Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   An Update from Rob (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=63258)

Toblakai September 29th, 2019 12:48 AM

I think the problem is that Realm Works has a much smaller potential user base. HL is good for all players and GM's. RW is only useful to GM's, which my anecdotal evidence puts that at roughly 20-25% of players. In addition it only is really full used by GM's that like to create their own worlds and have the time to do that. FG probably can cover a lot of the use cases for potential RW customers for GM's that don't create their own worlds and want to buy premade content.

Valyar September 29th, 2019 01:04 AM

At the moment I use the application as database for everything from rules and player-related content to monsters, adventures and campaigns.

Each rulebook is fully uploaded in RW. The content is 1:1 with the book, but in much more organized way and all relevant articles shared with my players. This is so much convenient and it actually improves every damn aspect of my RPG hobby.

They simply failed to capitalize on what amazing piece of software this product is. :(

Viking2054 September 29th, 2019 04:16 AM

Any chance of opening up the content market to user submissions of original material? I know copyrighted intellectual property would be off the table, but user submitted npc's, monsters, plots and such that don't violate anyone's IP could be nice to have access to and might earn you and the creator some coin as well.

Akodoken September 29th, 2019 07:50 AM

I am disappointed as well.

I saw there was a new stable release which addressed some of the bugs. On Friday, I decided to fire up RW again and I was happy with the updates. I bought the three Kobold Press releases for RW. Then last night I come home from game night to see this announcement.

Man, my timing could not have been worse...

I hope you find your footing again. HeroLab is one of my favorite pieces of software and there is now some major competition out there.

Greebo September 29th, 2019 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 282661)
If its dead would you guys considering releasing the source code?

+1

Sadly, I am no programmer, but maybe those with the skills in the community could salvage RW and unleash its full potential.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Toblakai (Post 282672)
I think the problem is that Realm Works has a much smaller potential user base. HL is good for all players and GM's. RW is only useful to GM's, which my anecdotal evidence puts that at roughly 20-25% of players. In addition it only is really full used by GM's that like to create their own worlds and have the time to do that. FG probably can cover a lot of the use cases for potential RW customers for GM's that don't create their own worlds and want to buy premade content.

Yes and no. Like I said in a thread, that got deleted, Realm Works could have had a much larger user base, if creative writers would have been targeted as well. That is something the World Anvil devs are doing.

Farling September 29th, 2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greebo (Post 282682)
+1Sadly, I am no programmer, but maybe those with the skills in the community could salvage RW and unleash its full potential.

If I saw the code, the first thing I'd do is shift it from their windows-locked toolkit to Qt. Then it would be simple to get it on Mac and Linux too :-)

Toblakai September 29th, 2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greebo (Post 282682)
+1

Yes and no. Like I said in a thread, that got deleted, Realm Works could have had a much larger user base, if creative writers would have been targeted as well. That is something the World Anvil devs are doing.

Yeah, this would have been a good target also. But I suspect this is an even smaller audience than GM's.

Valyar September 29th, 2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 282685)
If I saw the code, the first thing I'd do is shift it from their windows-locked toolkit to Qt. Then it would be simple to get it on Mac and Linux too :-)

I would have done the same. It will also reduce the cost as what they currently use is not free.

Toblakai September 29th, 2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valyar (Post 282690)
I would have done the same. It will also reduce the cost as what they currently use is not free.

Not sure when RW development started for sure but it looks like before 2010. QT would be a good choice now, but back then it was not as obvious a solution as it would be now. Mac support wasn't added until the very end of 2009, possibly after the choice of development platform was made.

You also assume it would reduce the cost, they are paying for a library because the platform didn't have support for the features they needed. It is very possible that QT did not have that support also, necessitating that they pay for a third party tool also.

ruhar September 29th, 2019 01:10 PM

I am shocked, saddened, and angry. (FYI before you slam me for that there is nothing wrong with feeling all that including anger.)

I have done my share of complaining but I have also tried to be supportive and cheered for LWD. Because of that I am sad that RW didn’t make it. I’m also angry because the ball was dropped. There are some faults and there are some circumstances that couldn’t be helped.

I wish LWD does well going forward. I just ask that you consider options to allow RW continue forward in some manner. There have been some good suggestions or maybe sell it to someone or a company that is willing to work with it and help it grow into the great product it was meant to be. I still believe in it and don’t want it to wither and die.

For those having to leave LWD I’m sorry you have to leave and wish you well.

Farewell
Ruhar


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright 1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.