Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works in Action (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Mac OSX Version of Realmworks (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=59543)

Thrantor November 16th, 2017 10:23 AM

Mac OSX Version of Realmworks

Has there been a recent update on when there will be a Mac OSX version of Realmworks?

daplunk November 16th, 2017 01:15 PM

Last I heard there is a core element within Realm Works that is not compatible on OSX making it very difficult to port over. I would wager their focus will be on web view which will allow you to use it on OSX.

Parody November 16th, 2017 04:23 PM

Exactly: there will likely never be an OS X native version of RW. Windows and Web.

kbs666 November 19th, 2017 07:13 AM

RW runs in the .NET framework. .Net only runs on Windows.

Parody November 19th, 2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 258959)
RW runs in the .NET framework. .Net only runs on Windows.

Not completely accurate; things like Mono and .NET Core let you create and/or run .NET applications on other OSes. Mono was how the LWD folks thought they could bring RW to OS X, for example.

The problem is that there are many parts of the various libraries that aren't supported in these other implementations of the framework and its libraries.

Edit:I removed an incorrect statement. See below for more info. My apologies, everyone. :(

kbs666 November 19th, 2017 11:54 AM

That just shows how thoroughly unfamiliar with the realities of .Net they must have been.

Mono is not and likely never will be suitable for serious software. Just as a single example Mono uses a terrible, as in might as well not even be there, GC. IIRC they have finally implemented something approaching a modern GC but I don't remember where that stood in the development cycle.

Parody November 19th, 2017 06:34 PM

Bah, I crossed things up in my head again. I'm sorry, everyone.

.NET Core won't support WinForms.

Mono does reimplement good chunks of it, but there are other things that are missing like WMI and the DevExpress third-party library they use doesn't support Mono.

I need to reread my own old posts more. Also write more code so this stuff is fresh in my head. :(

Valyar November 25th, 2017 11:47 AM

I used RW with Parallels and VirtualBox. Since it was Air model, the rendering of tabs with many snippets took few secs longer but it was doable. What I am still missing is damn detachable tabs!

Virtualization is the easiest way to use the product. I don’t think LWD will do anything in macOS direction.

Thrantor December 6th, 2017 11:21 AM

That is most unfortunate. I really like Hero Labs for Mac... It means I don't have to buy, update and keep an entire other instance of an operating system for just Realm Works.

The web version... I haven't seen anything about that yet. Is there a URL to use or is it not available yet?

Valyar December 6th, 2017 11:38 AM

At least it is acceptable alternative to the struggle with Wine. :)
Also you can dual boot with boot camp, but then you need windows license if you don’t want to reinstall. With VMs those tricks are easier.

As for the web version - nothing yet and with the content market delay we don’t know what other features will suffer in the long run. No roadmap from devs.