Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Concerns about the Adventurer's Guide (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58453)

Laucian May 18th, 2017 08:46 PM

Concerns about the Adventurer's Guide

So this month paizo has released a new book, the "Adventurer's Guide" the problem is that it has a lot of reprinted content that has been drastically changed from their original source books. Is it at all possible to get the "reprinted" stuff as separate entries so that we can still use the original versions? Note that I don't believe the book says that these replace the originals but I wanted to ask anyway.

Mathias May 19th, 2017 07:36 AM

I'm sorry, but we try our best to keep Hero Lab up-to-date with the current version of the Pathfinder rules, which means that when content is updated, we update the way that item works in Hero Lab. Using old versions of a now-updated item would be a house rule that users can implement by using the editor to recreate those items.

Silveras May 19th, 2017 10:39 AM

There is currently a thread in Paizo's discussion forums asking if this is Paizo's policy and raising objections/questions if so.

I believe it is Paizo's policy that the latest published version of something is considered an update or replacement of the prior version. The issues with accidentally duplicating names complicates that a bit.

The thread is asking for an explicit statement that such is the policy.

Minous May 19th, 2017 02:20 PM

If the case is that they are being replaced I would request that someone in LW copy them to a new .user file for the community to use. Since this will be a major change in how a lot of items work. Right now those objects are locked behind copy protection, and forcing the community to re-create them just seems like a jerk move.

Laucian May 19th, 2017 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathias (Post 250212)
I'm sorry, but we try our best to keep Hero Lab up-to-date with the current version of the Pathfinder rules, which means that when content is updated, we update the way that item works in Hero Lab. Using old versions of a now-updated item would be a house rule that users can implement by using the editor to recreate those items.

The thing is that you guys have done this with other things. Off the top of my head the "Battle Cry" feat, the "Wild Caller" summoner archetype and the "Pact Wizard" wizard archetype all have two listings for the different sources they appear in. I understand having to update things because of errata, but this isn't errata and as such I think it should be considered a new thing that happens to have the same name as an existing thing.

Mathias May 19th, 2017 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laucian (Post 250241)
The thing is that you guys have done this with other things. Off the top of my head the "Battle Cry" feat, the "Wild Caller" summoner archetype and the "Pact Wizard" wizard archetype all have two listings for the different sources they appear in. I understand having to update things because of errata, but this isn't errata and as such I think it should be considered a new thing that happens to have the same name as an existing thing.

That's for major differences, where a character built with the old version would not work correctly, or would need to alter their build, if it were automatically updated to the new version. For most differences, we replace the previous version.

Laucian May 19th, 2017 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathias (Post 250243)
That's for major differences, where a character built with the old version would not work correctly, or would need to alter their build, if it were automatically updated to the new version. For most differences, we replace the previous version.

But how do you decide if it's a major change or not? My Lore Warden character would need to be completely reworked or scrapped if he's forced to use the Adventurer's Guide listing. I apologize if my next statement is a bit too confrontational but I feel it needs to be said. Lone Wolfs job is to provide the content that appears in the books created by Paizo to use in HeroLab. It is not your job to decide what constitutes a "replacement for old content", unless stated by Paizo(as is the case with errata). If you change the old Lore Warden content from how it appears in the "Pathfinder Society Field Guide" should I get a refund for that book since you've removed content that I paid for?

Silveras May 19th, 2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laucian (Post 250241)

Both "Wild Caller" and "Pact Wizard" are cases where the core RPG rules team and the Golarion team (composed of different people who do not compare notes of what they're working on) accidentally created different things with the same name. Both of these are referenced as such in the thread on the Paizo boards that I mentioned previously.

Battle Cry is one I don't know the origin of off the top of my head.

In at least one case, the change in the Adventurer's Guide is deliberate, as James Jacobs commented "I was finally able to fix that".

Dwayne May 19th, 2017 07:22 PM

Couldn't you just not buy The Adventurer's Guide and keep things as they are? The changes would only occur if you buy the book.

Silveras May 19th, 2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwayne (Post 250256)
Couldn't you just not buy The Adventurer's Guide and keep things as they are? The changes would only occur if you buy the book.

That's similar to a sentiment in the discussion at Paizo, but there's a difference.

When it comes to the book, people playing PFS will be told what changes they MUST make.

When it comes to home games, people can choose not to accept the changes.

BUT, there is only ONE version of the ability in HeroLab. HeroLab is like automatically getting errata applied (which doesn't happen to the physical book). When LWD updates that ONE version, the change is applied to all characters using that updated "thing".

I view it as part of the trade-off of the digital tools... the tools need to reflect the "official" version of the rules. When possible, it is a bonus feature when they can accommodate house-rules, but not every house-rule is going to be easy to implement. So if the program provides tools for customization, that's the route fits most naturally.

Most of the time, with electronic tools, "getting all updates automatically" is seen as a feature. :)