Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Shadowrun (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Hero Lab Community Repository for Shadowrun 5th? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57501)

cndblank January 23rd, 2017 05:07 PM

Hero Lab Community Repository for Shadowrun 5th?

Is there any Hero Lab Community Repository for Shadowrun 5th?
Something that allows shared user data and characters?

I figure we GMs reinvent the wheel a lot.

adzling January 27th, 2017 10:24 AM

i've got a shared dropbox folder with tons of herolab characters.
you wanna share?

cndblank January 27th, 2017 05:38 PM

Yes. I'm working a the Spikes Troll gang leadership

cndblank January 29th, 2017 05:49 AM

How do they do the Pathfinder shared user content?

Duck January 30th, 2017 09:21 AM

A shared data repository would be awesome. Is there anything like this already?

Ech0 January 31st, 2017 09:54 PM

I also have a bunch of NPCs pre-sorted and ready to share!

Maybe we could get a space on the hero lab website, with a handy options menu indicating which data packs were used to create them.

adzling February 2nd, 2017 08:01 AM

or we could just post dropbox shared folder links here?

cndblank February 2nd, 2017 10:53 PM

'A shared data repository would be awesome. Is there anything like this already?'
Not to my knowledge.

If nothing else we need to get a shared google drive or something like that.

I think we need to agree to use good naming convention on the NPCs.
Archetypes and race are good things to include in the title of the NPC.

Omae for Chummer is awesome. A searchable data base of NPCs is really useful.
We might want to also do PDFs of the NPCs for when someone doesn't have all of the Herolab shadowrun content.

I should have a nice collection of Spikes Troll Go Gangers. I have Prospects, Patched members, and Chromed Patched members. Plus a few heavy hitters for special occasions like a Spike Fighting adept and a Spike Combat Biker rigger.

adzling February 4th, 2017 06:39 AM

i already name my npcs this way (troll rigger, orc ganger, etc).

ShadowChemosh February 5th, 2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cndblank (Post 242840)
How do they do the Pathfinder shared user content?

Hey all. I am the person who runs the d20 (3.5), Pathfinder and 5e D&D repositories. I just saw this thread by chance but figured I could give some information.

The first step is to use a source code repository tool like GitHub. HERE is a link to the Pathfinder one currently in use. This is very helpful as it allows multiple people to make changes to the .user files and to be kept in sync. In addition it has communication tools for collaboration and even bug tracking. The really great part is that its 100% free as long as you are ok with your source code being seen by anyone. This is perfect for such OpenSource tools like HL addons. Take a look at Pathfinder Community Standards post I did for Pathfinder and GitHub as it has some information including desktop software to make things easier.

The second thing is the ability to create a .hl file which is a Hero Lab install file. This file is a compressed file that can contain .por, .stock, .user files and even custom output files. It also is designed to work with version numbers so that it notifies people when a new higher version is available. HERE is an article from LW about creating the .hl file for the iPad. But the .hl can be used with any HL software.

Third you need a static URL address to host the file so that gamers can get to the install file. For this I actually provide a server to all three community groups. I would have no issue adding a fourth for Shadowrun. What I do for Sendric for d20 I gave him his own user id/password that allows access to a single subfolder of my server. He then uses a FTP Client to easily change the .hl file and .xml file when a new version comes out. This works out really well and means one less thing for me to do. :)

HERE is an article I wrote up for others on how to use DropBox, hl install files, and how to craft the URL xml. That should cover allot of the specific details that anyone could have. I don't recommend DropBox for large scale repository as DropBox under heavy use will shut down the link. For small gaming groups it works perfect but in example my Pathfinder repository can get 10,000 downloads in a month. Dropbox would shut that down with a quarter of those downloads. :(

The last and most important part of this is the PERSON who is in charge. For d20 its Sendric, for Pathfinder myself, and for 5e its daplunk. But you need one person to take charge who going to be around and available. They need to be able to take the reins and run with them. I don't hang out in areas outside of the D&D stuff on these boards so I don't know who that would be here. :(

I will try and monitor this thread. But feel free to PM me with questions also.