Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Online Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Server access (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=62796)

JesterOC June 13th, 2019 06:22 AM

Server access

Question: I see were it is mentioned that we get 180 days of server access for free. But I can't locate a price of server access after that? Anyone got the scoop?

One more quick thing, there is an option to link my classic account to this account...what is the benefit for doing so?

bruuuuuu June 13th, 2019 06:41 AM

The ongoing subscription rate is low (about $2 per month), but Lone Wolf aren't yet charging for server access, as they consider the software not-yet-ready-for-prime-time, so server access is on the house, at this point.

TheMaskedFerret June 13th, 2019 12:03 PM

Link yo HLC does nothing at this time, really.

BJ June 13th, 2019 05:44 PM

Subscriptions will be available for purchase soon after the Campaign Theater launch at months end. As previously advertised, the price for an annual subscription is just $24.99.

I've uploaded the preview video to youtube for our non social media users.

https://youtu.be/k780TeLW8Dc

As for the linking, it doesn't do much now. But when we bring over systems that already exist in Classic to the Online version it will allow you to mirror your purchases so you don't have to buy them twice.

JesterOC June 14th, 2019 11:59 AM

So if I order now, does the clock start August 1st? Or now. I really have no chance to be playing the game before the true rules come out, but I wouldn't mind paying early if there is no early purchase penalty.

JesterOC June 16th, 2019 07:30 AM

After rereading BJ's reply it seems that the at the end of June they will release a new feature that will signify that the developers consider the service complete enough to begin letting the clocks run out on the free 180 days of server time.

From that I would assume that would mean that if I purchased HLO now, approximately 45 of my 180 free days of use would have expired before the official PF2 release.

Ualaa June 17th, 2019 04:56 AM

The previously mentioned linking feature, where my VTT of choice (d20Pro, in my case, which has historically made an effort to be compatible with Hero Lab, and vice versa) can read the online portfolio URL...

If that feature gets implemented, and Hero Lab online supports Pathfinder Classic, with third party addons (Community Package for Psionics/Path of War, and Spheres of Might/Power), our group would be all over that.

I love that they said one could enable a group buff once, and have it apply to everyone in the group.
In classic, I need to add an adjustment to each character in the portfolio, certainly doable but clunky.

We use the VTT as a pretty image of whatever (as exported from Hero Lab, with all the Bestiary's bought and using their image), plus hopefully the open source art that a given player has found/chosen for their character.
The VTT is more or less the battle map (that I made in DD3+ (part of Campaign Cartographer 3+), the monster or player art, and the relative hit point levels.

At this point, all the combat stats, character build and such are run from Hero Lab classic, as the system is nicely robust and everything stacks correctly.
If everything would stack correctly via Hero Lab Online, and the VTT could read the character link (portfolio link/whatever) in real time...

That would rock immensely.

The Senator June 23rd, 2019 06:30 AM

Does the annual subscription include the content or are the content packages sold separately?

Farling June 23rd, 2019 08:35 AM

If you don't already have the package (e.g. by owning HeroLab Classic), then there is a one-off payment for each package.

The Senator June 23rd, 2019 04:56 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't phrase my question clearly.
After I purchase HLO, does the monthly subscription include the content data or do I have to buy that separately?

charlieluce June 23rd, 2019 05:27 PM

As described by Lone Wolf, the subscription fee ($24.99/year) is meant to cover the cost of running the servers; the data content would be purchased separately just at it is in Classic.

thaX June 23rd, 2019 08:02 PM

The content you are buying is the core system, like Starfinder or PF2, which will use the HeroLab Online engine to make your character. One can not actually buy HLO, only access to the server that contains the program, otherwise called an App, to access the information for the system you purchased.

I also believe you need to keep buying the licenses for additional content as before. (Hopefully at a discounted price from what Classic price points are)

This is a user of Classic answering with the information I have gleaned from trying the HLO web portal and the discussions with friends while looking at information here on the web site and on the forums.

Farling June 23rd, 2019 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Senator (Post 279871)
After I purchase HLO, does the monthly subscription include the content data or do I have to buy that separately?

There is a one-off payment to add each new package to your subscription.

The subscription charge remains the same regardless of how many packages you've added to your account.

Lj Stephens June 24th, 2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Senator (Post 279871)

The $2 per month fee allows you to use our service from all major web browsers on any device.
Future data packages will still need to be purchased, but only once, then they are unlocked forever.

msbranin June 24th, 2019 01:41 PM

So ... buy the program that can only be used online... buy to core for the game you want to play... buy the countless addons for the core that you bought... then pay monthly fee... to be ble to access all the content you have already purchased...

Farling June 24th, 2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msbranin (Post 279903)
So ... buy the program that can only be used online... buy to core for the game you want to play... buy the countless addons for the core that you bought... then pay monthly fee... to be ble to access all the content you have already purchased...

Yes.
The only difference from Herolab Classic is the last bit.

Maidhc O Casain June 24th, 2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msbranin (Post 279903)

You say this like it's unreasonable. Cloud storage and servers cost $$. Man-hours for data entry cost $$. And LW is a company, formed for the purpose of making it's founders/owners $$.

So yeah - I pay LW to do the programming and data entry to make my indulgence in my hobby as a player and as a GM easier. And yeah, I pay LW the price of a cup of coffee per month to maintain their servers and online access.

And here's the best part... If I don't like paying LW to do this programming and data entry, and if I don't like paying them to maintain their servers, all for the express purposes of making it easier to participate in my hobby and of fulfilling the purpose of the company's existence (to make them and their employee's $$), all I have to do is not purchase the product!

C'mon! LoneWolf is a business! Businesses make $$ for their owners so that their owners can pay their mortgages, buy groceries, etc. and so that they can pay their employees so their employees can do those same things. And it's a luxury business! As end users, our lives don't depend on our ability to afford this luxury service - we buy it if it's worth the $$ to us. If it's not, we don't buy it, and we do all the "work" of tracking our game stuff for ourselves.

But please, for the love of Pete, stop bashing LoneWolf for trying to make a profit off of their hard work!

magpi June 25th, 2019 05:54 AM

@ Maidhc O Casain, great response! Tabletop players vote with their dollars. For me, HLO is the best solution that I have found so far and worth the price point. I am a lazy GM, I would much rather pay a relatively small amount of $ for having it all just work. Once the Campaign Theater comes out at end of month, I think it's going to be fantastic!

msbranin June 25th, 2019 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidhc O Casain (Post 279907)
You say this like it's unreasonable. Cloud storage and servers cost $$. Man-hours for data entry cost $$. And LW is a company, formed for the purpose of making it's founders/owners $$.

So yeah - I pay LW to do the programming and data entry to make my indulgence in my hobby as a player and as a GM easier. And yeah, I pay LW the price of a cup of coffee per month to maintain their servers and online access.

And here's the best part... If I don't like paying LW to do this programming and data entry, and if I don't like paying them to maintain their servers, all for the express purposes of making it easier to participate in my hobby and of fulfilling the purpose of the company's existence (to make them and their employee's $$), all I have to do is not purchase the product!

C'mon! LoneWolf is a business! Businesses make $$ for their owners so that their owners can pay their mortgages, buy groceries, etc. and so that they can pay their employees so their employees can do those same things. And it's a luxury business! As end users, our lives don't depend on our ability to afford this luxury service - we buy it if it's worth the $$ to us. If it's not, we don't buy it, and we do all the "work" of tracking our game stuff for ourselves.

But please, for the love of Pete, stop bashing LoneWolf for trying to make a profit off of their hard work!

For you it might be a great value. For me I have 4 people in my house that have a copy that I have bought, Thats 4 programs, 4 starfinder cores 4 x all the addons and now They want another 100 a year to keep those 4 copies functioning.

Starfinder core 34.95 X 4 = 139.8
Armory 12.95 x 4 = 51.80
alien Archive 12.95 x 4 = 51.80
Alien Archive 2 12.95 x 4 = 51.80
Pact Worlds 12.95 x 4 = 51.80
Dead Suns 12.95 x 4 = 51.80

total 398.80

Cost to use the program that I have spent all this money on when this subscription goes live (2 more books coming out by then by the way) will be 100 a year on top of that 400 already spent. For some of you that might be chump change for me that's a significant portion of money. I wish you all the luck in the world with it. It is a good program... You are just pricing me out of the equation. As is you cant even just add the content in yourself because ..... "subscription". So Unless I want to just eat the 400, I have to subscribe just to keep my purchases functioning.. It's why I moved away from Roll 20 and on to Fantasy Grounds. I love the program, Just for me personally when subscription hits I will just eat the upfront cost I have spent and be done with hero labs....

Maidhc O Casain June 25th, 2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msbranin (Post 279922)
For you it might be a great value.

I honestly don't know yet whether or not it will be worthwhile for me. I have no plans to move to PF2, and already have pretty much everything I need for PF1 in HeroLab Classic. So if LW does, in fact, follow through and make PF1 available in HL Online for a one time "portage" fee, paying that 2 bucks a month for the subscription will be fine with me.

But even if it's not - even if it turns out they won't port the HLC stuff over and want me to buy every book all over again, I won't hold it against them. I won't buy it, mind you, but it's their product, their hard work and their livelihood, and they have a right to profit from it if they can.

ShadowChemosh June 25th, 2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

For me I have 4 people in my house that have a copy that I have bought

You maybe interested in THIS post by BJ that talks about the possibility of a Group License coming to HLO.

Dami June 25th, 2019 10:50 PM

Quote:

For you it might be a great value. For me I have 4 people in my house that have a copy that I have bought, Thats 4 programs, 4 starfinder cores 4 x all the addons and now They want another 100 a year to keep those 4 copies functioning.

If all 4 people are in the same house - why do you need 4 separate copies? If they really need their own copy of everything, why are YOU paying for them.
The way HLO was going to work was also known well in advance. You didn't have to buy any of the packages to play Starfinder. Plenty of people play with books and paper. If you aren't happy with the price to have a program that makes things easier for you, then simply don't pay it.

msbranin June 26th, 2019 05:41 AM

I will refer you to the post right before yours ... the very post right before yours. you had to go by that post to post your reply it explains why using 1 program for 4 people is bad. as to why I have 4 copies in my house. I had to pay for them them because I am the parent... that may blow your mind but some of us are working parents that have family members playing.. now if I were simply just creating characters and printing them out then I guess technically I could use 1 program and build all thier characters print them out and be done... but if I was going to do that might as well build them by hand because up until recently the printed character sheets were sub par.. you know it .. I know it.. hell the dev's even admitted it and updated it ... that's not a siam to the system... that's just fact... but using 1 program between everyone is the very thing that the previous post link said was wrong. Now... like I have said several times before... I understand the dev's need to make money... and they have made about 400 off my household... I have never complained before.. when they move to the subscription system this is when I have to say no more.. I will simply put hero labs aside... one person and program.. not an issue... 4 people and 4 programs per month ... huge issue.. I wish you and the devs great success... I love the program... I simply just cant keep up with the money bleed. Who knows maybe thier group plan that they announced in Feb will be an option ( who knows? They have not mentioned it again since. ) but ... I cant imagine a scenario where they let me add my 4 already existing accounts to a group plan and I won't buy yet another new account on top of the previous 4 just to lose all I have already purchased..

lequocanh July 3rd, 2019 12:02 AM

What are the specific content packages?

Lj Stephens July 3rd, 2019 07:32 AM

We fully intend to have a party license where multiple people can make use of the GM's books, so you might want to wait for that to come out.

charlieluce July 3rd, 2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lequocanh (Post 280062)
What are the specific content packages?

The Add-on packages for Hero Lab Online are listed here, and from the Home page you can see all the content for both Online and Classic.

AdmiralCrunchez July 31st, 2019 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lj Stephens (Post 280067)
We fully intend to have a party license where multiple people can make use of the GM's books, so you might want to wait for that to come out.

We are starting a PF2 campaign soonish. Is it worth waiting?
I know, ETAs are complicated and nobody wants to make promises that are likely to be broken...
But are we talking
  • 1-2 months
  • <1/2 year
  • <1 year
  • >1 year ?

Alternatively: Could I get a basic PF2-License now and somehow convert that into being a partymember-license later?

AdmiralCrunchez August 1st, 2019 01:54 AM

Quote:

Any info on the time frame? I unsertand that this might be nearly impossible to answer. But maybe an inofficial "guess": Is it more likely to come in the next months or will it be a year or more?

Thanks
(Sorry if I already asked this. I thought I submitted this several hours ago in this thread but I am unable to find it)

Alewis August 1st, 2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Great, so the whole group can be screwed when the servers are down. Like now.

avagdu August 1st, 2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

What if it’s not to use a GM’s books, but to share the books with a family? I would love for the entire family to be able to log in and create or update their characters simultaneously, since serially takes forever. That and the offline support are the two biggest things I’m waiting for. I have 5 licenses for HLC, and all 5 are being used; I want to be able to have 4 logins so my family can play using the “app” like they do for PF1.

The fact that this feature that seems to be highly requested is apparently not a high priority seems off to me. HLO has been out for almost 2 years now… we gotta get the low hanging fruit, folks.

Gwydion August 8th, 2019 05:43 AM

Subscription Timing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesterOC (Post 279670)
So if I order now, does the clock start August 1st? Or now. I really have no chance to be playing the game before the true rules come out, but I wouldn't mind paying early if there is no early purchase penalty.

Hey guys, I'm sorry if this was answered but I don't see it. I see in my account that the pathfinder playtest license I purchased included the 6 mo subscription to the server and it looks like it expires 8/14. I'm just confirming to see if that is true. I wasn't sure if the free server access included was supposed to start on 8/1 or when I originally purchased the pathfinder playtest license.

Not complaining either way I just was looking for some clarify as to whether my license will expire in a week. Thanks!