Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Online Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Using HLO without internet access (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=62306)

RancidGoatPiss March 22nd, 2019 09:29 PM

Using HLO without internet access

Hello all, just a few questions on what features are available on HLO when internet access is unavailable at time. Typical gaming location has very slow or no internet. Other than creating/printing a character sheet and bringing it to the gaming location, what features does HLO have that can be used offline?

Techgnosis April 10th, 2019 03:22 PM

None sadly, which for me is a huge issue as I mostly play at either a store with no connection, or at conventions that have no wifi in the game rooms.

Toblakai April 10th, 2019 03:30 PM

Data usage is very low just tether your cell phone.

thaX April 10th, 2019 08:42 PM

There should be a way to view one's character without having to be online, what I call a "viewer" that HLO would have to view the character from a portfolio file. Right now, I don't believe they have implemented being able to save one's character, it being auto saved with each click of the choices made. I think.

That being said, they have made a better print option (though the character sheet looks... off) so the character can be used as a PDF on a reader or printed on this thing we call paper. There has been an "offline" mode mentioned elsewhere, but it is not implemented as of yet.

Ualaa April 13th, 2019 10:35 AM

It would be awesome to be able to upload to HLO from your classic portfolio.
And to download from HLO to the classic version, on a laptop or other device.

That way, if there were no internet connection, you could have the classic version of this amazing software, as your backup option.

Gobrious April 13th, 2019 04:26 PM

Especially when the servers crash at 8:30 Saturday night mid game, like they just did.

runnetib April 13th, 2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobrious (Post 277993)
Especially when the servers crash at 8:30 Saturday night mid game, like they just did.

True that. Now I can't get to print/finish leveling up my PCs to run our game. This is why people keep saying stick to HLC.

Farling April 13th, 2019 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobrious (Post 277993)

Or you play anywhere else in the world at the time that they are doing their weekly (or other) maintenance.

thaX April 14th, 2019 04:00 PM

Well, my idea of a reader would just be a character sheet with adjustable for game play, not the full character generator. It might even run on a browser in offline mode, as one does viewing some PDF files.

The offline mode that HLO has (I think it is implemented, right?) is more of a snapshot of the character, and nothing can be changed until one gets online again.

Printing the sheet to bring to the table is my preferred method of portability of the character. Hopefully, we have some choices in character sheets in the future and some way to effect editing or making our own like the previous Herolab Classic.

Farling April 14th, 2019 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaX (Post 278022)
The offline mode that HLO has (I think it is implemented, right?) is more of a snapshot of the character, and nothing can be changed until one gets online again.

Does it have one?

The only feature I know about is printing, so you could print to a PDF and view that on your offline device.