Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   World is Square house rules (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=55761)

SpectreMarkVI January 11th, 2018 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron (Post 261213)
Using weapon finesse? if so, that is working as intended (unless world is square is supposed to change that).

No, the character is a brawler so proficiency is there, Im even building it with the shield champion.
Quote:

Melee +3 = +1 (Base Attack Bonus) +4 (strength mod) -2 (ACP from shield)
The only time it changes is when I turn off the Wis Rules. I've attached the file for those that want to check it out.

Attachment 5736

wdmartin January 12th, 2018 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, I've had a look at the character that SpectreMarkIV provided, and I've diagnosed the problem. It's a weird corner-case bug in how Weapon Finesse was implemented by Hero Lab itself -- the World is Square rules only allowed for the highly specific set of circumstances that trigger the bug to occur.

The problem happens when all of the following are true:

1) You have Weapon Finesse
2) Your STR modifier is higher than your DEX modifier
3) You have a finessable weapon equipped
4) You have a shield equipped

When these conditions are satisfied, Hero Lab applies Weapon Finesse's clause about the shield's armor check penalty to finesse weapons even though the PC isn't actually using Weapon Finesse. The PC's attack bonuses are all calculated using the STR modifier, because it's the higher of the two, but the shield penalty goes through anyway. Effectively, the PC gains no benefit from the feat, but still takes its penalty.

I have attached a portfolio demonstrating the problem without the WiS rules getting involved.

SpectreMarkIV, your PC has Weapon Finesse (even though it doesn't look like it!) because the WiS rules give that feat for free to everyone, and then hide it in the list of feats. Your Strength is 18 (+4), your DEX is 16 (+3), you have a shield, and you have Weapon Finesse thanks to the WiS rules. So you get hit by the bug. If you disable the WiS rules, suddenly your PC doesn't have Weapon Finesse any more, and so the bug goes away.

In the ordinary course of things, this is unlikely ever to happen. No sane player would choose to take the Weapon Finesse feat when their STR mod is already higher than their DEX mod. No sane GM would give Weapon Finesse to a monster that could not benefit from it. And so the bug escaped notice.

One could argue that interpreting the rules strictly as written means that this behavior is correct. The feat says: "If you carry a shield, its armor check penalty applies to your attack rolls." Full stop. If you have the feat, you take that penalty, no if's, and's or but's.

A particularly sadistic rules lawyer could even make a plausible case that since the feat says "carry" a shield rather than "wield" or "use" a shield, you take that penalty any time you have a shield in your immediate personal possession, including strapped to your backpack or stuck in a bag of holding. And because it does not specify "finesse weapons," but instead says "your attack rolls" it should logically apply to every attack roll you ever make: with spells, with weapons light OR heavy, with your fist. Everything.

Clearly, that is NOT the intended behavior in the case of the WiS rules as written by Michael Iantorno. They eliminate Weapon Finesse entirely, allow the PC to choose whether to use their STR or DEX mod, and do not say anything at all about shields or armor check penalties. I only wound up giving Weapon Finesse to everyone because that was the easiest way to implement the change. I figured it would just pick the higher of the two modifiers with finessable weapons, and that would be that. After all, why would anyone choose the lower modifier?

I am uncertain what to do at this point. Question for Aaron or Mathias: would it be better to file a bug with Wolflair to get a fix for this extremely obscure bug, or just compensate within the WiS rules?

In the meantime, SpectreMarkIV, I suggest using adjustments to give yourself a +2 bonus on your unarmed strike and your dagger until this gets sorted out one way or the other.

TheIronGolem January 12th, 2018 08:57 PM

That's some good detective work, wdmartin. Sounds like that was quite a pain to run down.

wdmartin January 12th, 2018 09:00 PM

Thanks! It took longer to write it up than to diagnose, actually. It's important to write clearly in these sorts of things -- that went through three drafts.

SpectreMarkVI January 13th, 2018 12:02 AM

Well I'm thankful that i've not done something to herolab. In my main character file I've done the bonus change to fix the issue and look forward to see what happens in the future in regards to this issue.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Aaron January 13th, 2018 05:12 AM

If the rules don't actually give the feat, but rather let you choose Str or Dex for attack rolls, maybe that should be accomplished by a different means than the feat. You can apply a tag for individual weapons to switch what attribute they use for attacks, and an ability could be bootstrapped to all characters to make this choice.

Fuzzy January 13th, 2018 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron (Post 261372)
If the rules don't actually give the feat, but rather let you choose Str or Dex for attack rolls, maybe that should be accomplished by a different means than the feat. You can apply a tag for individual weapons to switch what attribute they use for attacks, and an ability could be bootstrapped to all characters to make this choice.

At the same time Aaron, this should still be recorded as a bug in weapon finesse, right? Shouldn't the script that is checking to see whether to use Dex also enable the shield penalty?

Farling January 13th, 2018 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmartin (Post 261367)
When these conditions are satisfied, Hero Lab applies Weapon Finesse's clause about the shield's armor check penalty to finesse weapons even though the PC isn't actually using Weapon Finesse. The PC's attack bonuses are all calculated using the STR modifier, because it's the higher of the two, but the shield penalty goes through anyway. Effectively, the PC gains no benefit from the feat, but still takes its penalty.

The wording of Weapon Finesse doesn't say that the shield penalty only applies when you are using your Dex as your bonus attack. They are in separate sentences.

Quote:

With a light weapon, rapier, whip, or spiked chain made for a creature of your size category, you may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls. If you carry a shield, its armor check penalty applies to your attack rolls.

wdmartin January 13th, 2018 10:47 AM

@Aaron I am not enthusiastic at the prospect. It sounds like a lot of work to implement. And then everyone using the WiS rule set will be forced to make the choice for each weapon they possess. Virtually all of them are going to pick the higher bonus. End result: I'd be doing a lot of work and making it harder for players to manage their characters, in order to implement an option where the user's end choice is predictable 99.9% of the time.

@Farling. Yes. As I noted above.

Fuzzy January 13th, 2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 261377)
The wording of Weapon Finesse doesn't say that the shield penalty only applies when you are using your Dex as your bonus attack. They are in separate sentences.

Are there any other feats that apply a penalty for taking the feat? You don't seriously believe it is intended that once you take weapon finesse, you can't use a shield, even with a non-finessable weapon, do you?

Aaron January 13th, 2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmartin (Post 261390)
@Aaron I am not enthusiastic at the prospect. It sounds like a lot of work to implement. And then everyone using the WiS rule set will be forced to make the choice for each weapon they possess. Virtually all of them are going to pick the higher bonus. End result: I'd be doing a lot of work and making it harder for players to manage their characters, in order to implement an option where the user's end choice is predictable 99.9% of the time.

I don't think it would be much work, maybe 2 hours or so, for testing. I assume you've already got a mechanic around to implement these changes and bootstrap weapon finesse to everyone. Instead of the feat, bootstrap a racial ability (since those are shown on everyone) with a selector to choose Dex or Str, then all you need is an eval script to pull the "Use this for melee attacks tag" and to to foreach through all weapons on the hero to push that tag.

If having a racial special without context around annoys you it might be worth it to set a configurable up as an intermediary, then bootstrap the selector ability as a class special to that configurable. Call the configurable "WiS Special Rules" and you can even provide information (through other bootstrapped specials) to users about what is going on, to help future folk figure out what is going on if there is background stuff going on.

Anyway, it's your thing, and there may be complications I am unaware of, but that's how I see it.

Minous January 13th, 2018 02:34 PM

Unlike bonuses, penalties stack, unless otherwise noted. -2 Weapon Finesse, -2 Shield non-proficiency. Specifically these are untyped penalties to the attack roll from different sources.

wdmartin January 13th, 2018 10:05 PM

@farling No, I don't believe that. I thought that you were saying that's what you believed? Clearly there's some misunderstanding going on here.

I think the easiest way to resolve this is just adjust the script for Weapon Finesse so that it's only bootstrapped if the PC's DEX mod exceeds their STR mod. I'll experiment with it and see if that works.

EDIT: Nope, I don't think that approach will work.

Hour 1: Learned that you can't specify attribute value prerequisites in bootstrap tag expressions.

Hour 2: Learned that you can't assign a tag based on attribute values until the Post-Attributes phase, when it's far too late to bootstrap anything since that happens in the First phase. So I can't tag them as eligible for finesse and then check for that in the bootstrap pre-reqs.

Hour 3: Learned how to use Helper.FtDisable. Also learned that if your Weapon Finesse pick has Helper.FtDisable assigned to it, the PC still takes the shield penalty even if their DEX mod is lower than their STR mod, so assigning Helper.FtDisable to PCs that don't use their DEX mod for attack roll calculations won't actually save them from the effect.

It's almost 4 AM and I have to GM at noon. I'm not prepped, and will be making up a whole bunch of stuff on the spot. Must sleep now.

Aaron January 14th, 2018 10:11 AM

I am on vacation for the next week, so if you like, I could send you an example of what my version would be. Is there somewhere I can read the rules for this system?

willuwontu January 14th, 2018 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron (Post 261443)
I am on vacation for the next week, so if you like, I could send you an example of what my version would be. Is there somewhere I can read the rules for this system?

http://michaeliantorno.com/feat-taxes-in-pathfinder/ oh and http://www.hearthandblade.com/feats-rules/feats/

Aaron January 14th, 2018 07:54 PM

Thanks.

Aaron January 14th, 2018 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go, took longer than it should have because I stupidly forgot to bootstrap the configurable to the mechanic, then was running around wondering what the heck I was getting missing agent messages for.

wdmartin January 14th, 2018 10:53 PM

Wow, stuff has happened! I'll be sure to check that out, probably tomorrow.

Thank you very much, Aaron!

wdmartin January 15th, 2018 04:16 PM

Okay, I've reviewed Aaron's code, and it looks good! I have integrated it into the WiS codebase and tested it, and it seems to work nicely. There were a few bits of additional work -- setting sources, writing a quick eval script on the mechanic to give everyone HasFeat.fWepFin to satisfy prerequisites on other feats -- but those were pretty straightforward. Many thanks to Aaron for taking the time to help out!

I have pushed out an update that should correct that issue. It also fixes a bug with Warpriests; they weren't getting their sacred weapon damage dice increase correctly on all the weapons in a group. It was just a timing issue, and should be working now.

You may still encounter errors regarding the feat fCoverFirV. I have a bug filed on this already -- #134866 -- and am hopeful that it will be corrected before long. In the meantime, I don't think the errors actually cause any problems with most PCs. Just ignore them.

Ian January 20th, 2018 12:28 AM

I'm getting an "Error 503 Backend fetch failed" from your download page linked in the first post. It looks like your CDN or caching server may be misbehaving.

wdmartin January 20th, 2018 12:54 AM

My host is decommissioning one of their data centers, and my hosting instance got migrated to the new one today. I got the email saying the migration was complete literally two minutes after you posted.

It appears to be working now.

Fuzzy January 29th, 2018 06:35 AM

Just as an FYI, the brothers have put together a new, polished, book form of these rules (I believe there are some changes in there). Highly recommend checking it out - if nothing else, the book's design is great!

http://www.hearthandblade.com/#post-1491

wdmartin January 29th, 2018 06:39 AM

Yes, Michael got in touch and sent me a draft copy a few days ago. There are indeed a few changes, which I plan to implement. Most of it is still the same though. Thanks for the heads-up!

Aaenerb February 13th, 2018 07:24 PM

Weapon Trick bug?

Hello! I've got an unchained rogue with Enable all World is Square rules checked. The rogue has the Weapon Training trick:

Quote:

Benefit: A rogue that selects this talent gains Weapon Focus as a bonus feat.
She's not getting weapon focus as a bonus feat despite the trick, so I've had to add it as an adjustment for now.

wdmartin February 13th, 2018 07:41 PM

Thanks for the report! I'll get that fixed in the next version.

It's always Weapon Focus. That feat is just everywhere in the system.

nightpanda2810 February 20th, 2018 06:16 AM

Kineticist, 2 issues.

Weapon Focus doesn't affect kinetic blasts.

Weapon Finesse for light weapons doesn't apply to Kinetic Blade infusion.

wdmartin February 20th, 2018 09:35 AM

Thank you, I've added this to my to-do list.

I don't think kinetic blasts count as a member of any particular fighter weapon group, so I'll probably implement a new feat Weapon Focus (kinetic blast), in the same way that I did Weapon Focus (ray).

I'll have to look into the Kinetic Blade thing more. I've never been terribly interested in the occult classes, so I'm not terribly familiar with their rules.

Fuzzy February 21st, 2018 07:49 AM

Honestly, I wonder if it would make sense to simply make a new fighter group for ranged touch weapons (rays, kinetic blasts, a series of domain and bloodline abilities, etc)

wdmartin February 21st, 2018 11:45 AM

That's a good idea. It's more efficient than a bunch of one-offs.

Fuzzy February 23rd, 2018 04:50 AM

well, I'm not saying it'd actually be easier - you have to go though all the various sources of those abilities and add the fighter group tag to them, but the end user results would be better, by simply allowing a single weapon focus, with an additional group in the dropdown.

lady2beetle April 23rd, 2018 05:41 PM

I'm having trouble getting this set up in Hero Lab. I've followed the instructions (I've installed custom rulesets before), and I've gone all the way through the initial set-up sequence multiple times, but it simply will not show up on the character configuration list. Is there something weird that I might be missing?

wdmartin April 23rd, 2018 06:01 PM

Are you getting any error messages or anything?

lady2beetle April 24th, 2018 03:09 AM

Nothing. It's just not there.

https://gyazo.com/e346046e9a0f808413872596b37b2bab

https://gyazo.com/7e2aa5f9228cc524c81cc421a7b4e860

https://gyazo.com/cb906ca7c5012dc61c7d398b4571059e

wdmartin April 24th, 2018 08:26 AM

That ... is super weird. If you've imported it and it said import was successful, then the World is Square stuff should be there.

I don't know what could be causing that. Anyone else have any ideas?

Mathias April 24th, 2018 08:45 AM

Do you have multiple copies of the Pathfinder game system set up in Hero Lab? If so, what you have open in the third screenshot is the "pathfinder" folder that your second screenshot shows you're installing to, correct?

Are there any error messages or other pop-up messages as you load the Pathfinder files? If so, you can right-click those to copy their text, rather than having to screenshot them.

lady2beetle April 24th, 2018 01:05 PM

I don't think I have multiple copies of pathfinder? But, you know what, let me just delete and reinstall Hero Lab. I've had it here for a while and it's probably time for me to do a clean install.

lady2beetle April 24th, 2018 01:35 PM

Yup, that fixed it. I don't know what the problem was, or if one of my other custom content packages were causing problems. But it's there now! Thank you!

Fuzzy August 11th, 2018 09:21 PM

So I have noticed lately that I get an error whenever I have Weapon Focus (Heavy Blades) selected.
Quote:

Invalid syntax for tag template
Location: 'eval' script for Thing 'fwsWepFoc' (Eval Script '#1') near line 32
As well as an error whenever Weapon Focus (Tribal Weapons) is selected:
Quote:

Tag 'WepGFoc.Tribal' not defined
Location: 'eval' script for Thing 'fwsWepFoc' (Eval Script '#1') near line 58

wdmartin August 11th, 2018 11:12 PM

Hrm!

I haven't been able to reproduce the first error. I made a 1st level fighter and gave him Weapon Focus (Heavy Blades) and it worked fine. Have you got a minimal test case you could show me, please?

The WepGFoc.Tribal thing is pretty straightforward -- those tags don't exist. I've never heard of a "Tribal" weapon group before. When did that come out? Ultimate Wilderness, maybe?

Anyway, that's a pretty easy fix. I just need to add a line to the feats in the .1st file, defining the .Tribal tag for each of them.

Fuzzy August 12th, 2018 07:33 PM

Yeah, pretty sure the Tribal Weapons was added with Ultimate Wilderness.

Club, dagger, greatclub, handaxe, heavy shield, light shield, shortspear, spear, throwing axe, and unarmed strike.