Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Auto-grant a feat for all characters? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=13370)

Adam.Ormond June 29th, 2011 09:03 AM

Auto-grant a feat for all characters?

I want to implement a house rule that grants Weapon Finesse to all characters, but only if they actually qualify for the feat. I know I can add a data file to bootstrap it, like so:

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<document signature="Hero Lab Structure">
        <bootstrap index="278" thing="fWepFin"/>
</document>

But this ignores the pre-reqs. Is there a more elegant solution?

Mathias June 29th, 2011 09:44 AM

You can use the Mechanics tab instead of hacking it into the program. All mechanics are added to all characters, so you can bootstrap the feat from the mechanic. That also allows you to add a source to the mechanic, so that this only applies to someone who wants to make use of this house rule.

I'm afraid you'll need to use a script to figure out whether the character qualifies for that feat. If they don't qualify, then find the feat you bootstrapped, and assign the following tags:

Helper.FtHide
Helper.FtDisable
thing.skipprereq

That will hide the feat and disable its effects, so it will act as if it were never added. There's currently a bug in weapon finesse, so the disabling will not currently do anything (it'll act as if its still there), but once I get a chance to fix that, this will allow you to grant Weapon Finesse only under certain circumstances.

In the meantime, you can use the source you added to the Mechanic to manually decide whether that specific character qualifies - if they don't, turn off the source.

Adam.Ormond July 21st, 2011 03:37 PM

I created a source ("adamHRules") and a Mechanic ("mechHRules") which bootstraps the fWepFin thing. That part works fine, and when I select it in the Configure Character dialog, characters are granted the feat.

However, regardless of whether the source is selected in the Configure Character dialog, I receive the following error when loading a portfolio:
Code:

Attempt to access non-live source pick 'mechHRules' from script
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'BaseRace' (Eval Script '#16') near line 23
Attempt to access non-live source pick 'mechHRules' from script
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'BaseRace' (Eval Script '#16') near line 6

What am I doing wrong?

Adam.Ormond July 22nd, 2011 12:48 PM

Anyone? I can't figure out why 'BaseRace' is interacting with my mechanic, or how to stop it/fix it.

Mathias July 22nd, 2011 04:31 PM

Would you mind bumping this after Gen Con, please? I don't have enough time to study this right now.

A quick glance tells me the interaction is in the script that figures out whether a feat on the hero is one of those that will be suppressed when you click the "Customize?" checkbox for a race, but I can't see at a glance why it's a problem.

Adam.Ormond August 10th, 2011 06:04 AM

Any time to look into this now?

Adam.Ormond August 12th, 2011 09:32 AM

Still hoping for a fix or work-around that isn't 'hacking' the program :)

Charender August 31st, 2011 12:51 PM

I was attempting to do something similar(add a mechanic that grats certain feats for free), and I ran into a similar error.

When I open the portfolio, I get a bunch of errors:
Attempt to access non-live pick via script fails for pick 'mHouseRu' from script
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'BaseRace' (Eval Script '#16') near line 23

mHouseRu is the name of my house rule mechanic.

The problem appears when I add my summoner to the portfolio. After that, I have to create a new portfolio and import all of my other characters to make it go away.

Charender August 31st, 2011 12:57 PM

Double Post

Adam.Ormond September 2nd, 2011 09:37 AM

Yeah, I gave up hope on getting a fix. I'm back to 'hacking' the program -- the only way to do this that actually works without producing errors every time you open a portfolio.