Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - d20 System (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Target tag (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=53313)

Sendric July 2nd, 2015 09:28 AM

Target tag

I suspect the answer is no, but I'm curious. Does anyone know if the Target tag works with specials or just feats? For example, Weapon Focus can use the Target.[weapon thing id] to force the selection of a specific weapon. Would we be able to do the same thing with Ability Focus to select a specific special (ie Target.[special thing id])?

ShadowChemosh July 2nd, 2015 09:47 AM

It appears that Target.? will currently work with "Spell School", "Skill", and "weapons". But I am 90% sure adding it to Specials would be very easy. I can take a look at that for the next release...

Kendall-DM July 2nd, 2015 10:32 AM

The problem isn't the targeting, at least from my perspective as a coder. The problem is how does it benefit the user to have such a tag in the first place. Works great with Weapons and Skills because they have a common field that can be used as a modifier across the board. Not so much with Spell School, the target is added but it modifies nothing as far as I know. In PF I'm sure their is a DC field for each spell that is calculated and then the Spell School target has something to modified based on the matching Spell School of the spell. But D20 doesn't have that. Now, unless a DC field is added to the Specials, with all the attendant ways that a DC can be modified by type (to avoid stacking), I probably wouldn't use the tag unless it had some tangible effect in HL. I don't use the Spell School one for just that reason. Just my two brain cells worth of thought on this matter.

ShadowChemosh July 2nd, 2015 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendall-DM (Post 211983)
The problem isn't the targeting, at least from my perspective as a coder. The problem is how does it benefit the user to have such a tag in the first place. Works great with Weapons and Skills because they have a common field that can be used as a modifier across the board. Not so much with Spell School, the target is added but it modifies nothing as far as I know. In PF I'm sure their is a DC field for each spell that is calculated and then the Spell School target has something to modified based on the matching Spell School of the spell. But D20 doesn't have that. Now, unless a DC field is added to the Specials, with all the attendant ways that a DC can be modified by type (to avoid stacking), I probably wouldn't use the tag unless it had some tangible effect in HL. I don't use the Spell School one for just that reason. Just my two brain cells worth of thought on this matter.

You are correct that DC is missing from "many" Things in d20. But "one" step at a time and in this case it won't hurt anything to add the Target.? tags now. But yeah DC is another HUGE lacking area including spells and spell schools....

Sendric July 2nd, 2015 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh (Post 211978)
It appears that Target.? will currently work with "Spell School", "Skill", and "weapons". But I am 90% sure adding it to Specials would be very easy. I can take a look at that for the next release...

Thanks, Shadow. I would consider it a relatively low priority, but it would be useful to have.

Sendric August 10th, 2015 10:25 AM

Just FYI, this apparently doesn't work with Specific Magic Weapons either.

Aaron August 10th, 2015 12:34 PM

Actually, I'd like to weigh in on why Target tags don't exist for racial specials, at least in PF. If I recall correctly, it is because racial specials often have to be bootstrapped with their target, and having the Target tag for themselves as an identity tag means they will have two and not know what to point at. In addition, if you wanted them to select something based on the user choosing in a dropdown, the presence of a Target tag shuts that down. The special would in essence not allow a selection because it automatically selects itself.

ShadowChemosh August 10th, 2015 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron (Post 214041)
Actually, I'd like to weigh in on why Target tags don't exist for racial specials, at least in PF. If I recall correctly, it is because racial specials often have to be bootstrapped with their target, and having the Target tag for themselves as an identity tag means they will have two and not know what to point at. In addition, if you wanted them to select something based on the user choosing in a dropdown, the presence of a Target tag shuts that down. The special would in essence not allow a selection because it automatically selects itself.

Thanks Aaron. I had not gotten into this Target.? stuff yet as more important issues in d20 currently. I appreciate the info and will keep it in mind for when I take a look at the target tags...