Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Authoring Kit (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   New Tab Pathfinder iPad help... (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57111)

ShadowChemosh November 27th, 2016 04:02 PM

New Tab Pathfinder iPad help...

3 Attachment(s)
First no big hurry on this question. I have it "mostly" working enough for now but would like to know how to fix in the future.

I have created a new tab using Panel, Templates and Portals for my Pathfinder house rules game. I got it all to work and look very nice on the desktop software. I most likely using outdated ways of scripting but its what I found available to copy from. :)

The big problem is how it displays on the iPad. It "works" but it looks bad.

Here is what it looks like on my desktop:
Attachment 4851

Here is how it looks on the iPad:
Attachment 4854

My question is two fold:
1) Is the issues on the iPad because I used outdated UI scripting? If so where do I find "current" methods with examples?

2) I think I read before that the UI stuff for the iPad has to be done in a unique way? If so any examples of this in use?

I have attached the .dat file to this post if you want to see the XML/scripts.

Mathias November 27th, 2016 08:19 PM

I haven't seen prechild or postchild in forever - how far back did you go to find those? Those were phased out before I joined the company, back in '07.

I recommend looking through the skeleton files or savage worlds, to see the more modern portal arrangement styles.

Visual scripts usually do need specific handling for tablets - there are differences in some of the details of how things are sized and how they're arranged. Here's an example, from the attribute position script from the basics tab:

Code:

<position><![CDATA[
      ~ Set up our height
      var incrgapl as number
      var incrgapr as number
      if (state.istablet = 0) then
        height = portal[aUser].height + 6
        incrgapl = 6
        incrgapr = 6
      else
        height = 55
        incrgapl = 35
        incrgapr = 5
        endif

~if we need to show our special details label, add some extra height for
      ~it
        portal[details].visible = 0
      elseif (herofield[tAttPoints].value + hero.tagis[Dependant.SocChar] = 0) then
        portal[details].visible = 0
        endif
      if (portal[details].visible <> 0) then
        height += 10
        endif

doneif (issizing <> 0)

~we have more space to use on the tablet
        portal[aTitle].width = 65
      else
        portal[aTitle].width = 90
        endif

ShadowChemosh November 28th, 2016 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathias (Post 238842)
I haven't seen prechild or postchild in forever - how far back did you go to find those? Those were phased out before I joined the company, back in '07.

Yeah I mimicked some stuff I saw in the d20 files. Its very confusing when trying to learn cause "some" stuff in d20 is modern and lots of it uses deprecated logic. :(

Because I am still struggling with the UI stuff it makes it very hard to figure out which is a "good" script to take vs a "bad" script. :p

Quote:

I recommend looking through the skeleton files or savage worlds, to see the more modern portal arrangement styles.

Thanks. Probably would have been a better place to start from....

Quote:

Visual scripts usually do need specific handling for tablets - there are differences in some of the details of how things are sized and how they're arranged. Here's an example, from the attribute position script from the basics tab:

Thanks. Will take a look at your sample script as soon as I can.

A new question is what is an easy way to "test" these changes? I mean on the desktop I did like 500 CTRL-R with trial and error while learning. Is there an easy way to display in tablet mode? I tried the "develop" menu where it says you can change the "interface" to tablet but I get an error saying "tablet mode not supported for this game system". Do I really need to create a .hl file and send to the iPad to test changes?