Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - World of Darkness (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Vampire: The Masquerade (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=12311)

Darkholme January 30th, 2011 02:42 AM

Vampire: The Masquerade

So: I've been converting Vampire: the Masquerade data into nWoD stuff using the translation guide, and putting it into HL, replacing V:tR options, the past couple days.

I don't have everything done, but the most of the main clans are there (no assamite yet, and no blood magic yet).

However, most of the clans and disciplines have been typed in.

Any feedback is welcome.

[Edit]Heh.. forgot to put the link.

Duggan January 30th, 2011 05:43 AM

:) Good man. We can always use people willing to step forward and enter in the data. :-P "We" being me as part of the general community and nothing official, of course.

Darkholme January 30th, 2011 06:28 PM

Is it just me and rob using HL for WoD? lol. There doesn't seem to be much activity on these forums under WoD at least.

W/E. (I'm going to use it anyways now that I have it, which means I'll be wanting datafiles that have not been completed.)

I'm more likely to do ones I'll use though, so Werewolf, Promethean, and Mage are less important to me than say, Hunter, Immortals, Infernals, Skinwalkers, and Changing Breeds. (I recognize I'll have to enter new template creatures as though they were an old template, but I guess that's what I'll have to do for a while, and then do it in such a way that I can just run a batch script on the XML to change them to the new template if it ever gets done.)

But yeah: First VtM, then CtL. I'll do a different dataset for each book as I work on them.

It seems odd to me that there are not very many others making nWoD datafiles, but w/e.

Maybe if I keep plugging away at the datafiles, It'll inspire others to pitch in and do the same.

Pali January 31st, 2011 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkholme (Post 51206)
It seems odd to me that there are not very many others making nWoD datafiles, but w/e.

Cause I'm too stupid.
i.e.
I don't know how to add a new Template.
I don't know how to add the *.user package to the "Configure Your Character" window.

A step by step guide might help me a lot.

Darkholme January 31st, 2011 05:04 AM

I'm far from an expert, I've just been messing with it since I bought it thursday.

However it's definitely doable.

You can't add a new template, just add resources for templates that already exist.

If you want to add a new template, for now I'd say add it under an existing template (whichever is mechanically closest) and if we have the datasets done, it's an incentive for them to add the template (they could convert it from one format to another so long as your .user file only has stuff for the one template in it).

Advice I'd give you: In the editor, click help: go through the tutorials, they're pretty short. Do them in order, and you should be able to do pretty much anything.

I do have one major question though: "Test Now!" adds a thing to the character builder. How do I add an entire .user file at once?

Duggan January 31st, 2011 09:19 AM

Lastly, to use .user files, just drop the file in the system folder of your HeroLab\Data\ folder, for this game system, mine is "c:\HeroLab\Data\wod\"

As for compiling it all at once, try Develop/Compile Data Files and/or Develop/Quickly Reload Data Files. I haven't done much experimentation with it on account of me doing most of my fixes myself (for Mutants and Masterminds, so I'm afraid I'm not much help here) and I'll be running them one at a time.

unforgivn March 3rd, 2011 05:52 AM

I'll probably buy the WoD module for HL in the next few days and start entering WtF data (couldn't talk my players into running Promethean :(). I'll post anything I make here when it's working.

albrtrbrtsn March 8th, 2011 09:49 PM

Good luck everyone! Hope everything's gonna work.

saydrekoth September 17th, 2011 06:55 AM

I understand that there's a great deal of experimentation going on with additions to HL. That being said, I think there are not enough volunteers to assist in the testing of such "User-specific" data sets as I like to think of them as.

I won't mind stepping up to assist anyone that has such data sets, provided that I have instructions on how to protect the HL core files or at least how to back them up externally should something "blow up".

peteday December 17th, 2011 02:04 PM

V20?

Just got my V20 book a few weeks ago. Any chance Hero Lab will support this through their license with White Wolf. I bet the response would be amazing, as was the response to the no V20 book.