Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Suggestion - Stock Summons (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=13520)

Xyzzy July 21st, 2011 04:02 AM

Suggestion - Stock Summons

It occurred to me whilst prepping up a Summoner that having a set of stock files for the various Summons might be an idea. I know that all of the critters that can be summoned are already in the stock files in alphabetical order, but having a separate stock file would, in my mind, make selections quicker and easier.

A downside I can see is (how) do you split them up? One file per level? One per three? Or just one file listing all 9 levels of summons.
Obviously you'd have both Summon Monster and Summon Natures Ally as different sets.

Additionally, should there be a good and evil version of the stock files? Or can the template application (celestial/fiendish) be automated? Would it be able to provide a choice for the neutral summoners if it is automated?

Hmmm, the more I think about it the more convoluted things become, as such an option ought to take into account feats (Augment Summons, Moonlight Summons etc.) But a good first step would be the stock files for the two spell sets.

chiefweasel July 21st, 2011 04:25 AM

What you could do is create a seperate portfolio with all ther creatures you anted, and break them down how you want. Then just import the portfolio.

I do something like this when i GM. i have the entire party as a single portfolio call Whole Party. That way i can just grab 1 dataset and i have all 8 people.

maybe you could create a .por file named Evil Summons. not sure if this would give you what you are looking for, but it might be an option.

Xyzzy July 21st, 2011 01:39 PM

Sorry, I seem to have not typed in a sentence or two I was meaning to include, that is a problem with posting just on midnight :)

I know I can set up the portfolios myself, and that'll save me a bunch of time in game, and that I can pass the portfolio files around to others if I so desire.

However I still think having a set of stock files already distributed with the program would be a boon to other users.

Thinking about some of my earlier ramblings, given the nature of the portfolios, having it take feats into account isn't a good idea (I intellectually know that they can have several different characters, but as I've just been using it for a PC at a time, I instinctively think in those terms,) so feats & traits from one character oughtn't affect summons in case it is brought in by some other means.

chiefweasel July 21st, 2011 03:02 PM

ah, i think you mean like the NPCs for the adventure paths. a few folks ahve done that. Not to tip my hat, but something i am looking to do in the future is to create a whole adventure path in realm works. that way everything would be all in one file, but its just a thought at the moment.

OverTheSwamp November 13th, 2011 10:50 PM

Import Stock Hero for Summon Monster

I tried to import a 'Beetle, Fire' for use with my Summon Monster spell, and the entry was grayed out. Would that be because I have not purchased the PF Beastary, or some other PF book that this is in?

I have the 3.5 package. Is there a way to export/edit/import that creature to have it available when I cast Summon Monster?

ShadowChemosh November 14th, 2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverTheSwamp (Post 65581)
I tried to import a 'Beetle, Fire' for use with my Summon Monster spell, and the entry was grayed out. Would that be because I have not purchased the PF Beastary, or some other PF book that this is in?

Mostly like the case yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverTheSwamp (Post 65581)
I have the 3.5 package. Is there a way to export/edit/import that creature to have it available when I cast Summon Monster?

Is that a mis-type or did you post in the wrong forum? This is for those with Pathfinder the d20 forum is for those using the 3.5 rules.

Its just you will get better and more accurate answers by posting in the forum that matches the data set you have.

OverTheSwamp November 16th, 2011 11:12 AM

Not a miss-type or in the wrong topic.
In different words: Is the 3.5 Fire Beetle (or other summon-able creatures) which are currently available in my 3.5 data set as a 'stock import', somehow exportable to allow import and available in the Pathfinder Stock Import to use as a summoned creature?
I am currently using the 3.5 MM as I have neither the Pathfinder Bestiary book or Data Set. As I type this, I am slowly beginning to realize that this is wishful thinking.
Cheers anyway for reading.

chiefweasel November 17th, 2011 05:16 AM

I think the beetle would be available to pull in from the bestiary for D&D 3.5. This is the pathfinder forum though, so you can see the confusion folks are having.

The files for 3.5 are not entirly compatable with PF so you would not be able to just import a stock creature from one system to the other. Not to say it wouldnt work, it might depending on the file, but there are enough differences in both systems that I would doubt that the 3.5 beetle file would import.

To even be able to acces the 3.5 beetle you would need to copy it over to a seperate file and add it to the PF files, making sure not to wipe out the PF file for the same creature (if it exists).

You best solution would be to see if the beetle exists in PF and if it doesnt, then create the creature using the editor and then you could use it for PF.

Hope this helps.