Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - User Projects (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Forgotten Realms (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=20591)

mbran01 April 17th, 2012 10:30 AM

Forgotten Realms

Is anybody working on converting FR to Pathfinder. If anybody is or is interested, I have input all the human ethnicities and races from the FRCS book and the races of Faerun (I made them ethnicities that bootstrap all the racial abilities, hgt and wgt work as well). I have most of the regions (I used the factions tab for this, regions add automatic languages and bonus languages) as well as about 18 feats from the player's guide (most of them work too!). I am still working in the feats (there are alot and I am not a programmer so it is taking a while).

Michael

poizen37 April 18th, 2012 03:00 AM

I've got a lot on my hero lab schedule right now, but this is something I was always considering. I'll keep it in mind for when my time frees up. By all means keep us apprised!

mbran01 April 18th, 2012 04:40 AM

Will do, I am a stay-at-home dad (for the time being, anyway). So while the little one naps I have time (well a little time) to work on these things. Problem is I have to beg, borrow, and steal code from other things in hero lab and these forums. I can usually figure out how to do something by examining other code, but it is slow going. Anyway I will certainly keep you advised on where I am at. Currently I am working on the feats from the Player's Guide to Faerun.

Aaron April 18th, 2012 07:38 AM

I know what you're talking about mbran01, I was in the same situation a couple years ago, but keep at it. You'll eventually get the hang of things like I did, and if you run into something above your skill level you can always post on these forums.

mbran01 April 18th, 2012 09:48 AM

You know, besides HL being a great product, you guys provide awesome support. One of the reasons that I bought HL to begin with. You guys rock!!!

RavenX May 10th, 2012 07:51 PM

In response to this, My group made a decision to play in the realms this year, so I will be doing some coding of things for this. It will take a while for me to get any significant progress though.

mbran01 May 10th, 2012 08:37 PM

I have quite a bit done, kinda stalled when I got to the deities and domains. There are quite a few domains that don't exist in Pathfinder, so I am trying to decide whether to convert or simply do with out the non-existant domains. I have most of the races (most of the elven and dwarven subraces, gnome and halflings, and all of the human ethnicities), regions and feats, and languages.

Lord Magus May 11th, 2012 05:31 AM

Please consider submitting what you have done so far to the Community Files project!

RavenX May 11th, 2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbran01 (Post 82525)
I have quite a bit done, kinda stalled when I got to the deities and domains. There are quite a few domains that don't exist in Pathfinder, so I am trying to decide whether to convert or simply do with out the non-existant domains. I have most of the races (most of the elven and dwarven subraces, gnome and halflings, and all of the human ethnicities), regions and feats, and languages.

Personally I just convert them over. It is not that hard. And the FRCS had a lot of new domains in it that were specific to Faerun. I would personally add them. It is not hard to just add all the domains.

My data has some conversion work for 4th edition to pathfinder. I converted spell scars fully over to pathfinder. I will be making adjustments to the races as well. I plan on making the magical tattoos of the Wild Elves into a racial ability that can be changed out with alternate racial traits if the player so wishes.

mbran01 May 11th, 2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Magus (Post 82553)
Please consider submitting what you have done so far to the Community Files project!

I have been in contact with ShadowChemosh, not sure where it's at as far as being added.

mbran01 May 11th, 2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenX (Post 82556)
Personally I just convert them over. It is not that hard. And the FRCS had a lot of new domains in it that were specific to Faerun. I would personally add them. It is not hard to just add all the domains.

My data has some conversion work for 4th edition to pathfinder. I converted spell scars fully over to pathfinder. I will be making adjustments to the races as well. I plan on making the magical tattoos of the Wild Elves into a racial ability that can be changed out with alternate racial traits if the player so wishes.

I just don't know if I want to deal with the conversion or not. I found a few of them already converted on various forums, some of them seemed pretty balanced others didn't. Still, I am on the fence. I might do the conversion just because some of them are pretty significant to FRCS, but I am not sure if I want to put the work in on the conversion or not.

RavenX May 13th, 2012 11:38 AM

It is a tight line to walk, I am going to eventually add all the new domains and spells from Forgotten Realms into the data I am working on. Mostly because the Pantheon would be weakened without those elements. Forgotten Realms is a huge setting with a great deal of gods and goddesses. I would not feel satisfied with a simple conversion or skipping of material (Hence my personal distaste for 4th edition's version of the setting).

Some things I am going to change or skip when converting though. Like the Daylight Adaptation Feat, this is handled better as an Alternate Racial Trait instead. Weaken Darkvision from 120 to 60 feat and remove the daylight sensitivity. You are making an equivalent exchange with such a thing so there is no need for a feat that basically does this if the ART will do it just as well and still leave your player a feat for it.

A little background: I have been Dungeon Mastering for over 20 years. I have a good feel for balance in these games and did my own conversion work for Dark Sun into Pathfinder (which is a work in progress as well). The conversion stuff is not too hard but does require some familiarity with how things work. If you feel something would work better as an ART than a feat, it probably should be an ART. This will save some work on the feats list as Faerun is notorious for its long list of new feats added per book. This will be a massive undertaking to finish, but I have started the campaign setting book and will be working with it carefully.

RavenX May 16th, 2012 08:21 PM

Just letting you know I gave my data to ShadowChemosh, he will get it uploaded for use as soon as he gets some time to take care of it. My progress hasn't been too much of late but this is something I have been working on in small parts here and there over the months. My players love the setting and are all looking forward to downloading the data now that I have at least a working set for them. I will warn you it is only the Campaign Setting book for now. I have plans for Races of Faerun to be added at a later date once the rest of the work I had to do is finished from the Campaign Sourcebook.

RavenX May 16th, 2012 08:22 PM

Also I want to add that not all of the feats are working properly, I will get them fixed when I have some free time.

mbran01 May 17th, 2012 06:38 AM

We should coordinate, I have most of the feats from the campaign setting and the pg working.

RavenX May 17th, 2012 05:41 PM

Have you converted things over from the books to Pathfinder?

I am kind of waiting on the Advanced Race Guide to release before I start converting the races from Races of Faerun for the simple fact that many races that had +1 or +2 level adjustments in 3.0 and 3.5 no longer have those adjustments due to way pathfinder has implemented things.

mbran01 May 17th, 2012 06:48 PM

I converted them to pathfinder. I created the races as ethnicities, but did in such a way that you have to choose an ethnicity. I did that mostly because I didn't want my race list to get to cluttered.

RavenX May 18th, 2012 06:24 AM

I did them as races, so that I can add alternate racial traits to them. I plan on changing some of the "racial" feats in ARTs instead. Like the Wild Elf Tattoo Magic. This was originally a racial feat that all wild elves got in place of their first level feat, I plan to make it into a racial trait instead. Each race will gain racial traits when I am done inputting the data.

jbearwillis May 18th, 2012 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is how I sett mine up. Just started and got the race and region framework setup. It works nicely. Now to input the rest of the regions.:)

mbran01 May 18th, 2012 08:21 AM

I was thinking of creating a region mechanic, but I just used factions instead. I like what you have done.

RavenX May 18th, 2012 08:21 AM

I haven't had time to get regions going yet. Getting the Deities, Spells and Domains done is going to be a long chore in and of itself.

RavenX May 18th, 2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbran01 (Post 83034)
I was thinking of creating a region mechanic, but I just used factions instead. I like what you have done.

I didn't use Factions to cover regions because of the actual Factions in the game setting.

There are enough organizations in the game I don't want to clutter it up with other things. Fire Knives, Zhentarim, Harpers, Red Wizards, etc. are in my data, just going to take time to get the regions added. Though If I do something like jbearwillis I can actually code the prereqs on the feats to account for region.

RavenX May 18th, 2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbearwillis (Post 83021)
This is how I sett mine up. Just started and got the race and region framework setup. It works nicely. Now to input the rest of the regions.:)

Could you describe how you got the regions added? I am curious about how you implemented this.

mbran01 May 18th, 2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenX (Post 83036)
I didn't use Factions to cover regions because of the actual Factions in the game setting.

There are enough organizations in the game I don't want to clutter it up with other things. Fire Knives, Zhentarim, Harpers, Red Wizards, etc. are in my data, just going to take time to get the regions added. Though If I do something like jbearwillis I can actually code the prereqs on the feats to account for region.

I thought about all the other factions, but it just seemed like it would take to much research and time to figure out how to set up a region mechanic and it was just easier to use factions. I like the idea of having them seperate though.

RavenX May 18th, 2012 08:49 AM

Honestly if he set them up the same way as Ethnicities, which I believe he did, then it won't be that much more work to actually do them separately. In the end having them separate would be better. There were not a lot of factions in the core rulebook, but when you start adding other books into the mix you have a lot of things to code. Personally I would rather have them as separate entities.

I am thinking the 3 of us might be able to collaborate and do smaller tasks on this project so that it all gets knocked out faster. There is a lot of data to do in just the Campaign Setting book.

jbearwillis May 18th, 2012 09:18 AM

Well being new to coding, it would be hard to explain, but I can send you my home rules file if you want and see what i did and maybe work it into what you want. That would be much easier for me to do then explain. Yes they are Ethnicities hidden from the race list using the helper tag. So when you pick a Race from the elvenkind Ethnicity it then will have you pick a region. I am still trying to add someway to allow when you pick a region that it will bring up some kind of dropbox to chose your bonus feat and one for equipment, if their is a way to do so.

RavenX May 18th, 2012 09:30 AM

The drop down menus are just a matter of knowing what tags to restrict the choices to. I have learned a lot about those.

jbearwillis May 18th, 2012 09:34 AM

Hey RavenX did you want me to send you my file.

mbran01 May 20th, 2012 05:15 AM

I like the idea of collaborating, because there is lot of work to craeate this data set.

RavenX May 20th, 2012 05:39 PM

jbearwillis: yeah I will want to look over what you did in your data. I plan on doing regions like you have done, this way I can script out prerequisites on the feats.

And mbran01: yes we can work together. If you have races done I will want to see those and we will figure out the rest from here. I am still adding deities. That will eat some time in and of itself. The data will be a large set when it is done though. 3 of us working on it will allow us to get the data finished quicker than me just doing it all by myself. It has taken a while for me to get to this point with the data, and I still have a ways to go on it.

RavenX May 20th, 2012 05:40 PM

Just letting you know, ShadowChemosh has released what data I have finished (The deities are not included in that data) and it can be downloaded via his pfsrd link.

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...=15583&page=11

RavenX May 20th, 2012 10:08 PM

So for starters why don't we decide who gets to do the prestige classes? Those will need to be done and will eat some time to do. You guys could split them up and tackle them though.

I finished up adding the human pantheon today, doing the spells and domains now to get that part of the pantheon done and released.

RavenX May 20th, 2012 10:16 PM

I could also use help on the Deities. I have added the elven and human deities, but the other ones will take some time to do. If someone wants to code them up, that would be great. (You don't have to worry about the descriptions, I just need the {b}Symbol{/b} of the god, and the domains checked off along with any other data the core gives you in the table listings. (Don't worry about domains that are not in there. I will get them done before releasing the data).

jbearwillis May 21st, 2012 02:17 PM

RavenX I'm Going through your Forgotten Realms Race file and adding the Region Tab since you did all the race work for me, I will add the rest of the humans to it as well. Just wondering if there is any regions not allowed by other races. Like elf Regions only allowed for elven races etc. You made it a lot easier for me to do it with all the work you have done - so a big thanks goes out to you. when I get it done, I will send it to you.

Lord Magus May 21st, 2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenX (Post 83208)
So for starters why don't we decide who gets to do the prestige classes? Those will need to be done and will eat some time to do. You guys could split them up and tackle them though.

I finished up adding the human pantheon today, doing the spells and domains now to get that part of the pantheon done and released.

I did Incantatrix for d20 a while back, but never got to finish it because I could never figure out the capstone ability (and it seems it is not easily doable either).

At least, I should be able to easily convert what i have done.

jbearwillis May 21st, 2012 05:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well Frame work is in Place - This is what it's going to look like - with me using your files RavenX - Just The human Races and the rest of the Regions. They should go pretty quick I hope, since I finished the hard part. Here is some screen shots of what it looks like

RavenX May 21st, 2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Magus (Post 83290)
I did Incantatrix for d20 a while back, but never got to finish it because I could never figure out the capstone ability (and it seems it is not easily doable either).

At least, I should be able to easily convert what i have done.

If you want to tackle some of these go right ahead. I will take on the lead of collaboration on this project.

@jbearwillis: The first image looks perfect to me. I was trying to figure out what you did, I think I understand it a bit. I had started adding human ethnicities already. I got Calishite, Chondathan, Damaran, Illuskan, and Mulan done over the weekend, I would like to point out that if something appears in Races of Faerun that applies to races covered in the rulebook, I am treating that material as an Update to previous material released. There are still other ethnicities for Human that need to be done though, if you want to tackle the remaining ones go ahead. (I am using the first set of paragraphs on them up to where the next section of text starts, this way the player gets a fair amount of background information and it will help get new players into the setting easier.) I will try to get more data out to you all soon.

Anyone that wants to assist on this project, just let me know. It is a lot of data but as a group we can crunch through it. I won't be doing more data crunching until next weekend, I have higher priority files to do, but I usually spend a fair amount of time coding during my game sessions (players argue over what to do, where to go, or during lunch and dinner breaks.) I currently have them delving Undermountain. The Human rogue is now a Gnome rogue, and is 5 levels below the rest of the party.

RavenX May 22nd, 2012 06:18 PM

A quick thought about the Regions, I had originally considered doing them as "Regional" character "traits" using the traits set up already in the system, but this should work too.

jbearwillis May 22nd, 2012 07:30 PM

Well that could work to - I just did it that way because I liked the look of it and the way it sets up on the character sheet LOL - but I might play around with that idea and see what I can do. The Tiefling is causing me a little trouble in the way I set it up. I have it working but no matter what it wants to give 2 choices even if the to sources that give them abilities are not check - which is puzzling the heck of me. I can't seem to figure how to stop it, when the sources are not checked to only give one choice each instead of 2.

RavenX May 22nd, 2012 08:01 PM

Tieflings automatically get a free language choice of Abyssal or Infernal. You may want to check the eval scripts on it.