Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Savage Worlds (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Rifts for Savage Worlds (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=55700)

Tekwych April 26th, 2016 08:43 PM

Rifts for Savage Worlds

Rifts for Savage Worlds has launched on KS and is already funded. I still love Rifts and look forward to seeing the Savage take on this iconic setting.

Paragon April 27th, 2016 09:50 AM

In fact, its funded 20 times over. Damn.

dartnet April 27th, 2016 05:04 PM

IF it's half as good as it was in the play test it will be worth every penny.

Paragon April 28th, 2016 01:26 PM

I'm extremely leery of anything KS and Palladium have a hand in, but I wish the writers and the Pinnacle people the best of luck (though I'm not entirely thrilled with some things I've heard of in the design).

SeeleyOne April 28th, 2016 03:04 PM

I have heard people mention mistrust in Kickstarter. The thing is, whether or not a product is completed has nothing to do with Kickstarter -- it is up to the company that you are backing. Pinnacle has a great track record.

nyarlathottep April 28th, 2016 07:46 PM

I always loved the world but hated, hated, HATED the Palladium system. I am really looking forward to seeing the world ported to a system I actually enjoy.

I just hope someone makes a Hero Lab package for it. I am, alas, not skilled enough to do it myself.

dartnet April 28th, 2016 08:05 PM

I am sure that WILL happen.

We just may have to have a Tunderdome match to see who it is. ;)

Paragon April 29th, 2016 12:07 PM

Sorry, the "KS" was not Kickstarter, but Kevin Siemieda in my above quote--though his own Kickstarters have all been particularly dodgy, far as that goes...

SeeleyOne April 29th, 2016 12:31 PM

Ah, well that makes more sense. ;)

dartnet April 29th, 2016 10:11 PM

Kevin is not running the Kick Starter. Shane would not have started the Kick Starter if there was any chance of interference.

zarlor April 30th, 2016 04:35 AM

I would add that I've done every Pinnacle Kickstarter except Deadlands: Noir (which I somehow completely missed) and they absolutely always deliver. Core PDFs of the books are usually available within about a month of the completion of the Kickstarter. Many backers like to go the Pinnacle forum and provide feedback on typos and any other mistakes they find and Pinnacle incorporates that errata into the PDF they eventually put up for sale on their website as well as into the print books. Stretch goals tend to get released at a steady pace after that usually culminating in any print items you might have backed for. They always deliver and do a really great job of it, in my experience. Then again that's pretty much par for the course for Shane and company anyway, thankfully.

Darq April 30th, 2016 06:32 AM

Is anyone already planning on doing a Data File for this? The guys at the Kick Starter are asking.

zarlor April 30th, 2016 08:16 AM

I've been too busy lately, I haven't even touched Wierd War 1. Maybe dartnet will be up to the task, though? Especially after doing The Last Parsec this might have some similarities. Besides, get enough of those guys on the Kickstarter to actually buy HeroLab for Savage Worlds and we might see a bit more official support from LoneWolf for us, too. ;)

Paragon April 30th, 2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dartnet (Post 229000)
Kevin is not running the Kick Starter. Shane would not have started the Kick Starter if there was any chance of interference.

Given past history, I don't think "no chance of interference" is possible here. I'm sure Shane has taken what precautions he can, but Kevin's history is what it is, and its pretty bad.

zarlor April 30th, 2016 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paragon (Post 229033)
Given past history, I don't think "no chance of interference" is possible here. I'm sure Shane has taken what precautions he can, but Kevin's history is what it is, and its pretty bad.

You may be right, of course, but I can say that from my interactions with Shane and other Pinnacle folks as well following them very closely ever since Hell on Earth came out in 1998 and the infamous Teller was GMing our game for us. Their track record is downright impeccable. Their Kickstarter record speaks for itself. The only things I can think of that ever fell through (and those did not have dates set in stone like this Kickstarter does) had to do with media rights for things like a Deadlands show. The only other slippages tended to deal with external authors but I don't remember any of those having concrete dates to begin with, and even those were before any of his Kickstarters anyway... all of those have been solidly delivered. In my experience Shane is not only good at covering his bases but when it comes to releasing details to his customers, and especially when he makes a promise, he flat follows through on it. It's that kind of behavior that not only leads me to trust him but that has made me a very loyal fan of PEG, Inc. over all of these years.

Of course in this instance there's no pressing need to back the Kickstarter if you're concerned about it since it's already funded. If you wanted to get the setting you can just wait and see how it all works out and just buy it from Pinnacle if you like what you see then. Backing the Kickstarter just gets you stuff earlier (even pre-published, but might need a final polish, set of PDFs if you want things that early) and helps support stretch goals for extra stuff to be included in the final product as well as to get any Kickstarter exclusive things (although I'm not sure if there are any for this, mind you.)

Paragon May 2nd, 2016 01:02 PM

People probably shouldn't pay too much attention to me here; I'm largely just expressing my cynicism about anything involving Siembieda, since I'm only marginally interested in this project. I have no reason to question any part of the PEG folks participation at all; as you say, they've been eminently professional in anything they've ever done I'm aware of.

dartnet May 3rd, 2016 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarlor (Post 229030)
Maybe dartnet will be up to the task, though?

To quote Doc Holiday "I'll be your huckeberry." So yea I was a play tester for Savage Rifts. I have a good picture of what needs to go in to a data file. It looks like it will have to be a fan file to begin with.

That being said there is ALLOT of stuff that will need to be coded. If I were to work on a file I would like to get some help. Maybe this may be the first team effort.

zarlor May 4th, 2016 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dartnet (Post 229187)
To quote Doc Holiday "I'll be your huckeberry." So yea I was a play tester for Savage Rifts. I have a good picture of what needs to go in to a data file. It looks like it will have to be a fan file to begin with.

That being said there is ALLOT of stuff that will need to be coded. If I were to work on a file I would like to get some help. Maybe this may be the first team effort.

I'll certainly do what I can, although the real pro-coder here appears to be SeeleyOne. I'm just a dabbler compared to a lot of the stuff he tosses out.

Paragon May 4th, 2016 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarlor (Post 229197)
I'll certainly do what I can, although the real pro-coder here appears to be SeeleyOne. I'm just a dabbler compared to a lot of the stuff he tosses out.

And I'm probably a step behind Zarlor, though I like to think I have a better handle on the SW stuff than the other game systems I've tried to work with.

dartnet June 22nd, 2016 06:41 PM

Who has 2 thumbs, a certain PDF, and is no longer under there NDA?

So I am in the mood to code something tonight.....

CapedCrusader June 22nd, 2016 09:36 PM

Excellent timing. I should be done with the Super Powers work by the end of the weekend.

I have to finish two reviews (Evernight and ETU) and then I need to finish the Interface 2.0 data file. Then, dartnet, zarlor and I need to work up the new Deadlands file.

The review of Rifts (I am in on the KS as well...) will sit in there somewhere, depending on when he gets it done, and how much different it is than the stock 2nd Edition Super Powers Companion and Sci-Fi stuff.

salcor June 23rd, 2016 07:27 PM

CapedCrusader,

For the most part the major change is the iconic frame work. The best comparison I have for it is the branches from agents of oblivion. It provides attributes, skills, abilities, hinderances, and equipment to the characters. There are also iconic edges and hinderances as well. This also leads into the heroic journey tables which provides hooks and customization. Finally new powers that allow for mega-damage/mdc spells and psionics.

On IZ 2.0, I have been doing some data entry for weapons and cybernetics if you want to take a look. It is pretty simple due to my programing skills.

Salcor

CapedCrusader June 28th, 2016 01:22 PM

I've already got all the cyberware in, thanks!

Gelfarin July 25th, 2016 12:41 PM

Is this a project you guys will be working on or is there some licensing issues that might prevent it?

zarlor July 25th, 2016 01:00 PM

It's a Pinnacle release so there shouldn't be any licensing issue. So assuming dartnet is working on it and willing to share it through the official updater then once he's done that and sent it to CapedCrusader for review, and once LoneWolf sets him up to post the data file in the updater then it should be good to go from there.

I would note that the majority of the non-Companion data files are all just fan-created. LoneWolf has the license with Pinnacle (and one or two others) for publishing in HeroLab so they just try to do a thorough check of the file to make sure it's all formatted correctly and such and then they just provide the mechanism for data file authors to publish through HeroLab's update mechanism. Thankfully for us those have all free, too!

Gelfarin July 25th, 2016 01:31 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I don't know if there's a way to do it, but I'd gladly pay for this datafile. I've been tinkering around with the Editor and a bit nervous I'm going to mess something up. Got one whole suit of TW armor added successfully. The next one gives a Toughness bonus and has a Strength requirement. Now if I can figure out how to adjust those...

SeeleyOne July 25th, 2016 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gelfarin (Post 232604)
Thanks for the explanation. I don't know if there's a way to do it, but I'd gladly pay for this datafile. I've been tinkering around with the Editor and a bit nervous I'm going to mess something up. Got one whole suit of TW armor added successfully. The next one gives a Toughness bonus and has a Strength requirement. Now if I can figure out how to adjust those...

Just keep at it. It takes practice and patience. Try to find something that does similar somewhere else. There is not a whole lot of documentation, but some of us have shared some methods to do what you want.

Also, test it. Test your things in Creation Mode and as an Advance. Some things work just fine in Creation Mode, but break when taken as an Advance. Messing with gear would not have such a problem, but here are a couple of things to point out:

1) Skills cannot have requirements. This works fine in Creation Mode, but they do not validate correctly while in Advancement mode.

2) Containerreqs only work correctly for things that you do not buy with Advances. For example, they work fine for weapons, armor, gear, vehicles, Races, Groups, and Factions. They break for Skills and Edges when taking them as Advancements. Most people will not care about Contaierreqs anwyay, but as an FYI these are for when you want to get fancy and have something appear only when a source is checked in Configure Hero, and another is not. For example, you might have an item that exists in a type of setting (say a specific time period), but only when the Realms of Cthulu and the time period are both checked, but not for the other time periods.

3) Bootstrapping a skill to a character has a quirk in that if you take the edge or Racial Ability or whatever that gives you the skill, HL wants to charge you for its d4 skill point. The way to get around this is to add an Eval Script that gives you the skill point. As I said, this is how it works in Creation Mode. It does not charge you the skill point when taking it as an Advancement. This has been a dilemma for some as there is no easy way to mark something as taken at Creation or as an Advance, at least not that I have been able to find. Too bad that it is not just a field, in which case the edge that gives the skill could then see if the edge was taken at creation or as an advance and choose correctly as to if it will apply the skill point or not.

I am sure that there are some others, but I cannot think of them at the moment.

A complaint of mine is that you cannot create Derived Traits what will be omitted from being printed out. They would make a great place to store a value for us that we do not want to clutter the sheet with. Likewise, they could be made to only appear when the value is not zero by inserting a simple "no print" statement inside an "if" statement that makes it not want to be printed when it is zero.

dartnet July 25th, 2016 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarlor (Post 232602)
It's a Pinnacle release so there shouldn't be any licensing issue. So assuming dartnet is working on it and willing to share it through the official updater then once he's done that and sent it to CapedCrusader for review, and once LoneWolf sets him up to post the data file in the updater then it should be good to go from there.

I would note that the majority of the non-Companion data files are all just fan-created. LoneWolf has the license with Pinnacle (and one or two others) for publishing in HeroLab so they just try to do a thorough check of the file to make sure it's all formatted correctly and such and then they just provide the mechanism for data file authors to publish through HeroLab's update mechanism. Thankfully for us those have all free, too!

I am working a file that I hope to be able to turn in to LoneWolf for official release. It's going to take awhile but the recent update due to the Super Power Companion really helps.

Gelfarin July 26th, 2016 12:37 PM

Thanks everyone. To Seelyone thank you for the crash course. I'm still poking around in it and I'm learning a ton. To Dartnet thank you for sharing your talents. I can already tell this is truly a labor of love and gamers like myself can't express enough our appreciation for your efforts. There probably isn't much I can do, but if there's bonehead data entry I can assist with, please PM me and share how.

Nephelim July 31st, 2016 06:08 AM

This is great to hear, guys! As one of the KS supporters and a long time fan of Herolab, I applaud your efforts from the sidelines... I can't offer much for help right now, butI'd be happy to test a file out once you have one ready?

TCArknight August 12th, 2016 07:29 AM

Any update on this?

Also, will this require any other datasets?

SeeleyOne August 12th, 2016 08:11 AM

I am just coming from the sidelines, but to get the most out of Rifts it would require all of them.

dartnet August 12th, 2016 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCArknight (Post 233353)
Any update on this?

Also, will this require any other datasets?

Work on the data file is going slowly.

So far I have Powers, Non-Iconic Edges, Hindrances, Languages (Yes there in there) done.

I am working on Races at this time.

Yes it will require the Science Fiction Companion.

salcor August 13th, 2016 11:35 AM

So are planning to set up Iconic Frameworks like the different branches from Agents of Oblivion?

SeeleyOne August 13th, 2016 12:14 PM

They could just be rewards with requirements that bootstrap things. That is what I would recommend since they are gotten at character creation anyway

Gelfarin August 15th, 2016 05:49 PM

I can't wait for this. Playing SR quite a bit these days and there are a lot of things to keep track of.

dartnet August 15th, 2016 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salcor (Post 233400)
So are planning to set up Iconic Frameworks like the different branches from Agents of Oblivion?

Yes very much so. I did both files and have a habit on building on and improving my work.

I do wish to apologize on the time it is taking. I am currently unemployed and the job hunt is eating all of my free time.

dartnet August 15th, 2016 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeeleyOne (Post 233402)
They could just be rewards with requirements that bootstrap things. That is what I would recommend since they are gotten at character creation anyway

That is how Heroic Path rolls are being handled.

SeeleyOne August 16th, 2016 04:12 PM

Good to hear. I think I got mixed up on the terminology but you got what I meant.

Mauron August 16th, 2016 11:53 PM

My group is going to be switching to Savage Rifts in a few weeks. Is there anything I can do to help get this working?