Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Online Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   HLO Public API Debuts (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=64920)

rob October 16th, 2020 02:46 AM

HLO Public API Debuts

It's been a long time coming, but the HLO Public API has finally been released. It's now possible to extract character data on a one-time basis, as-needed via infrequent polling, or even through real-time notifications that provide a constant feed of every change made to a character.

At the moment, all of this yummy goodness is only available for Starfinder. We have one big piece left to complete for PF2, which we're working to have in place by the end of October. SR6 will take us a healthy amount of additional time, so there's no timetable on that yet.

There are two major components to the Public API. The first is the Export Format, and the second is the API itself.

The Export Format is a standardized, structured representation of HLO characters, which is consistent across all game systems. The specifics for each game system are obviously distinct, but the data model is identical, and the only differences are at the lowest level of the data (the actual properties and their values). So setting up a basic conduit from HLO to another tool need only be done once. The character details are game-specific, but everything else is the same.

The API itself is a web-based protocol that can be consumed in many different ways by a diverse array of tools. Single characters, multiple characters, and even campaigns can all be accessed. That access can be accomplished via explicit requests when needed or through continuous, live updates over websockets. This should make it possible to setup everything from one-time import feeds to dynamic integration with external tools. The character data surfaced by the API is in the Export Format.

Detailed documentation for the Public API will be found at the links below:
Public API Documentation @ https://docs.herolab.online/HLO-Public-API-Documentation.pdf
Export Format Documentation @ https://docs.herolab.online/HLO-Export-Format-Documentation.pdf

I'm sure there will be additional capabilities that will be wanted. And I'm sure there will be questions we overlooked in the documentation. So please use this thread as an initial place to submit those requests and ask those questions.

I hope this initial API gives everybody the core functionality to get started integrating HLO with your favorite tools. If there's something important we haven't included, we'll get it added.

Thanks!

WatersLethe October 16th, 2020 05:47 AM

Really excited for this going forward!

Dragnmoon October 16th, 2020 12:19 PM

So this allows developers of the online tabletop apps to access HLO? Any word of any of those developers doing that?

Roadie October 19th, 2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragnmoon (Post 291427)
So this allows developers of the online tabletop apps to access HLO? Any word of any of those developers doing that?

I haven't heard of any yet, but there's some platforms that have plugins that anybody can build, like Foundry VTT, which would make it straightforward for fans to make integrations there.

From looking at the API doc, it also looks like it would also be pretty straightforward to make desktop apps, or client-side web apps, that use the API to provide whatever functionality using the character data.

rob October 21st, 2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragnmoon (Post 291427)

It hasn't even been out for a week yet, and it hadn't even been out 12 hours when you posed this question. There's quite a bit to digest and implement with the API, so a little patience is called for. Let's see where things stand after folks have a chance to really dig in and make some headway with it. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadie (Post 291477)
I haven't heard of any yet, but there's some platforms that have plugins that anybody can build, like Foundry VTT, which would make it straightforward for fans to make integrations there.

That's exactly the idea. We provide a clean way to get the data out. Other tools provide a clean way to get the data in. Then it's a matter of writing the translation layer between the two tools.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadie (Post 291477)
From looking at the API doc, it also looks like it would also be pretty straightforward to make desktop apps, or client-side web apps, that use the API to provide whatever functionality using the character data.

I couldn't have said it better myself. That was our goal with the API. :)

Dragnmoon October 21st, 2020 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob (Post 291507)
It hasn't even been out for a week yet, and it hadn't even been out 12 hours when you posed this question. There's quite a bit to digest and implement with the API, so a little patience is called for. Let's see where things stand after folks have a chance to really dig in and make some headway with it. :)

Sorry assumed you guys would be talking to the VTT companies in the background, seemed like the smart thing to do while working on this project so it could be implement as quick as possible.

I guess I was wrong.

Edit: That all said I am not part of your company so I don't know what it would take to get something like that done.

Farling October 22nd, 2020 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragnmoon (Post 291508)
Sorry assumed you guys would be talking to the VTT companies in the background, seemed like the smart thing to do while working on this project so it could be implement as quick as possible.

This announcement is really for the VTT companies, not for the end-users.

rob October 22nd, 2020 01:28 AM

To the best of my knowledge, the VTT companies are small outfits like us. As such, they primarily rely on tech-savvy fans for doing this sort of stuff, just like we do. So this is equal parts an announcement for the VTT companies and for the tech-savvy fans that are most likely to dive in with this stuff. In other threads, key contributors to at least two VTTs have said they were anxiously waiting for the availability of the API to get started, and another has emailed me directly about it. We just need to give them the chance to get that work underway. :)

H2Os October 22nd, 2020 06:20 AM

According to Foundry Starfinder discord, someone is working on something.

BoomerET November 8th, 2020 09:28 AM

I've started a converter for Fantasy Grounds. It takes the JSON of a character and creates the XML that can then be imported into FG. It only does basic things right now. Skills, Abilities, personal information (homeworld, name, gender, etc.)

You can find my code here:
https://github.com/BoomerET/hlosf2fg

At this moment, I'm thinking of moving over to the API. Looking at docs.

Dave

Zimrathon November 17th, 2020 05:06 AM

Any news on this for pathfinder?

Dami November 17th, 2020 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zimrathon (Post 291925)
Any news on this for pathfinder?

More info?? What VTT are you wanting to use PF2 in? Try sending a message to that company and asking them if they are doing anything to import the data?

EDIT: Apologies, I missed the line that said it wasn't finished for PF2.

H2Os November 18th, 2020 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dami (Post 291941)
More info?? What VTT are you wanting to use PF2 in? Try sending a message to that company and asking them if they are doing anything to import the data?

Isn't the API only available for Starfinder? Which is why they are asking any word on the release of the API for PF2.

Zimrathon November 18th, 2020 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dami (Post 291941)

I plan to write my own but last I heard the pf2e api isn’t yet complete, hence the query. As soon as complete I can get started.

drober76 November 22nd, 2020 08:30 AM

Which VTT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zimrathon (Post 291945)
I plan to write my own but last I heard the pf2e api isn’t yet complete, hence the query. As soon as complete I can get started.

Hi Zimrathon, what VTT are you planning to write an integration module for? Wouldn’t happen to be Foundry (hint, hint) :o?

Dragnmoon November 23rd, 2020 01:32 PM

PF2 is now accessible via the public API

Frodie November 24th, 2020 03:51 AM

Will the above code BoomerEt made, also work with Pathfinder 2e for Fantasy Grounds?

bruuuuuu November 24th, 2020 06:14 AM

API code written for one VTT will not work directly for others, although having written it might make it easier to write another for a different VTT later. The import modules are for specific VTTs and other viewers.

Zimrathon November 25th, 2020 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drober76 (Post 292020)
Hi Zimrathon, what VTT are you planning to write an integration module for? Wouldn’t happen to be Foundry (hint, hint) :o?

Roll20 sorry, appears I can now get stuck in :)

drober76 November 27th, 2020 01:46 PM

Rob or Zimrathon (or anyone),

Can you share the code tags for Perception, Heritage, and Key Ability Score in the export file? Haven't been able to locate them... Or have these not been implemented yet?

slate November 27th, 2020 05:31 PM

Rob, I'm developing a converter for Foundry VTT, and here's what I've come across so far:
  • Perception not exported
  • Class Key Ability not exported
  • Heritage only exported in some cases (Harsk has it, many others, including many of my personal PCs do not)
  • Gender, age, height, weight, hair, skin, eyes
  • wealth
  • PFS Faction Rep
  • rogue racket "thief" not exported
  • dedications don't always export (ex: rogue with cleric dedication)

More to come as I discover them

Mathias November 27th, 2020 05:52 PM

Please send any missing items in the export to us through the normal bug reporting options in HLO (the icon at the top right that looks like a gear - one of the options in that is bug reports).

slate November 27th, 2020 07:32 PM

will do! thanks

drober76 November 28th, 2020 03:33 AM

Bugs submitted for armor and weapon proficiency

As far as I can tell, in v1 of the export armor and weapon proficiencies are not explicitly exported as a group (e.g. light armor, simple weapons), but are only given on a per-equipped-item basis. So if the exported character is wearing leather armor, in the properties description for that item it will give the character's proficiency level for leather armor, but there is no listing for light, medium, heavy armor proficiencies that I can find. Same for weapons.

I reported these as bugs as requested in HLO.

Venger December 3rd, 2020 03:19 AM

Quote:

Rob, I'm developing a converter for Foundry VTT, and here's what I've come across so far:
Hi Slate. I'd like to follow your development if that's ok. Hero Lab to Foundry would be next level awesomeness. I have HLC but would get HLO if this becomes a reality.
I'm running 5e btw if that matters

I'm not a dev, just a user and I have dozens of chars I'd love to import
Thanks!

slate December 3rd, 2020 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venger (Post 292168)
Hi Slate. I'd like to follow your development if that's ok. Hero Lab to Foundry would be next level awesomeness. I have HLC but would get HLO if this becomes a reality.
I'm running 5e btw if that matters

I'm not a dev, just a user and I have dozens of chars I'd love to import
Thanks!

5e isn’t a game system in HLO, but I know there’s a foundry module for beyond to fvtt. If you play PF2e, the converter is up and running at pf2player.com

Frodie December 3rd, 2020 06:03 AM

Any chance to get that to work for Fantasy Grounds?

slate December 3rd, 2020 06:06 AM

I don't use nor plan to use FG. You'd want someone with intimate knowledge of the FG data to be able to write a converter. I suggest you check out FVTT at some point. It's cheaper than FG, the game systems and mods are worked on by the community, so I expect it'll be more powerful/extendable than most other commercial closed systems. Plus, single charge for GM and no cost for players makes it have a low cost of entry.

aerik1 January 8th, 2021 03:14 PM

Is there any news, or even a plan, on fixing the missing items in the exports?

Frodie January 27th, 2021 10:00 AM

Fantasy grounds is working on this - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l-APIs-for-FGU
Will this work for HLO?

Dhrakken February 13th, 2021 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomerET (Post 291808)
I've started a converter for Fantasy Grounds. It takes the JSON of a character and creates the XML that can then be imported into FG. It only does basic things right now. Skills, Abilities, personal information (homeworld, name, gender, etc.)

You can find my code here:
https://github.com/BoomerET/hlosf2fg

At this moment, I'm thinking of moving over to the API. Looking at docs.

Dave

Hey BoomerET, can you take a look at the attached JSON and XML file and see why so much of the JSON content is missing from the XML output?

slate February 13th, 2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhrakken (Post 293549)
Hey BoomerET, can you take a look at the attached JSON and XML file and see why so much of the JSON content is missing from the XML output?

You should probably contact him via github by filing an issue

mwd April 24th, 2021 08:58 AM

Is there a timeline for when Pathfinder 1e will come to the API?

Blueface October 14th, 2022 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwd (Post 294648)
Is there a timeline for when Pathfinder 1e will come to the API?

I'm waiting desperately.

I REALLY would like to use Hero Lab as my character- and NPC-Adminstration Tool. That way, I can do all the character (and encounter-)building and adminsitration in one single app.

But that only works well, if you have any kind of interface (API) with common VTTs. More an more gamers use VTTs, so this should be a market.

With a propper interface I could administrate my PCs in Hero Lab and send rolls to Roll20 and Foundry, for example. That would be awsome.

Pathfinder 1E, Pathfinder 2E and Starfinder should all be supported by that API.

Maybe you could lunch a crowdfunding-campaign to get this done.

Best scenario: We have alle the Pathfinder 1E adventurepath-material in Hero Lab and can send rolls oder character sheets to a Roll20 game. No more tiring setup in Roll20. Just set up maps and lighting and "roll for it" :-)

Thanks!

djc664 October 14th, 2022 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueface (Post 300146)
I'm waiting desperately.

I REALLY would like to use Hero Lab as my character- and NPC-Adminstration Tool. That way, I can do all the character (and encounter-)building and adminsitration in one single app.

But that only works well, if you have any kind of interface (API) with common VTTs. More an more gamers use VTTs, so this should be a market.

With a propper interface I could administrate my PCs in Hero Lab and send rolls to Roll20 and Foundry, for example. That would be awsome.

Pathfinder 1E, Pathfinder 2E and Starfinder should all be supported by that API.

Maybe you could lunch a crowdfunding-campaign to get this done.

Best scenario: We have alle the Pathfinder 1E adventurepath-material in Hero Lab and can send rolls oder character sheets to a Roll20 game. No more tiring setup in Roll20. Just set up maps and lighting and "roll for it" :-)

Thanks!

Warning - I have NO official insight or information.

I honestly think Paizo forced a non-disclosure so Lone Wolf can't technically say (hence the LONG silences on any question to PF1 support), but PF1 integration is never going to happen.

PF2E is the premier official integration for Foundry VTT, and honestly is really smooth. Supporting two systems is twice the cost. Adding new features amplifies this.

Why would they help enable essentially a competitor to their own flagship product?

I think the only reason we even have PF1 in Hero Lab Online today is timing of it and since it was already in there and working, no sense in ripping it out to backlash, but if Paizo had its way, it would be gone from here.

I'd love to be wrong, but the more I've learned about Paizo and the people running that show, the less I respect them and their practices.

marroon69 October 16th, 2022 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djc664 (Post 300148)
Warning - I have NO official insight or information.

I honestly think Paizo forced a non-disclosure so Lone Wolf can't technically say (hence the LONG silences on any question to PF1 support), but PF1 integration is never going to happen.

PF2E is the premier official integration for Foundry VTT, and honestly is really smooth. Supporting two systems is twice the cost. Adding new features amplifies this.

Why would they help enable essentially a competitor to their own flagship product?

I think the only reason we even have PF1 in Hero Lab Online today is timing of it and since it was already in there and working, no sense in ripping it out to backlash, but if Paizo had its way, it would be gone from here.

I'd love to be wrong, but the more I've learned about Paizo and the people running that show, the less I respect them and their practices.

That is so weird that you feel they will not support PF1, I mean they just released pocket editions of some of the older PF1 books I beleive. Plus they announced Print on demand on DriveThruRpg.

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v57...-PrintonDemand

Seems like they are still supporting it. Right there is no new content besides third party stuff but that is to be expected.

djc664 November 17th, 2022 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marroon69 (Post 300155)
That is so weird that you feel they will not support PF1, I mean they just released pocket editions of some of the older PF1 books I beleive. Plus they announced Print on demand on DriveThruRpg.

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v57...-PrintonDemand

Seems like they are still supporting it. Right there is no new content besides third party stuff but that is to be expected.

Print on demand means they uploaded their raw files to a third party who will print, bind, and ship a book to you for them when you order it. They do nothing besides take your money.

Buying the books is exactly the same as today with their PDFs anyway. No impact.

Making it easy to adopt PF1 in Foundry equal-to-or-over PF2 in Foundry? That could have an adoption impact to PF2. Apples and Oranges, really.

Paizo is always happy to take your money when it doesn't eat its own lunch, as any business does.

kgfnawesome May 31st, 2023 10:44 AM

Pathfinder 1e API

It's been 2.5 years since the public api launched. Any idea on when it will get pf1e support? I would like to build an integration into foundryvtt but can't do anything without the API.