much activity on these forums under WoD at least.

W/E. (I'm going to use it anyways now that I have it, which means I'll be wanting datafiles that have not been completed.)

I'm more likely to do ones I'll use though, so Werewolf, Promethean, and Mage are less important to me than say, Hunter, Immortals, Infernals, Skinwalkers, and Changing Breeds. (I recognize I'll have to enter new template creatures as though they were an old template, but I guess that's what I'll have to do for a while, and then do it in such a way that I can just run a batch script on the XML to change them to the new template if it ever gets done.)

But yeah: First VtM, then CtL. I'll do a different dataset for each book as I work on them.

It seems odd to me that there are not very many others making nWoD datafiles, but w/e.

Maybe if I keep plugging away at the datafiles, It'll inspire others to pitch in and do the same.

Pali January 31st, 2011 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkholme (Post 51206)
It seems odd to me that there are not very many others making nWoD datafiles, but w/e.

Cause I'm too stupid.
i.e.
I don't know how to add a new Template.
I don't know how to add the *.user package to the "Configure Your Character" window.

A step by step guide might help me a lot.

Darkholme January 31st, 2011 05:04 AM

I'm far from an expert, I've just been messing with it since I bought it thursday.

However it's definitely doable.

You can't add a new template, just add resources for templates that already exist.

If you want to add a new template, for now I'd say add it under an existing template (whichever is mechanically closest) and if we have the datasets done, it's an incentive for them to add the template (they could convert it from one format to another so long as your .user file only has stuff for the one template in it).

Advice I'd give you: In the editor, click help: go through the tutorials, they're pretty short. Do them in order, and you should be able to do pretty much anything.

I do have one major question though: "Test Now!" adds a thing to the character builder. How do I add an entire .user file at once?

Duggan January 31st, 2011 09:19 AM

Lastly, to use .user files, just drop the file in the system folder of your HeroLab\Data\ folder, for this game system, mine is "c:\HeroLab\Data\wod\"

As for compiling it all at once, try Develop/Compile Data Files and/or Develop/Quickly Reload Data Files. I haven't done much experimentation with it on account of me doing most of my fixes myself (for Mutants and Masterminds, so I'm afraid I'm not much help here) and I'll be running them one at a time.

unforgivn March 3rd, 2011 05:52 AM

I'll probably buy the WoD module for HL in the next few days and start entering WtF data (couldn't talk my players into running Promethean :(). I'll post anything I make here when it's working.

albrtrbrtsn March 8th, 2011 09:49 PM

Good luck everyone! Hope everything's gonna work.

saydrekoth September 17th, 2011 06:55 AM

I understand that there's a great deal of experimentation going on with additions to HL. That being said, I think there are not enough volunteers to assist in the testing of such "User-specific" data sets as I like to think of them as.

I won't mind stepping up to assist anyone that has such data sets, provided that I have instructions on how to protect the HL core files or at least how to back them up externally should something "blow up".

peteday December 17th, 2011 02:04 PM

V20?

Just got my V20 book a few weeks ago. Any chance Hero Lab will support this through their license with White Wolf. I bet the response would be amazing, as was the response to the no V20 book.

Frodie January 26th, 2012 11:17 AM

Any word on the V20 book dataset?

Xalir March 2nd, 2012 09:29 AM

Hoping soon. If there was more of the NWoD, I'd have bought that licence in addition to the Pathfinder licence. Even if the Classic WoD was a separate licence, I'd buy it. Understandably, there's a lot of material and they'd have to release most of it in extended data packs, but the old school gamers still play and collect the books. The new Onyx Path games are no different.

John March 5th, 2012 09:45 AM

Thanks for the suggestion! We don't have any short-term plans for this, but we're always keeping things in mind to include in Hero Lab in the future. This will be one of the items we consider.

berdman March 5th, 2012 07:10 PM

I would like to add my 2 cents for V20 and W20 when it releases later this year.

Really like Hero Lab for all the other games it supports.

gordongoblin March 19th, 2012 08:26 AM

This is precisely the reason I came to the forums today. I was hoping someone had done the work of making a VtM file!

Now, how do I import it?

Thorneldrich March 27th, 2012 01:45 PM

I truly hope Lone Wolf Dev. is able to get licensing for the V20 & other Onyx Path releases. I would be more then happy to plunk down more money for the HeroLab game module. I have always been a fan of the Classic WoD games (I do not find the Requiem/Forsaken/etc.. games to my liking although the nWoD books like Slasher, Mirrors, & the other books sets along those lines are very intriguing) & the return of that version of WoD is a welcome occurrence.

Nosferajew April 5th, 2012 12:43 PM

The World of Darkness data sets were the whole reason I bought Hero Lab in the first place. I would absolutely love to see Mage the Awakening, or even Onyx path releases, but I guess the sales numbers just aren't there to justify the work.

RavenX April 8th, 2012 01:25 PM

I am using Hero Lab for my Vampire Chronicles as well, and have started converting stuff over from the translation guide as well. The Caitiff seem to be the hardest to implement as I don't know how to get Hero Lab to ignore the Clan Attributes or Discipline requirements.

Frodie May 8th, 2012 08:10 PM

Our group is starting a V20 game and we want a dataset, I am new to the V20 material, what can I add to the current dataset. Well, how easy can I input the info.

Frodie May 11th, 2012 03:36 AM

Ok, question is the new V20 the old VtM updated to the VtR?

RavenX May 13th, 2012 02:57 PM

v20 is the 20th anniversary, it is the old world of darkness Vampire the Masquerade set. IF you want to update it to Requiem, you will need to go to drivethrurpg or some similar site and get a copy of the Vampire Translation Guide.

shaftiel July 19th, 2012 03:59 AM

Hey, I would like to use it, but I do not know how. How can I change the templates? Can i change the clans? Can I add new bloodlines? Please, help me.

When I open Hero Lab there is no WoD folder in C:/Program Files/Hero Lab. There is docs (commom, help, kit, manual, redirect and tutorial whitin) and product. Please, help because I want to use the masquerade.

shaftiel July 19th, 2012 04:21 AM

Can someone explain me how the use this? There is no WoD folder in c:/program files/hero lab

Bryangustaf July 19th, 2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaftiel (Post 86820)
Can someone explain me how the use this? There is no WoD folder in c:/program files/hero lab

The Program Files folder is for hero lab itself. The Data file folder is located in c:/documents and settings/all users/application data/hero lab.

Aaron C August 2nd, 2012 04:08 AM

Darkholme - First off: WELL DONE. Your contributions to the community are greatly appreciated with the data set! I am glad to see there are those "Grognards" out there who still share a passion for this amazing game!

My question to the those following this board, is this: Has anyone come up with a VtM revised data set? I am getting ready to run a chronicle via a web forum, and it would make my life so much easier if it were available? Or is the main focus now the VtM 20 anniversary? If anyone knows of a created data set, please reply via PM or here in the thread.

Much thanks!

anyvictor September 18th, 2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryangustaf (Post 86833)
The Program Files folder is for hero lab itself. The Data file folder is located in c:/documents and settings/all users/application data/hero lab. I don't like IGG. But browser game Wings of Destiny published by IGG is awesome. This is one of my favorite mmorpgs.

thanks for your response :P

kaintheseeker October 17th, 2012 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peteday (Post 67499)
Just got my V20 book a few weeks ago. Any chance Hero Lab will support this through their license with White Wolf. I bet the response would be amazing, as was the response to the no V20 book.

I know I would get it.

StunningFist July 16th, 2017 09:19 AM

Like any good Giovanni, I am going to work some thread NECROMANCY and ask a question that I, sadly, suspect I already know the answer to...

Has anyone come up with data files for V20? Is it on anyone's radar?

I have zero interest in VtR, but reading through my V20 PDF has me all giddy over this system just like I was with VtM 20 years ago.

My gaming group is spread over the country, so electronic tools like HL are a big deal for us.

Am I smoking crack in the vain hope that someone is even contemplating bringing the V20 rules into HL?

RavenX July 21st, 2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StunningFist (Post 252772)
Like any good Giovanni, I am going to work some thread NECROMANCY and ask a question that I, sadly, suspect I already know the answer to...

Has anyone come up with data files for V20? Is it on anyone's radar?

I have zero interest in VtR, but reading through my V20 PDF has me all giddy over this system just like I was with VtM 20 years ago.

My gaming group is spread over the country, so electronic tools like HL are a big deal for us.

Am I smoking crack in the vain hope that someone is even contemplating bringing the V20 rules into HL?

At this point you'd likely have to rebuild the data files from scratch. Unless Paradox Interactive decides to get talking about renewing the hero lab license it would have to be a scratch built file.

I have the skills to do it, but I'm already busy cranking on Exalted right now.