Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Grant magic list as racial spell selection. (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=59627)

DeltaMasterMind November 26th, 2017 05:10 AM

Grant magic list as racial spell selection.

I am writing a ability out called Magic Engineer. This is the description: Choose two 1st-level spells with the ritual tag from the wizard spell list. You have these spells memorized and can cast them as rituals. Intelligence determines your spell casting ability for these spells. What is the best way to handle this? I have used the Pathfinder editor so I got some idea, but this seems a bit over me.

dungeonguru November 26th, 2017 06:19 AM

This is near identical to the Ritual Caster feat that exists in the community files already. Your version narrows it down to Wizard only and changes the pre-req, but it is otherwise identical. This is pretty complex, since it calls a configurable as well as having associated scripts but could be copied and "dumbed down".

A simpler way, if you're building this as a racial ability, you could also look at the High Elf subrace (go to subrace and copy the high elf to look at the fields). That subrace shows the 3 fields used to grant the high elf its 1 1st-level wizard spell, you can modify the search string to get 1st level wizard rituals like this:
sClass.cHelpWiz & sLevel.0 & Helper.RitualSpel

But to get the spells page to lock down the spell as a ritual only you would need a script to search for your racial spells and add (ritual only) to the spell's livename and shortname.

If you're adding this as a background ability, you would have to go the route of copying the logic and configurable from Ritual Caster though.

DeltaMasterMind November 26th, 2017 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dungeonguru (Post 259351)
This is near identical to the Ritual Caster feat that exists in the community files already. Your version narrows it down to Wizard only and changes the pre-req, but it is otherwise identical. This is pretty complex, since it calls a configurable as well as having associated scripts but could be copied and "dumbed down".

A simpler way, if you're building this as a racial ability, you could also look at the High Elf subrace (go to subrace and copy the high elf to look at the fields). That subrace shows the 3 fields used to grant the high elf its 1 1st-level wizard spell, you can modify the search string to get 1st level wizard rituals like this:
sClass.cHelpWiz & sLevel.0 & Helper.RitualSpel

But to get the spells page to lock down the spell as a ritual only you would need a script to search for your racial spells and add (ritual only) to the spell's livename and shortname.

If you're adding this as a background ability, you would have to go the route of copying the logic and configurable from Ritual Caster though.

Perfect! Seems all I needed was a few fields from High elf to do what I needed! Thanks alot DG!

Edit: These fields are what helped me for anyone else who may need them.
Field:rSpExLst Value: (Expression)
Field:rSpExLstNm Value: (Text)
Field:rSpExAllw Value: (Number)