Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Feature Request: Interactive character sheet for PC? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=54353)

Techgnosis November 25th, 2015 12:12 PM

Feature Request: Interactive character sheet for PC?

So I saw there is a current beta version, and was hoping this feature would be added in a new version, but doesn't seem to be the case.
I *hate* my ipad, and when it dies I will not be replacing it. Sadly I do love Hero Lab on it. At this point I have come to the sad but clear understanding that an Android version isnt going to happen.
My question is what are the chances of adding an interactive character sheet tab, similar to the ipad version? Most folks I know who use Hero Lab use either a laptop, or more commonly, a Surface tablet.

charlieluce November 25th, 2015 02:39 PM

Yeah, this comes up every so often. With the rising popularity of Windows 10 hybrid PCs it would be nice to have the tablet interface for Windows, though I'd want it to have landscape as well as portrait mode since I Pathfinder on a touchscreen laptop.

JustinThomason November 25th, 2015 11:04 PM

+1 for me.

I only ever use HL on a laptop, and have no plans whatever to buy an iPad. I love using HL at the table, but the interface is not particularly well suited for at table play in its current form.

noobzor November 27th, 2015 11:18 AM

I have been borrowing a Surface Pro 4 from work to play with, and I have to say using Hero Lab as a GM running the games is just fantastic on that thing, especially with the awesome pen that comes with the Surface. It works like a dream. Using it as a player, though, still leaves much to be desired. I have never used the iPad app, so I can't speak to that, but an interface for PC that is better suited as an interactive character sheet would be awesome.

Exmortis November 27th, 2015 04:28 PM

I am the opposite and so is my entire group.

We started as 7 PC users, then slowly three shifted to their IPADS.

Now one of those has gone back to PC and the others running MACs with same PC interface.

So far with out exception it is faster, cleaner and less cumbersome to use the PC version, especially in a high buffing group. Our experience was not good, IPAD users were slower and always scrolling and hunting for what we can do in two or three mouse clicks.

On my SP3 as much as I loved the pen, the lack of a scroll mechanism made it impossible to use in the end, the HL pop-ups are not static nor have a "clickable" scroll bar, so your left with no easy way to read the entire window of text. However on the tac console? Yeah I can see the pen being pretty slick.

However, what I would not give for better high PPI screen scaling. in weapons window for example attacks text gets buried under the weapon name.

Lexin November 27th, 2015 10:52 PM

I have never tried running HL as a substitute for a paper character sheet - I might have a go when I start being a player in a CofC game, rather than a GM. I did think iPad would be the way to go (and HL doesn't have CofC character sheets on the iPad yet) but if people find that a PC works well, I could try my laptop.

Thanks for the idea.

Farling November 28th, 2015 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exmortis (Post 219840)
On my SP3 as much as I loved the pen, the lack of a scroll mechanism made it impossible to use in the end, the HL pop-ups are not static nor have a "clickable" scroll bar, so your left with no easy way to read the entire window of text. However on the tac console? Yeah I can see the pen being pretty slick.

Two-finger scrolling on the touchpad of my Dell XPS12 seems to work just fine in the pop-up information boxes.

(Only mentioning Dell since everyone else keeps mentioning Microsoft products.)

Exmortis November 28th, 2015 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexin (Post 219842)
I have never tried running HL as a substitute for a paper character sheet - I might have a go when I start being a player in a CofC game, rather than a GM. I did think iPad would be the way to go (and HL doesn't have CofC character sheets on the iPad yet) but if people find that a PC works well, I could try my laptop.

Thanks for the idea.

Once you use HL at the table, on PC or Tablet you will never ever go back to paper. When you have a Bard who sings, casts a buff, a sorc who buffs, a pally with radius affects all being done in a combat, with enemies who debuff?

Hero Lab is a god send, once you add spell and class abilities to tab, they are a click away from affecting you, and HL takes care of it all. We would have to spend many minutes re calculating our sheets all the time, but no more.

As GM, Hero Lab is even more useful. You can build the encounters run it all through the tac console and when monsters are debuffed, buffed like players you click to their sheet, and add the affect. Truly awesome.

Our current GM in Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords cannot stop raving about the Adventure Path encounter packs. He was our last hold out to move to HL, and now its biggest benefactor. Being able to load up the party in one portfolio, then simple load in the encounter organized like to book, and boom your off and running.

A few years ago GMs had the only computer at the table for word, PDFs etc. Now we all use PCs (lappies or Surface Pros) or tiny MAC lappies, and the GM often has two computers running and one or two screens facing the party.

though we still use minies on the big table, I am the GM who may bring VTT to the group, we will see how D20Pro Ultimate finishes.

Jamz November 30th, 2015 07:55 AM

+9000

liz November 30th, 2015 08:33 AM

@Techgnosis, if you're talking about the "change interface role" menu, that's actually for the Hero Lab team to use for debugging - it lets them load the iPad user interface in the main version of Hero Lab to see how things look. The interface isn't fully supported, so it's not available for use in the desktop version.

We're discussing some options for tablet users, but we don't have anything to announce right now. Believe me when I say that we hear the Android and Windows users. :)