Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Ghost articles in no container? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57816)

thelizardofodd February 25th, 2017 09:19 AM

Ghost articles in no container?

Hey folks,
I'm fairly new to RealmWorks, and have had an ongoing issue I've been unable to find an answer to. When I first got it and started toying around, I made an article for one of my races. I then traveled for the holidays, came back, and have no idea where that article is. I thought I had it in the 'Characters' section of the Mechanics reference, but it's not visibly there.
So, I re-created it, but now whenever I type that race and it tries to link it, it brings up both items...the new (filled out) one which is correctly located in the mechanics reference, and the old empty one that's sitting...somewhere?
Any idea where to find items that don't appear to have any container? I've searched each section in the most obvious ways without luck...
Thanks!

kbs666 February 25th, 2017 03:15 PM

The obvious solution is to create a topic with a snippet containing the term and let the linker link to the "wrong" article and then follow the link.

If that doesn't work then I think you've got a bug.

thelizardofodd February 25th, 2017 03:39 PM

Yeah I did try this...I can get to the article easily, but then have no means of deleting it from within the article itself. :/

Silveras February 25th, 2017 05:51 PM

You could also use the magnifying glass to search by text for it (filters the navigation pane list to show only only matches).

Also, although you think you did it in Mechanics, it could be in World Almanac .. so search/filter both to be sure.

thelizardofodd February 25th, 2017 07:56 PM

I've tried the magnifying glasses, in pretty much every category I can find. When I link to the old dud article, and then click my way into it, it shows itself as being contained in nothing. It can link to things, and be linked to, but has no container, and I can't delete it from within the article itself. :/

Edit: Here's an image for some reference to what I mean - http://i.imgur.com/lJ3DBCc.png

On the left is the normal right side-bar for a character (Jaromir). I linked to the dud article in this character (you can see the two articles on the bottom right), and when I click into it, the right side-bar shows no containing topic information. If I could figure out how to either delete it from within the article, or move it to a container from within the article, I'd be fine. Until then, it's just floating around and I have to pick which kožat I want every time I link to the race (which wouldn't be so annoying if it didn't default to the wrong one).

Parody February 25th, 2017 09:09 PM

While there are a couple of Topic/Article types that can't be contained and thus lose the Containing Topic/Article section of the Relationships Pane (notably Story Source, Mechanics Source, and the Realm Starting Point) I don't believe you could have gotten them to use the alien head icon. The two Sources would show up in their respective main views (World Almanac and Mechanics Reference) and you can get to the Realm Starting Point by clicking the house-in-a-circle icon below the Ribbon.

You can show the current Topic/Article in the Navigation Pane by opening the Content Pane Options menu (F7) and picking Show in Current Navigation (or Ctrl-=). However, you'll need to be in a view that can show it (so World Almanac for Topics and Mechanics Reference for Articles) and you need to not have any filters that might hide it. This also won't work for the Realm Starting Point, as it never shows in Navigation.

Assuming none of what we've said so far helps you find your lost Topic/Article, I recommend you get in touch with LWD (at support@wolflair.com or by writing up a bug report) and work with them to figure out what's going on. Let us know what happens!

EightBitz February 25th, 2017 10:21 PM

You can change your view to show a flat list of topics by category.

If you really want to nuke it and can find no other way, you can do a full export of the realm, then open the export file with Notepad++ and search for the name of the topic, see if it shows up twice. If it does, you can manually delete the empty copy from the export file, create a new realm, and import the fixed export file into the new realm.

thelizardofodd February 26th, 2017 12:02 PM

Hey folks,

I've sent an email to support, as I've had no luck with any new suggestions. :( I even noticed that if you grab the tab of an article up top, it looks like you can drag it into a container on the left (an arrow appears), but nothing happens for me (with any of my articles).
Thanks for the offered assistance, I will be sure to offer an update once a solution is discovered. :)

Vargr February 28th, 2017 03:32 AM

I notice the article contains a z with an inverted circumflex - maybe that does not sit well with RW.

On the other hand, I think I have some articles with weird letters as well.

Just thinking out loud here.

kbs666 February 28th, 2017 04:48 AM

RW is supposed to handle all text in Unicode and in my testing, which admittedly hasn't been more than cursory it does. It certainly has no problem with any of the symbols in a couple of my Unicode fonts that I've tried.

You should keep in mind that this is based on the HTML standard and on the installed fonts on the machine rendering the text so when exporting a realm do not expect things like nonstandard scripts like Elvish or Klingon which have unofficial Unicode pages to appear correctly.