Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   pdf manual? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=48840)

daplunk August 29th, 2017 03:18 PM

If there's something we havn't covered please let us know. Always happy to make more.

wurzel August 29th, 2017 05:18 PM

Hm... how about German language videos? For those of us who are not native speakers it's sometimes hard to follow the videos especially if they have an australian touch... :D

Fact is, what I'm missing sometimes is an alphabetical reference document. I hate to have to brachiate through long videos only to find out that the topic I'm looking for isn't covered. I know documentation is often considered the worst part of software development, but nevertheless it usually contributes a lot to the commercial success of a software.

daplunk August 29th, 2017 05:21 PM

German might be a problem haha

We did talk about making a community pack with how-to information that could be imported straight into Realm Works.

Acenoid August 29th, 2017 05:54 PM

good idea :)

kbs666 August 29th, 2017 06:21 PM

I can read/write German a little but my accent is atrocious. You do not want me trying to make videos in German.

I have done i18n and l10n on software projects and could co-ordinate and explain the process if LWD made the appropriate files available.

Greebo August 29th, 2017 09:43 PM

I am kind of fluent in both German and English, but currently lack the time for such a large project.

Still, I would be willing to help with it.

kbs666 August 30th, 2017 12:37 PM

The great thing about translation of software is it can be done a single asset a time.

You get a file that contains a long list of the various text pieces used in the game. Generally there are 3 entries. The programs internal name for the thing, the base language version, what needs to be translated, and a blank space. So all the translator has to do is translate that term or phrase from one language to another and fill in the blank. The internal reference allows lookup of the term and a fuller explanation in case of confusion.

One German, Spanish Italian etc. speaker or a dozen could conceivably contribute to such a project as long as we had one person willing to look over the final product and make sure there were no glaring errors, swear words etc.

This of course assumes that LWD has even set RW up for i18n which IIRC from an earlier discussion of this subject they may not have.

Shadowy_one August 31st, 2017 12:22 AM

I'm a German-American native-speaker, so I'ld be glad to help. I just don't have much time on my hands, because of my day-job. :(

Merion August 31st, 2017 03:32 AM

I too share the german-english ability but sadly also the lack of time.

Farnaby September 1st, 2017 02:10 PM

I'm english-german bilingual as well.

We could split up the translation into segments and each do a bit at a time.