Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Mutants & Masterminds (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   (M&M 3e) PL Checks (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60466)

jmucchiello March 31st, 2018 08:20 AM

PL Checks

I want to modify how power level is enforced. Normally these two rules are enforced:
Toughness + Dodge <= PL*2
Toughness + Parry <= PL*2

This usually results in Dodge = Parry or one of the active defenses is below the PL limit. So how do I implement

Toughness*2 + Dodge + Parry <= PL*4

Which would allow, for example, Tough 10, Dodge 13, Parry 7 at PL 10.

I'm guessing it has to be added as a procedure but how do I also disable the default checks?

Darkkon278 March 31st, 2018 08:48 PM

what part of hero lab you are seeing this in.

Duggan March 31st, 2018 09:32 PM

Oof... that's a pretty fundamental thing. Your best bet is to look at the ".hlz" file in the ProgramData folder when you have the 3E files loaded, but I'm not currently in the position to try to track down which procedure handles this.

jmucchiello March 31st, 2018 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggan (Post 265024)
Oof... that's a pretty fundamental thing. Your best bet is to look at the ".hlz" file in the ProgramData folder when you have the 3E files loaded, but I'm not currently in the position to try to track down which procedure handles this.

Nothing let's me open the .hlz files. How does one look at those files? If I could look at the XML this would be easy. But the compiled .hlz files don't seem to be reversible.

Duggan April 1st, 2018 12:07 PM

When HeroLab is open, it's basically a text file with XML of the various calculations and rules. It's not really something you can change, but you can sometimes look up what to replace.

jmucchiello April 2nd, 2018 08:56 PM

I've been a computer programmer for 30 years on Windows in C++. I have no idea what you mean but "it's basically a text file with XML of...." as it related to the running program. Where is this basic text file that one can look at?

Duggan April 3rd, 2018 06:56 AM

You can open it in any text editor. Go to your Game System data folder and open data.hlz. Some of it is not human-readable (I think it's binary data), but most of the scripts are visible. To find what to search for, use the HeroLab diagnostics to determine field names for things like PL.

I will try to remember to get you more detailed data tonight when I get home.

Duggan April 3rd, 2018 07:02 PM

It looks like 3E uses the linkages on the saves to do the calculations. You might be able to rig up the Tradeoff script to take items that have two tradeoffs, and instead do the calculation as planned, but I don't know if it would work with things like Validation.

I really can't tell for certain, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this is, indeed, too fundamental to the system.