Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   How To Organise 50 Small Adventures (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57527)

daplunk January 26th, 2017 02:34 AM

How To Organise 50 Small Adventures

Hi Team,

Looking for some input on how people think this should be done.

Let's say we have something like the D&D Adventure's League. A heap of small adventures that for all intensive purposes should be provided as a separate Export file.

How would you organise it all?

For example.

There's a base pack this is being prepared in. The campaign world.

Then on top of that I'm building the adventures.

Now if i just go and add the adventures into the mechanics section where everything 'should' go. Well that will become a management issue when the time comes to separate everything into individual adventures.

I want everything to be in this thing though. Because of linking. Having 10 adventures entered who are all linking to each other and then exported individually that can later be imported and the links start working again is great.

Ideally the Mechanics Sources looks useful. Using that as a parent of all mechanical items that come with the adventure work's visually to separate everything and that will make everything easy to export.

But...

The categories exist for a reason and it's preferable to use those.

Perhaps I need to create the Export tag at the start of the process and just tag the articles as I create them.

kbs666 January 26th, 2017 04:18 AM

If I was doing the PFS scenarios this is what I'd do:

I'd build each as a separate realm. Since they're set in Golarian I'd rely on the people who import them to have as much or as little of Golarian as they have, which is how it works at PFS tables in real life.

For DDAL you don't want to be doing all of Faerun too. So just do the scenarios. If people import them and want them to fit into a different world let them do that without to much stuff you've added in.

daplunk January 26th, 2017 04:31 AM

If you build as a separate realm then you export without any links to any of the campaign world though. Yes the player could go back and link everything. But it would be preferable for them not to do that.

Pollution January 26th, 2017 04:38 AM

deleted

daplunk January 26th, 2017 04:50 AM

Yes it makes sense, it's how I pictured doing it. But then I sat back and pictured what that would look like... I didn't like what I pictured.

I guess I like my Realm to come across as less episodic and more of a growing and breathing world. Probably why I have always leaned towards putting NPCs under locations.

Hmmm... i need to think on this one some more.

Bidmaron January 26th, 2017 07:17 AM

I would not put any world content in mechanics. Mechanics are for rules according to any readonable way to use realm works

kbs666 January 26th, 2017 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daplunk (Post 242589)
If you build as a separate realm then you export without any links to any of the campaign world though. Yes the player could go back and link everything. But it would be preferable for them not to do that.

This is why RW needs the ability to scan imports for links. Until then this sort of thing is going to be a mess.

Farling January 26th, 2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 242608)
This is why RW needs the ability to scan imports for links. Until then this sort of thing is going to be a mess.

You mean like is available in the latest version (to scan the entire realm)?

kbs666 January 26th, 2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 242622)
You mean like is available in the latest version (to scan the entire realm)?

If that is what that is. It isn't clear and I haven't tried it yet. Based on where it is and how its described I'm not sure.

Farling January 26th, 2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 242624)
If that is what that is. It isn't clear and I haven't tried it yet. Based on where it is and how its described I'm not sure.

Ok, I just pressed the button and it doesn't do what I thought it did :-(