Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   NPC / Monster organization strategy (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=61492)

Murrdox October 30th, 2018 08:55 AM

NPC / Monster organization strategy

Hey folks,

I'm working on populating Realm Works for Infinity (2D20 sci-fi game) and I'm coming across some issues with how I should be including NPCs and "Monsters" in the game. Could use some assistance in the best way to organize this.

Infinity doesn't have "Monsters" per say, but there are various NPC types, like Pirates, Gang Members, Mercenaries, Troopers, etc. I have entered these basic NPCs into my Mechanics Reference under "Dangers" as Monsters / Enemy. No problem here.

What I'm having trouble with is the best way to build out my Scenes. In Shadowrun this was pretty easy to do. I would just have a Hero Lab Portfolio for the scene, and I would link it in the Hero Lab snippet. Done.

Obviously there is no Hero Lab support for Infinity 2D20, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. If the scene just requires some vanilla bad guys, then this is pretty easy, I just list out all the enemies in the scene, and Realm Works turns them into clickable links to the list in the Mechanics Reference. No problem. But special NPCs are giving me trouble.

I needed a hacker for a scene. I don't really want to add this single hacker to the main Adversary section in the Mechanics. He's just going to show up in this scene alone. I created an Adversary Template to use for all my adversaries, but I can't easily duplicate the template for a Mechanics reference and put it in a topic for an Individual.

So far the best I've come up with is that I'm going to have to create another template in the "People" section for an individual, and make a template there. I feel like this is going to result in a lot of copy/pasting though when I'm generating NPCs.

Just curious how other people are organizing this, and if anyone has suggestions.

daplunk October 30th, 2018 11:47 AM

I would just make the hacker in the dangers section. You never you, might be useful down the track. You can duplicate topics so that should speed it up of you can base it on something else.

Vargr October 30th, 2018 09:35 PM

I would make a topic containing the hacker and place it under/in your scene.

He is - I assume - after all a "named NPC" and thus not a generic "Guard #2".

If you end up only using him for that scene you just leave him in that scene.

If you later have to use him elsewhere or he becomes a recurring villain or maybe even an ally of the party you can easily move him somewhere else where he fits better into the way you have organised your realm.

Acenoid October 31st, 2018 12:21 PM

Exactly you can always move things around!

Except between world and mechanic almanachs for some reason :/

kbs666 October 31st, 2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acenoid (Post 272238)
Exactly you can always move things around!

You can move between the two sides it's just more difficult.

ShadowChemosh October 31st, 2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acenoid (Post 272238)

Rob's answer on how to do this.

Murrdox November 4th, 2018 05:45 PM

Hmm thanks for the feedback. I'm going to take a closer look at Rob's suggestion.

I have this desire to keep my Mechanics section "clean"... consisting of generic NPCs or universally applicable NPC templates. Then named NPCs or special characters a part of the actual adventure quests and scenes. But it might not be realistic to do this.

I might just create an Adversary grouping for named characters... that way they can be in the Mechanics section, yet separated?

kbs666 November 4th, 2018 06:56 PM

I tend to put named NPC in the story side. But to each their own. do what works for you.

Valyar November 5th, 2018 03:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have "Monster Manual" created in the Mechanics section and there I put every monster - generic or adventure specific (as showed in the screen shots).

For each named NPC that has profile that exists in the mechanic section, I simply refer it in its Profile section in the World Almanac.

Attached are two screenshots.

IronDog November 6th, 2018 01:21 AM

I've been populating Infinity RPG into Realmworks for some time now (Modiphius Kickstarter backer), the way I've done it is just creating a Monster/Enemy entry in the Mechanics Reference. I use the suffix in the name as "unit type" reference and a source reference for the prefix to keep entries unique. For example; 421b - ARMS DEALER (ELITE).

In the World/Story Almanac I create entries on who is in a particular scene and how they behave, for specific "Named" NPCs I create full entries as a child topic to this and "Generic" NPC entries just have a link to their corresponding Mechanics Reference.