Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Hero Lab Classic 64-bit Mac Open Beta (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=62792)

DaveM June 11th, 2019 09:09 AM

Hero Lab Classic 64-bit Mac Open Beta

64-bit Mac version is no longer in Beta. Version 8.9 and higher is 64-bit only for the Mac.

We are releasing a beta version of Hero Lab for the Mac today that is 64-bit and thus compatible with the new macOS Catalina (10.15) (which is itself currently in beta).

This beta may be installed safely on top of existing 32-bit versions, allowing either version to be used at any time. The gamesystems will automatically re-compile when switching versions, but otherwise they should be able to share data seamlessly.

If problems are discovered in the Beta, you may always revert to the original application. Any issues with the Beta, please report to our support email or in this forum.

[UPDATE] The beta has been updated and is now located at:

https://www.wolflair.com/download/pl...99_install.dmg

And this is mirrored at:

https://www.wolflair.com/download/pl...mac64_beta.dmg

Tekwych June 11th, 2019 04:05 PM

Thanks Dave. something to download when I get home tonight.

hart8210 June 14th, 2019 02:12 PM

I installed the beta today. It installed fine and asked to reinitialize my license key, which it did without a problem. After restarting Hero Lab the problem is that it says my game system is not licensed for this license (Pathfinder in my case). I reactivated the license again from the program itself, but upon restart still get the same issue with the game system running in demo mode. Any ideas?

Tekwych June 14th, 2019 10:07 PM

I’ve been able to open Pathfinder, Shadowrun (4&5), and Savage Worlds without problem. I’ve made new character but have not saved yet.

DaveM June 17th, 2019 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hart8210 (Post 279672)
I installed the beta today. It installed fine and asked to reinitialize my license key, which it did without a problem. After restarting Hero Lab the problem is that it says my game system is not licensed for this license (Pathfinder in my case). I reactivated the license again from the program itself, but upon restart still get the same issue with the game system running in demo mode. Any ideas?

Which version of macOS are you working with? I have had at least one other person report this same issue who is using 10.15 beta, but I am unable to reproduce it in 10.13 or 10.14.

jensfischerhh June 17th, 2019 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveM (Post 279737)
Which version of macOS are you working with? I have had at least one other person report this same issue who is using 10.15 beta, but I am unable to reproduce it in 10.13 or 10.14.

Same problem here, running on 10.13.6 High Sierra

hart8210 June 20th, 2019 08:21 AM

I am running Mojave, 10.14.

Tekwych June 20th, 2019 08:58 AM

I am at 10.14.5 (18F132) on a MacBook Pro

richwilkes June 20th, 2019 04:25 PM

I'm seeing the same "unlicensed" problem as well. Running macOS 10.14.5. Specifically, it is telling me I'm not licensed for the Pathfinder content I've purchased.

DaveM July 2nd, 2019 04:23 PM

I have posted an update to the Mac 64-bit beta that should address the issue with licenses not working. The installer for this is at:

https://www.wolflair.com/download/pl...64_install.dmg

Thanks to everyone who has tried this out so far!

DaveM July 24th, 2019 10:16 AM

Updated BETA

I've updated the Mac beta again. Please download this version and give it a shot!

The new installer is at:

https://www.wolflair.com/download/pl...89_install.dmg

And this is mirrored at:

Tekwych July 25th, 2019 08:26 AM

I have tried both the prime and the mirror and get the installed app won't open. The error is that the app id damaged and should be placed in the trash. The installer completes with no error. Issue is the same from both sources.

Lord Magus July 25th, 2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tekwych (Post 280465)
I have tried both the prime and the mirror and get the installed app won't open. The error is that the app id damaged and should be placed in the trash.

Same here

wildj79 July 27th, 2019 10:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Same here. Here is a screen shot of the error dialog I see when I try to open this.

DaveM July 29th, 2019 09:28 AM

Sorry about the issue - there was a problem with the codesigning that Apple interpreted as an error. This has been repaired, and a new version of the installer (at the same location) should fix this.

Tekwych July 29th, 2019 07:49 PM

codesigning fixed. Install complete from primary. Did not bother trying mirror.

Thank You Dave, have fun at Gen Con.

avagdu July 30th, 2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveM (Post 280447)
I've updated the Mac beta again. Please download this version and give it a shot!

The new installer is at:

https://www.wolflair.com/download/pl...89_install.dmg

And this is mirrored at:

I am running the 10.15 beta, and both the mirror and installer link bring up the "can't be scanned for malicious software" error. I was able to get it to open by secondary clicking and choosing open to bypass Gatekeeper. I'm not sure if some of the code signing requirements changed between 10.14.6 and 10.15, but it may be an issue to look into.

On the positive side, I'm not getting the "trial version" error anymore, which is wonderful.

Tekwych July 30th, 2019 08:14 PM

The beta is very unstable and has a limited number of app producers included so I’m not surprised. We’ve pulled it as there is nothing to learn from it in actual production machines compared to the loss of stability and output. The new toys are nice but just not worth it on a production machine

Clarification: Speaking about Apple beta of the Catalina OS, Not the LWD 64 bit beta. I am currently having no issues with the LWD beta running on Apple OS 10.14.5

TCArknight August 3rd, 2019 01:04 PM

One thing I noticed is that with the 64 bit beta - If I install it along with my non-64 bit version and I try to use HLExport with the older version, I get a message that the Version of HL doesn't match the version of the tool (8.9).

That's not a big deal, but just thought would bring it up. :)

avagdu August 22nd, 2019 08:40 PM

Has the HLO beta been updated? I currently have 8.9, #889.

Tekwych August 23rd, 2019 06:08 AM

I have the same. I believe that is most resent

Shifty-eyes August 31st, 2019 05:03 AM

Hero Lab for Catalina?

Aren't we cutting things a little close? MacOS Catalina promises to shut out all 32-bit apps and nary a sign that a stable version of Hero Lab will be available before then!

Lone Wolf: You're making me a little nervous. Any idea when the latest release will be ready?

Tekwych September 1st, 2019 07:58 AM

Catalina still has a long way to go. At least two months from gold master. I’m sure LWD will have things in place. It’s the music industry that will be hurting. Several major programs have said it will be Q2 202 before they hav3 updates in place.

Lj Stephens September 1st, 2019 07:56 PM

Hi folks!

We do have a 64-bit beta available now at
http://www.wolflair.com/download/pla...mac64_beta.dmg

We are working to fix some stability issues right now and hope to have a final build out this week or next.

Shifty-eyes September 3rd, 2019 08:47 PM

Tekwych~

Catalina will supposedly be released by the end of this month. The Q2 2020 deadline is more likely the app notarization requirements embedded in the new OS; Hero Lab is just about the last app on my system that's still running in 32-bit mode.

Thanks for the update, LJ!

willwrk4internet September 18th, 2019 04:54 PM

Has anyone tested the compatibility of HLClassic 64-bit with the community packs? I am specifically interested in the Pathfinder community pack. Since the community files are mostly .user file extension, I would assume they carry over without issue, but I am waiting to upgrade for now.

ShadowChemosh September 18th, 2019 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willwrk4internet (Post 282318)
Has anyone tested the compatibility of HLClassic 64-bit with the community packs? I am specifically interested in the Pathfinder community pack. Since the community files are mostly .user file extension, I would assume they carry over without issue, but I am waiting to upgrade for now.

Yep I have tested without finding any issues. :)

DaveM September 19th, 2019 12:36 PM

Hello, I have updated the Mac 64-bit BETA. This version should install and work on 10.15 Catalina. This is expected to be the final Beta release prior to a final 64-bit release soon.

https://www.wolflair.com/download/pl...99_install.dmg

Known issues: In current beta versions of 10.15 Catalina, some extra black lines show in the display. We are working to address this issue.

Tekwych September 23rd, 2019 02:07 PM

Thanks Dave. sorry it took so long. read this from my iPad and forgot about it when I was at the computer until now. Instaler is broken or file is damaged.

DaveM September 23rd, 2019 03:42 PM

Really? I was able to download the file from the link above and install it just fine on a secondary Mac that I have, with Catalina installed.

I've now released this as an official 8.9 release, so please try an update or go to our main site and download from there. If you are still having issues, open a support ticket and call me out by name so that I can take a closer look.

Tekwych September 23rd, 2019 05:01 PM

The actual 64 bit has gone live. My guess is they disabled the beta. I have HLC in 64 bit through the standard in app update

dballing September 25th, 2019 01:55 AM

I downloaded the most recent version (which seems to be the final) but I get a message that

"“Hero Lab” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.
This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information."

Anyone experience this?

Thoth Amon September 25th, 2019 02:18 AM

"Hero Lab quit unexpectedly" on Mac after 8.9 update (10.14.6 Mojave).

curufaukor September 25th, 2019 06:08 AM

I have the same problem as Thoth since the update released yesterday night or this morning. I am also on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6.

It has me quite anxious as I have a monthly game I'm supposed to be running this evening with people traveling a fair distance to play and all of my encounters are built in my Hero Lab install.

I mindlessly installed the latest version on top of my old version when I saw there was an update and now it crashes on start.

Is anyone aware of an archive of past versions of Hero Lab so I could re-install the previous version?

Here's my crash log:
https://pastebin.com/UcixRF3q

knight2142 September 25th, 2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth Amon (Post 282520)
"Hero Lab quit unexpectedly" on Mac after 8.9 update (10.14.6 Mojave).

+1

Tried overwriting, fresh install from upgrade package that HLC downloaded, and fresh install from new download from website....all crashing on me.

GoldenBlue September 25th, 2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight2142 (Post 282533)
+1

Me too!

Tried deleting preferences and removing app entirely. Still crashes on launch.

Kahga September 25th, 2019 12:32 PM

I am also experiencing total inability to launch.

Any advice on how to go back to 32-bit (I replaced the old one with the new one)?

Tekwych September 25th, 2019 01:17 PM

Its working fine for me but I am on 10.14.6 (18G95)

Latrecis September 25th, 2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenBlue (Post 282538)
Me too!

Tried deleting preferences and removing app entirely. Still crashes on launch.

Ditto. Installed last night, getting same error. Removed. Tried re-installing, continuing to fail. Very annoying considering I want to play in an hour.

Of course I guess it's my own fault for not keeping the previous version but never had this problem with HL before.

And of course it wouldn't hurt if Wolflair made it possible to get at older versions of the code. I'd be more than happy reverting to 8.8 until this was resolved.

I'm sure their email-based support system will respond in the nick of time to get me back working. Oh wait, sent email last night, still no reply. Guess not.

DaveM September 25th, 2019 02:42 PM

Mac 64-bit installation issues

We apologize for the errors that have occurred in the latest Mac installation. We are tracking down the source of the issue now and hope to have a solution soon, but don't have a good ETA quite yet. I would expect that this will be fixed before the end of the week.

The source of the problem seems to be a conflict with Apple's Gatekeeper which aims to prevent things downloaded from the internet unless certain criteria are met. We believe we are satisfying those criteria, but the error persists, so we are still investigating.

For those looking to revert back to 32-bit until we get this fixed, you can find previous updates you have downloaded by going to finder, hit Shift-Cmd-G to go to a specific folder, and type in: ~/Library/Application Support/Hero Lab/download. This folder contains items previously downloaded by Hero lab, including previous installers, which are named hl<version>_mac.install.dmg.