Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - d20 System (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Class skill code... need some help (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=12488)

Kendall-DM February 22nd, 2011 04:56 PM

Class skill code... need some help

I have a piece of code in my classes, that give maximum ranks equal to that of a cross-class skill at the cost of class skills. I copied it mainly from the Guerrilla Scout class in the custom files. However, this code works for the hero, regardless of the class, while I would like it to work specifically in the class it is in. Any suggestions on how to modify this?

~ General skills from cross-class, set out number of ranks
~ equal to our number of points spent.
foreach pick in hero from BaseSkill where "thingid.kListen|thingid.kSpeakLang|thingid.kS pot"
each.field[kUserRanks].value = each.field[kUserPts].value
nexteach

Each pick in hero isn't working here, is there a way to iterate just through the class itself, such as each pick in a class?

Kendall-DM February 23rd, 2011 07:43 AM

bump

Still clueless on how to accomplish this in class rather than across the hero.

Sendric February 23rd, 2011 07:55 AM

It may not be possible. Max skill ranks are based on "character level" not "class level" so presumably Hero Labs is built on that. Having said that, its possible I don't fully understand what you're trying to do.

risner February 23rd, 2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sendric (Post 52526)
It may not be possible. Max skill ranks are based on "character level" not "class level" so presumably Hero Labs is built on that. Having said that, its possible I don't fully understand what you're trying to do.

I don't understand what he is trying to do.
So I don't know how to help.

Kendall, could you give us an example say from a 4th level PC using this benefit and how it would work with and with out the benefit?

Kendall-DM February 23rd, 2011 09:00 AM

The example code shown above provides a Wizard with Spot, Speak Languages, and Listen as cross-class skills that can be bought at the class skill rate. In other words, a Wizard's max ranks here are at the cross-class limit, but the cost to buy those skills cost only 1 skill point for 1 rank.

As that stands, this works perfectly. So a 4th level Wizard can buy 3 ranks in Spot, Speak Languages, or Listen (his cross-class maximum) but only spend 3 skill points to get the 3 ranks. So that works. The rub is, say, I want to take a level in Fighter, now the fighter has some of his cross-class skills to do the same. However, Speak Languages should be bought by the Fighter strictly as a cross-class skill (2 skill points = 1 rank), but since the Wizard code applies across the hero, the Fighter is able to still buy the ranks in Fighter just like a Wizard does. I need to make it so that the Fighter is back to buying that strictly as a cross-class skill.

So, in other words, I need to be able to indicate to this script when I am in the specified class so that I know all skill purchases in said class that the code segment applies to are not being applied across the hero (and thus to other classes). The code "for each pick in hero..." would work much better if it was something like "for each pick in <current class> ..." where <current class> is the class using its skill points. If the <current class> applies to the code segment, otherwise it doesn't. That way, I can keep the code in one class from applying across the hero (and thusly to all other classes).

I'm not sure that is clear enough, since the concept doesn't exist outside of my own game. I my game, I have house ruled that certain skills are general skills to certain classes. Wizards have Listen, Speak Languages, and Spot as general skills (cost of class skill, maximum ranks of a cross-class skill). If this is not clear enough, I will try to submit a specific example later. Just let me know.

risner February 23rd, 2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendall-DM (Post 52534)
indicate to this script when I am in the specified class so that I know all skill purchases in said class that the code segment

There is no record of when skill points where purchased and which class they belong, so there is no way to code this.

You can however code that loop that when it gets to a skill, it can detect how many levels in the class that grants 1 for 1 and only convert a number of skill points equal to that class's level.

The only other option is to make a tracker, and instead of buying ranks in the Skill tab you buy ranks in the tracker. Then a script in the tracker deducts that number of skill points from the points available and adds that number to the skill in question.

Kendall-DM February 23rd, 2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by risner (Post 52539)
You can however code that loop that when it gets to a skill, it can detect how many levels in the class that grants 1 for 1 and only convert a number of skill points equal to that class's level..

This is what I did originally, well something like it anyhow, but I really liked this code segment, seemed elegant, but of course, the across hero is a problem. Ah well, I'll try working on it some more, as I always believe with a little application, there is a way to do what you want (within the constraints of the program). I may just have to go back to my original way of doing it.

Kendall-DM February 23rd, 2011 10:09 AM

I'm not at home, so I don't have any way to test this just yet. But, I wonder if this would work, since each code segment occupies a specific class. For example, would this work only for the Wizard?

foreach pick in hero from Class where "thingid.cWizard"
foreach pick in hero from BaseSkill where "thingid.kListen|thingid.kSpeakLang|thingid.kS pot"
each.field[kUserRanks].value = each.field[kUserPts].value
nexteach
nexteach

I wonder if that would keep other classes from accessing this skill code segment?

Hmmm... that might have to be cHelpWiz. I'll try it later when I get home.

risner February 23rd, 2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendall-DM (Post 52546)
foreach pick in hero from Class where "thingid.cWizard"

That won't work, but there is a way. I've spent so much time on Pathfinder lately I'd forgotten that HL does record class by class ranks.

Develop->Floating->Show Selection Fields->Concentration.
Add 2 ranks in Concentration on the first class you have.
Notice kValue0 increases.

Notice only 6 classes are possible (which makes me wonder if you are prohibited from adding a 7th class, but that is another thread matter.)

Look up tClass0 to tClass5 searching for your class on the hero.
Then grab kValueX on the skill
There you have how many ranks were bought from that class.

Kendall-DM February 23rd, 2011 10:50 AM

The number of ranks bought is not the problem (I'm not changing the cross-class or class skill maximum ranks structure). They difficulty is in how many skill points each class spends on cross-class skills. So, in the previous example, Speak Language is a cross-class skill for a Wizard, and it remains so, it just cost 1 skill point to gain 1 rank in it. Now when I change levels to Fighter, the Fighter also has Speak Language as a cross-class skill, but he should be purchasing the skill points to ranks at a 2 to 1 buy. But because Wizard has code that applies across the hero, the Fighter can buy it at 1 to 1, which I don't want to happen. So I'd have to limit the access to the code across the hero. What you proposed though, still has a solution within it, I just have to think through how to implement it, if its possible at all even. I'll have to look at which class is currently using its skill points (I think it is kUsed0 through kUsed6 or something like that).

Of course, I'm working from memory here, as I don't have HL in front of me.

risner February 23rd, 2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendall-DM (Post 52549)
The number of ranks bought is not the problem (I'm not changing the cross-class or class skill maximum ranks structure). They difficulty is in how many skill points each class spends on cross-class skills.

Ok, I guess I had trouble explaining my proposed solution to you. I will try again.

Try this:
1) Look up the class number of points spent on the class you wish to "double" points spent to accomplish 1 for 1.
2) Add the required amount to ranks to make sure they reflect as you wish.

risner February 23rd, 2011 12:01 PM

This is not actual code, just design and actual code mixed in.

Example code:
Code:

var a as number

search to find the kValue for the class you want to change (kListen) (say 3 = 3rd class you have taken)
a = blah.field[kValue3].value
hero.child[kListen].field[kUserRanks].value += a

Repease last 3 lines for thingid.kSpeakLang|thingid.kSpot"

risner February 23rd, 2011 12:35 PM

Did some searching:

var index as number
index = hero.child[cHelpWiz].field[cClsIndex].value

that tells you which one it is, so:

if (index = 0) then kValue0
if (index = 5) then kValue5

Kendall-DM February 24th, 2011 08:49 PM

Well, I was able to get around this, as long as I'm careful when creating a character. All I have to do is check that there are no remaining skill points in the class that gets the general skills in my game, and only apply the code segment while there are points to be spent. Obviously, I need to spend for each class independently before adding new classes, that's the careful part. Here is what I added to the code segment (using Wizard again).

var index as number

if (hero.child[Totals].field[tSkTotals].arrayvalue[index] <> 0) then

*code above*

endif

EDIT: Nevermind, still needs work, forgot it changes the ranks as soon as the skill points are empty. Ergh.

Kendall-DM February 25th, 2011 12:16 PM

Ok, I went back to my original code for doing this, which works. It just isn't doing validity tests like I would like. But it works, and doesn't cause me the headaches that trying to do things across the hero does. Not the ideal solution, but a solution. Oh and I have to use the eval rules panel and set all these skill types to a class skill, then restrict their ranks. Something like this for Speak Languages on a Wizard.

@valid = 1
doneif (#levelcount[Bard] >= 1)

var genRanks as number
genRanks = (#totallevelcount[] + 3) / 2
if (#skillranks[kSpeakLang] > genRanks) then
@message = "Skill " & hero.child[kSpeakLang].field[name].text & " has too many ranks for a general skill."
@valid = 0
endif

Of course, the problem here is it happens within the class, making error validation on the skill difficult at best. As of now, it does a warning. Now I just have to do the same for all the other skills across the classes.

Kendall-DM March 4th, 2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by risner (Post 52555)
Did some searching:

var index as number

that tells you which one it is, so:

if (index = 0) then kValue0
if (index = 5) then kValue5

risner, my apologies. I did in fact get this to work just as you said. I was simply approaching it the wrong way. By adding 1/2 the specific classes KValue into the kUserRanks, it produced the results I needed that didn't apply it across the hero. Thank you, thank you, and thank you. What I found out is, the only thing I needed to modify was the kUserRanks, as any other modification to kUserPts, kValueX, or the class/cross-class skills of the class were just too inter-connected to not affect something. When I realized that the only thing tracked by class was in the kValue, and the only thing I needed to modify was the kUserRanks, add 0.5 * that kValue back into the kUserRanks worked like a charm, and without messing up any other classes that are using the same skill as cross-class or class. Thank you once again (this was the one and only thing I couldn't stomach a half measure on).

Dark Lord Galen September 29th, 2016 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendall-DM (Post 52995)
risner, my apologies. I did in fact get this to work just as you said. I was simply approaching it the wrong way. By adding 1/2 the specific classes KValue into the kUserRanks, it produced the results I needed that didn't apply it across the hero. Thank you, thank you, and thank you.

Kendall DM (or any), could you clarify the code you used to "make this work"? As the thread mentions and your determinations, adding a skill is pretty straight forward, but I need to create some that are cross-class, specifically languages that would be more difficult to learn. Using Skills would seem the easiest approach except not knowing how to make them cross-class and thus more difficult to master. I think yours is the solution I am needing.
Thanks for the response in advance

Dark Lord Galen September 20th, 2018 06:31 PM

Thread Bump.... Still trying to figure this out..any help is appreciated

Sendric September 21st, 2018 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen (Post 270661)
Thread Bump.... Still trying to figure this out..any help is appreciated

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you want what Kendall did, then the script he posted above looks like an eval rule:

Code:

@valid = 1
doneif (#levelcount[Bard] >= 1)

var genRanks as number
genRanks = (#totallevelcount[] + 3) / 2
if (#skillranks[kSpeakLang] > genRanks) then
@message = "Skill " & hero.child[kSpeakLang].field[name].text & " has too many ranks for a general skill."
@valid = 0
endif

PS. If you just want a new skill to be cross-class, then you don't need to do anything. All skills are cross-class unless a class is assigned that class as a class skill.

Dark Lord Galen September 21st, 2018 06:08 AM

Sendric, Thanks For Rapid Response.... there was a short between the floor and the keyboard.... :p

When adding more language types (in this case there is a series of gestures and visual markers ) unique to The World of Greyhawk's "Gnarley Rangers" that allow them to mark a trail warning of dangers or things nearby. As this is only learnable from a specific type of Ranger I wanted to set the degree of difficulty up a notch.

BUTTTTT I had forgotten that when setting up other campaign specific languages to show as selections on the Personal tab, I had duplicated the list in both the languages and skills tabs in the editor user file. I was adding this particular "secret language" on the wrong tab oooopppps...

Thanks Again:D

Dark Lord Galen September 21st, 2018 06:13 AM

Since I did manage to find the correct tab to play in.... heheh
This does prose a different question since I have a semi-captive" audience...
In skills there is a "linked Attribute" that will add that bonus to the skill. But with this particular skill it grants +1% per point of intelligence not the modifier. So how would I approach that in an eval script?

Sendric September 21st, 2018 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen (Post 270679)
Since I did manage to find the correct tab to play in.... heheh
This does prose a different question since I have a semi-captive" audience...
In skills there is a "linked Attribute" that will add that bonus to the skill. But with this particular skill it grants +1% per point of intelligence not the modifier. So how would I approach that in an eval script?

Does this mean if my character has a 10 INT, he would gain a 10% increase in his skill? If so, 10% of what?

Regardless, an eval script seems more than capable of handling this. You'll probably want to use hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value as your percentage score than multiply it by whatever your base is and add the result to the skill as a bonus.

Dark Lord Galen September 21st, 2018 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sendric (Post 270681)
Does this mean if my character has a 10 INT, he would gain a 10% increase in his skill? If so, 10% of what?

Sorry I left you in the dark.. Since the bulk of The World of Greyhawk setting was written based on a 2e platform, rolls were set to a percentage...
For simplicity sake I have made a table decision in this case to "convert" that value one for one as an ability modifier to be in sync with the spirit of the 2e history yet modernizing to use a 3.5 skill /DC guideline...

So in this case, the original 2e had that chance to successfully understand set at 30% +1% per point of intelligence. Making even a genius level of intelligence have just under 50/50 chance of success.
So to mimic in 3.5e An 18 in intelligence would add 18 skill points yielding 9 skill points to add to the cross class skill Gnarley Secret Sign.
To conclude, this would make the wizard with the same intelligence in both 2e & 3.5e with no ranks in Gnarely Secret Sign to have just slightly less than 50% if the DC was set at DC20.

So that defines where I would like to end up, now to reverse engineer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sendric (Post 270681)
Regardless, an eval script seems more than capable of handling this. You'll probably want to use hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value as your percentage score than multiply it by whatever your base is and add the result to the skill as a bonus.

And with the above what phase and priority would be best?
I presume post attribute (since user phases are presumably being phased out?) and maybe 10,000?

Thanks again for rapid feedback

Sendric September 21st, 2018 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen (Post 270682)
And with the above what phase and priority would be best?
I presume post attribute (since user phases are presumably being phased out?) and maybe 10,000?

Thanks again for rapid feedback

Yes, post-attributes/10000 should work.

PS. This feels more like it being just a secret language than a skill. If a character has a percentage chance to learn it, then either they learn it or they don't....kinda like the druid language.

Dark Lord Galen September 21st, 2018 08:19 AM

Ok, Set Phase and Priority as noted above but still getting tripped up by something minor.
Getting an error when testing from "eval" script for Thing KGHGnScSgn (Skill Greyhawk Gnarley Secret Sign ID) on line 2 > Unspecified error parsing script.

Below is the script, not seeing the obvious I guess

~Modifier to account for additional Intelligence~~
[Totals].hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value + round(field[kUserPts].value, 0, -1)

Dark Lord Galen September 21st, 2018 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sendric (Post 270684)
PS. This feels more like it being just a secret language than a skill. If a character has a percentage chance to learn it, then either they learn it or they don't....kinda like the druid language.

True can see that perspective, and is called a "language of sorts" in 2e, yet is one of few that had a % roll to discern what was being communicated... Hind sight for the 2e bunch would have been to make it a form of communication as apposed to a fully-blown language, but they at the time (talking with Eric Mona & Skip Willaims) didn't consider that when the mechanics changed and verbage became cloudy.
The full context description of the "Skill" is as follows:
Quote:

Gnarley rangers have an equally complex set of signals in the form of terrain markers: scratches left on trees, a wedge cut out of a capped fungus, interweaving of small branches or ferns, and the like.
These signals generally indicate fairly simple things, often warnings relating to dangerous terrain, crossings, traps or monsters (kech, orcs, etc.).

Gnarley rangers of any level are proficient in this signaling system, and nonGnarley rangers will not be able to recognize it unless taught by one of their brethren who knows it well.

Most Gnarley woodsmen know something of this signaling system (A successful Know Local: Verbobonc, Dyvers, Celene, Wildcoast DC15) , since rangers often leave signs to warn them of perils and hazards.
Red text added to bring to a 3.5e game mechanic.

It would be akin to calling stop signs, oneway street, safe camp ahead, or water source this way.... a language...

Plus it also works with a Spot check if noticed, but meaning may not be known.

Sendric September 21st, 2018 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen (Post 270687)
Ok, Set Phase and Priority as noted above but still getting tripped up by something minor.
Getting an error when testing from "eval" script for Thing KGHGnScSgn (Skill Greyhawk Gnarley Secret Sign ID) on line 2 > Unspecified error parsing script.

Below is the script, not seeing the obvious I guess

[Totals].hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value + round(field[kUserPts].value, 0, -1)

Red text looks fishy to me. Blue text should be += perhaps?

Sendric September 21st, 2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen (Post 270688)
It would be akin to calling stop signs, oneway street, safe camp ahead, or water source this way.... a language...

Plus it also works with a Spot check if noticed, but meaning may not be known.

I guess that all makes sense well enough then. As much as anything from 2e makes sense anyway.

Dark Lord Galen September 21st, 2018 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sendric (Post 270689)
Red text looks fishy to me. Blue text should be += perhaps?

I tossed in the [Totals] from another script trying to get the two to sum. Removing it and adding the = as suggested removes the error, but doesn't seem to acknowledge the add of the intelligence attribute points to the skillpoints.:confused:

Sendric September 21st, 2018 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen (Post 270692)
I tossed in the [Totals] from another script trying to get the two to sum. Removing it and adding the = as suggested removes the error, but doesn't seem to acknowledge the add of the intelligence attribute points to the skillpoints.:confused:

Can you give me the entire script? I feel like there should be more to this that I'm not seeing.

Dark Lord Galen September 21st, 2018 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sendric (Post 270693)
Can you give me the entire script? I feel like there should be more to this that I'm not seeing.

Phase:Post-attributes Priority: 10000 Index: 3
hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value += round(field[kUserPts].value, 0, -1)

http://forums.wolflair.com/attachmen...1&d=1537550715

Sendric September 21st, 2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen (Post 270694)
Phase:Post-attributes Priority: 10000 Index: 3
hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value += round(field[kUserPts].value, 0, -1)

Ok. What field are you trying to modify? Right now, it's aFinalVal on INT, which is likely not correct.

PS. I think you must be trying to add these two numbers together, which you can do with a variable:

Code:

var bonus as number
bonus = hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value + round(field[kUserPts].value, 0, -1)

Then it's a matter of what you do with that number, which is what my question was alluding to.

Dark Lord Galen September 21st, 2018 09:34 AM

I presume the KUserPts?

We should be taking the total that the Intelligence attribute (instead of just the modifier by checking the box) lets say 12, and adding the Points in the Secret Sign Skill points assigned, lets say 6, totaling that number and dividing it by 2 to account for cross class skill to get the modifier.

(12+6)/2=9 ranks in the skill

Sendric September 21st, 2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen (Post 270696)
I presume the KUserPts?

We should be taking the total that the Intelligence attribute (instead of just the modifier by checking the box) lets say 12, and adding the Points in the Secret Sign Skill points assigned, lets say 6, totaling that number and dividing it by 2 to account for cross class skill to get the modifier.

(12+6)/2=9 ranks in the skill

kUserPts = points spent in skill. this isn't a field you want to be modifying in general. I'm not even sure it's the field you want for finding your modifier. Assuming you want to add this modifier as a bonus, I would do this:

Code:

var bonus as number
bonus = hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value + round(field[kUserRanks].value, 0, -1)

field[Bonus].value += bonus

Dark Lord Galen September 21st, 2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sendric (Post 270697)
kUserPts = points spent in skill. this isn't a field you want to be modifying in general. I'm not even sure it's the field you want for finding your modifier. Assuming you want to add this modifier as a bonus, I would do this:

Code:

var bonus as number
bonus = hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value + round(field[kUserRanks].value, 0, -1)

I thought about that but was under the impression that kuserranks was after all calculations took place for that skill which is why I attempted to go upstream to the points feeding it...
The script above is close, but does not cross class the intelligence points. Seems to add them down stream of the Cross Class Calculations...

So I just added a / 2 behind the aFinalVal Value and that seems to work

Sendric September 21st, 2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen (Post 270698)
I thought about that but was under the impression that kuserranks was after all calculations took place for that skill which is why I attempted to go upstream to the points feeding it...
The script above is close, but does not cross class the intelligence points. Seems to add them down stream of the Cross Class Calculations...

So I just added a / 2 behind the aFinalVal Value and that seems to work

hmm.....looking more closely at it, I think you may have intended to do the /2 in the round equation, thusly:

Code:

var bonus as number
bonus = hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value + round(field[kUserRanks].value/2, 0, -1)

Otherwise, the equation "round(field[kUserRanks].value, 0, -1)" just equals "field[kUserRanks].value", making the round unnecessary.

PS. Check that. Based on your equation above ((12+6)/2=9), it should be:

Code:

var bonus as number
bonus = hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value + field[kUserRanks].value
bonus = round(bonus/2, 0, -1)

Dark Lord Galen September 21st, 2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sendric (Post 270700)
hmm.....looking more closely at it, I think you may have intended to do the /2 in the round equation, thusly:

PS. Check that. Based on your equation above ((12+6)/2=9), it should be:

Code:

var bonus as number
bonus = hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value + field[kUserRanks].value
bonus = round(bonus/2, 0, -1)

Oddly when road testing it does as designed.. at first....
adding 1 point gives the result 6 1/2 as it should
adding 2 point gives the result 7 as it should
adding 3 point gives the result 7 1/2 as it should
adding 4 point gives the result 9 which is not as it should
adding 5 point gives the result 9 1/2 which is not as it should
adding 6 point gives the result 10 which is not as it should

Not sure where 8 went or what is causing the skip

Sendric September 21st, 2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen (Post 270702)
Oddly when road testing it does as designed.. at first....
adding 1 point gives the result 6 1/2 as it should
adding 2 point gives the result 7 as it should
adding 3 point gives the result 7 1/2 as it should
adding 4 point gives the result 9 which is not as it should
adding 5 point gives the result 9 1/2 which is not as it should
adding 6 point gives the result 10 which is not as it should

Not sure where 8 went or what is causing the skip

Yes, that's actually correct, which I will show below.

Incidentally, kUserRanks is already accounting for cross-class skill. Looking at the fields on the skill, I see the following when adding 8 points to the skill:

kUserPts = 8
kUserRanks = 4

This means we probably don't want to divide that number again, so I've modified the script to this:

Code:

var bonus as number
bonus = hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value/2 + field[kUserRanks].value
bonus = round(bonus, 0, -1)

As for the math, let's look at it this way:

User Points - User Ranks - Bonus - Total
1 - 0 - 6 - 6
2 - 1 - 7 - 8
3 - 1 - 7 - 8
4 - 2 - 8 - 10
5 - 2 - 8 - 10
6 - 3 - 9 - 12

User Points = total points applied to this skill by player
User Ranks = 1/2 User Points
Bonus = 1/2 INT score + User Ranks
Total = Bonus + Ranks

PS Sorry the table isn't cleaner. Let me know if it's confusing.

Kendall-DM September 22nd, 2018 11:34 AM

Not really sure what you guys are doing.

I'm assuming that the Gnarley Secret Sign is actually a skill, correct?

Then this line kinda bugs me.

Code:

Taking the kUserRanks from the skill, and then adding them back into the skill total, seems to add half of its ranks back in again.

This code probably only needs to add half the INT into the bonus, and nothing more than that. There is no need to round if the kUserRanks are already cross class.

Code:

field[Bonus].value += hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value/2

Therefore, with an Intelligence of 12/2 returning 6, we get the following:
  • adding 1 point gives the result 6 1/2 (6 + 1/2 rank)
  • adding 2 point gives the result 7 (6 + 1 rank)
  • adding 3 point gives the result 7 1/2 (6 + 1 1/2 rank)
  • adding 4 point gives the result 8 (6 + 2 rank)
  • adding 5 point gives the result 8 1/2 (6 + 2 1/2 rank)
  • adding 6 point gives the result 9 (6 + 3 rank)

I believe this is what you are trying to get to, or am I misunderstanding this?

Dark Lord Galen September 23rd, 2018 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendall-DM (Post 270758)

Therefore, with an Intelligence of 12/2 returning 6, we get the following:
  • adding 1 point gives the result 6 1/2 (6 + 1/2 rank)
  • adding 2 point gives the result 7 (6 + 1 rank)
  • adding 3 point gives the result 7 1/2 (6 + 1 1/2 rank)
  • adding 4 point gives the result 8 (6 + 2 rank)
  • adding 5 point gives the result 8 1/2 (6 + 2 1/2 rank)
  • adding 6 point gives the result 9 (6 + 3 rank)

I believe this is what you are trying to get to, or am I misunderstanding this?

*** Somewhat long winded response** :D
Kendall,
Yes, Spot on.... the intent is to make it a "language" that is applied as a skill.
As mentioned it originated as a 2e "language" with a % roll to determine success. While I "could" choose to say its all or none like a "druid secret language" I Was trying to remain faithful to the origins that had some degree of variable that could be modified with a greater degree of intelligence on the character's part AND bring that application to a usable mechanic in a D20 3.5 Rule structure.

This is the reasoning behind taking the 1/2 value of the whole of intelligence and not just the modifier (since origin applied the actual attribute number not just the bonus). This approach puts the character with an 18 in intelligence and NO additional skill points at slightly less than 50/50% chance in 3.5e just like 2e. (Base 30% +18= 40% for 2e vs Skill Ranks untrained (18/2=)9 vs DC20 (45% for 3.5e)) And then allows the player a chance to improve the skill with anything after allowing the character to improve their chance of success by adding ranks as a cross class for everyone EXCEPT a Ranger (which I will handle independent of this part of the code once it works).

The reason I employ "language" as a moniker is because it is how it was viewed originally in 2e AND I add some code to have it show up in Herolab on personal tab under the languages for the player out of convenience as a reminder it's there for use.

The snap shot provided below ( {text 00FF} )also adds some HTML color coding to the text descriptor that tells the player items in "Green" are not core rules but additional "homebrew or previous edition rules" not in 3.5e PHB.

**Sidebar not anything to do with this piece of code but bigger picture of why I'm doing this. **

Generally, IMC we take language knowledge to a progressive level. While you can learn a language, you also develop a degree of expertise in that language. So to Speak Quenya (a form of elven in our campaign) you gain a basic conversational understanding (in this case a Language>Quenya - Ranks[1] shows in skills to go along with the language itself in the personal tab.

This allows the character the ability to have some basic communication skills in the language, but not proficient in writing it or speaking without an accent. Mastery of reading and writing it is at [5] ranks in that language. For basic communication this is a non-impact other than some roleplay confusions to word choices at times.

But when it comes to writings, and ancient languages this really comes into play.

With bards, and scholars become far more valuable when going through old tomes and maps when ancient dialects have old forgotten languages. So mastery of base languages as a prerequisite to read them (with a reasonable DC), makes those classes invaluable to access special spells and lost info that might not be known to the less learned. Without the additional training in those language skills, the DC to read the item becomes increasingly difficult.

Hope that clarifies.