Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   What is the point of statblocks? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=48865)

monsterfurby April 3rd, 2014 02:00 PM

What is the point of statblocks?

I still have to figure out what purpose statblocks serve over just formatting a statblock and copy-pasting it into a text snippet. The main thing I am wondering about here is that so-called statblocks are actually fairly clunky to use - opening an entire new document to view it seems to go exactly against the purpose of a statblock as a quick reference of stats.

Maybe I am using this feature wrong, so feel free to correct me, but how is something that I have to import (three clicks) and then view separately (one click) better than just copying and pasting (two-three clicks) it and being able to view it instantly because it shows up as a text snipped (no clicks)?

enrious April 3rd, 2014 04:03 PM

I long ago ditched the statblock snippet and gone with pasting into a text snippet and I have never looked back.

The only reason I can see in favor is that it can perhaps reduce "clutter" on a page, but for me that is not worth the hassle.

Dr_Automaton April 3rd, 2014 04:51 PM

At least for Savage Worlds, I find it easier to just use text snippets. The snippet looks fine and I get to keep it inline with the rest of the topic.

rob April 3rd, 2014 05:09 PM

For some game systems, statblocks can become extremely long. If you have a statblock for an encounter that includes multiple combatants, the statblocks can easily be multiple screen fulls in length. By having a separate statblock snippet, users can readily move all that material off to another place, out of sight until needed. If your statblocks are short enough, or you prefer having the statblock inline with the topic, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with putting the statblock into a text snippet. Whatever works best for you! :)

MaxSupernova April 3rd, 2014 06:34 PM

Also, for some games, there is a "standard format" for a stat block, and begin able to keep table formatting can be handy.

Mystic Lemur April 3rd, 2014 07:36 PM

I like that if I re-use a statblock a lot, I can save it as a file on my computer and then link RW to that file instead of having to copypasta or type it all in every time. And if I want to make small tweaks that only apply to that encounter, it doesn't overwrite the original file on my computer.

monsterfurby April 4th, 2014 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxSupernova (Post 179698)
Also, for some games, there is a "standard format" for a stat block, and begin able to keep table formatting can be handy.

Table formatting does kind of work in text snippets as well, though.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. So the statblock is really more of a character sheet from text file (as opposed to Hero Lab file)? That sounds reasonable.

lifer4700 April 4th, 2014 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic Lemur (Post 179716)
... instead of having to copypasta or type it all in every time. ...

Read the following in Homer Simpson voice.

MMMmmm, that linguine was delicious!!! I wish I had more!

*copypasta*

*POOF!*

Woo Hoo!

Zaphod Beebledoc April 6th, 2014 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifer4700 (Post 179758)
Read the following in Homer Simpson voice.

MMMmmm, that linguine was delicious!!! I wish I had more!

*copypasta*

*POOF!*

Woo Hoo!

[Homer] Hmmmm, something! *drools* [/Homer]

JTenebrous April 7th, 2014 06:13 AM

Another user has already mentioned the possibility of using tables in text snippets, but I'll expound on that topic. I've used RW for awhile now, and I'm both a bit of a traditionalist, and a graphics snob, when it comes to Statblocks - I like them to look clean and nice like they were pulled straight from a published book. To this end, I don't use the "Statblocks" feature of Realmworks as it is currently implemented. So what I've done is create a "Bestiary" section in my Mechanics Reference area of Realmworks, with a category dedicated to "Statblock Templates". Each of these "Statblock Templates" is simply a Topic with a multiline text snippet containing a Table which I've nicely formatted and coloured in the cels and borders to look like a Statblock from a published book of whatever system I'm running. Whenever I want to create a new monster/NPC/trap/etc. I simply make a copy of an empty "Statblock Template" of the appropriate type, and paste it into a Snippet within the Topic I've created for said Monster/NPC/Trap/etc. Then I fill in the table, and *voila* - shiny new statblock which I can link to (specifically, at present, I can only link the containing Topic), or copy elsewhere within my realm. Since each entry in the Bestiary is its own Topic, anything that doesn't fit into the appropriate Statblock Table can just go into its own snippet, including text, artwork, etc. Hope this was clear enough.