Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Mac Beta Users - last call for bugs before release (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=20580)

Colen April 16th, 2012 08:41 PM

Mac Beta Users - last call for bugs before release

Hello Mac Beta users,

We've just released v3.9g for the mac, which resolves the remaining issues in the beta, and adds some final features like full-screen support and improved multiline edit control handling. If you haven't grabbed it already, please do so and try it out.

If there are any bugs in the mac beta you've encountered that haven't been resolved yet, please post them here - we're hoping to make this the final beta before the official release.

(Note that we're interested in mac-specific bugs only in this thread - if there's a problem with a specific game system's data files, please report that in the forum for the game system as normal.)

Thanks for your help getting Hero Lab for the Mac ready to go!

UndeadDan April 17th, 2012 04:35 AM

The bug that I mentioned in this thread persists in this version (v3.9g).

UndeadDan April 17th, 2012 06:13 AM

I have tried removing all user and custom output files. I have repaired permissions. I have restarted multiple times.

None of these things has made a difference. The file browser for exporting to a new .por never opens.

Colen April 17th, 2012 07:23 AM

Thanks UndeadDan, I've replied in the thread with some debugging steps which will hopefully help me identify the problem.

Zuni Technomancer April 17th, 2012 11:10 AM

Printing my chars as PDF looks weird. The first headlines on each page looks weird. Sample [1] Printing the same char in windows looks as expected.

[1] https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bwi...2R3OGUyV2FfMUU

iMac
27*Zoll, Mitte*2010

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50b)

redward April 17th, 2012 01:44 PM

When using custom outputs, items with multiple words only seem to be passing on the first word (in the XML?). For example, instead of "Unarmed Strike", the sheets will all say "Unarmed." Instead of "Handy Haversack", you get "Handy."

This seems to be the case for all custom output.

Zuni Technomancer April 17th, 2012 02:52 PM

Addition:
I can't print the entire journal. Normally I use the journal to collect summaries of each game day. But when I print it under v3.9g the journal is incomplete. The second entry ends after the first page in the middle of a word. See sample on page two.

Journal

Portfolio

egg_green April 17th, 2012 04:46 PM

I am still seeing a crash when I open a portfolio while the previous portfolio is still opening. I emailed Colen the details; please let me know if you need any additional information.

Colen April 19th, 2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuni Technomancer (Post 80561)
Printing my chars as PDF looks weird. The first headlines on each page looks weird. Sample [1] Printing the same char in windows looks as expected.

[1] https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bwi...2R3OGUyV2FfMUU

iMac
27*Zoll, Mitte*2010

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50b)

Thanks, this bug should be fixed in the full release.

Colen April 19th, 2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuni Technomancer (Post 80579)
Addition:
I can't print the entire journal. Normally I use the journal to collect summaries of each game day. But when I print it under v3.9g the journal is incomplete. The second entry ends after the first page in the middle of a word. See sample on page two.

Journal

Portfolio

Unfortunately this is a limitation of Hero Lab - you can only print up to one page of text in a journal entry like this. :( This is something we're hoping to fix in the future.

Colen April 19th, 2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egg_green (Post 80584)
I am still seeing a crash when I open a portfolio while the previous portfolio is still opening. I emailed Colen the details; please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks for emailing me the details, this should be resolved in the full release.

Colen April 19th, 2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redward (Post 80571)
When using custom outputs, items with multiple words only seem to be passing on the first word (in the XML?). For example, instead of "Unarmed Strike", the sheets will all say "Unarmed." Instead of "Handy Haversack", you get "Handy."

This seems to be the case for all custom output.

I'm afraid I can't reproduce this; do you get this problem if you generate custom output for a blank character (no changes made after File -> New)? Which custom output type are you using for it?

Zuni Technomancer April 19th, 2012 10:55 AM

Just looked at my SR-Chars. After printing the PDF I noticed a strange green background around the dice pics. The green background is only visible when zooming above 100% zooming level. Also it is only visible in adobe acrobat, in apples preview all shows fine.

I don't know if it is really an HeroLab issue and not just an different behavior in the rendering engine acrobat/preview in combination with the dice pic (gif? perhaps green as the transparent color?)

Colen April 19th, 2012 11:32 AM

Yeah, it looks like Acrobat isn't handling transparent bitmaps properly when zoomed. :( I think we can work around this in the Shadowrun files - this should be fixed in the next Shadowrun update. Thanks for the report!

redward April 20th, 2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colen (Post 80696)
I'm afraid I can't reproduce this; do you get this problem if you generate custom output for a blank character (no changes made after File -> New)? Which custom output type are you using for it?

I'm using both Armidale's (3.15) and AncientOne's (3.1) custom output. Looks like I'm not the only one:
http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....&postcount=304

Armidale's is also doing some weird formatting where text from the Personal/Background Details field has a carriage return after each word. Not sure if that's a Mac issue or an issue with the output.

Zuni Technomancer April 21st, 2012 11:14 AM

Thanks, the release has fixed the printing issue for me.

Enderrin April 23rd, 2012 10:15 AM

Truncated text in Statblock output..

When exporting a monster stat block using OUTPUT HERO STATBLOCK text can be truncated in multiple fields.

Example: RUST MONSTER rust ability

Rust (DC 15) (Su) A rust monster's antennae are a primary touch attack that causes any metal object they touch to swiftly rust and corrode. The object touched takes half its maximum hp in damage and gains the broken condition-a second hit destroys the item. A rust mon

Unseelie April 23rd, 2012 12:20 PM

Will Hero Lab be ready for Gatekeeper with Mac OS X Mountain Lion and have proper signing? I'd hate to have to lower the level of security on my machine just to run Hero Lab because it's unsigned.

Colen April 23rd, 2012 02:34 PM

We're concentrating on getting the mac versions of Hero Lab and Army Builder out right now - once that's accomplished, we'll look into the code signing stuff that will be added in Mountain Lion.

mallardduck May 12th, 2012 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by redward (Post 80786)
I'm using both Armidale's (3.15) and AncientOne's (3.1) custom output. Looks like I'm not the only one:
http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....&postcount=304

Armidale's is also doing some weird formatting where text from the Personal/Background Details field has a carriage return after each word. Not sure if that's a Mac issue or an issue with the output.

Still happens here. I've attached a portfolio with a single character in it. If you run this both on the Mac and in Windows, you get different output - sounds like a bug in the Mac code.

mallardduck May 12th, 2012 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colen (Post 80696)

Just posted a portfolio (above) that you can use to test this.

Couple of other thoughts:

Sheets generated from Windows do open properly on Mac browsers - it's a generation issue, not a browser version challenge.

Both custom sheets have the same issue, but the XML output looks ok (all three attached in a zip file - generated from the portfolio shared above).

In particular look at the Magic Item list on the 8a sheet.

Unfortunately, this bug makes the mac release essentially useless for me - feel free to email me if you want more info/details or if I can help with anything!

Thrantor May 14th, 2012 07:33 AM

Bug in MAC version of Hero Labs

Not sure this has been reported before. But the MAC version of hero labs doesn't work if you format the drive with a case sensitive filesystem.

On install, you create the LWD/product directory in the package but then when you go to read the directory you read LWD/Product. I have to create a sym link each time I upgrade my version of Hero Labs. Not bad and I know how to do it... but something that should be fixed.

Edit: And yes, I was a moron for formatting the drive case sensitive. :)

Colen May 17th, 2012 12:44 PM

Unfortunately we don't support running Hero Lab on case-sensitive file systems (on either windows or mac). I'll see if I can resolve this issue, but I can't promise that you won't run into other problems with other app functionality. :(

mallardduck May 23rd, 2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colen (Post 82955)
Unfortunately we don't support running Hero Lab on case-sensitive file systems (on either windows or mac). I'll see if I can resolve this issue, but I can't promise that you won't run into other problems with other app functionality. :(

Very few applications do support that - it breaks *tons* of things, so don't spend a lot of time on it :-)

mallardduck May 23rd, 2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrantor (Post 82706)
Not sure this has been reported before. But the MAC version of hero labs doesn't work if you format the drive with a case sensitive filesystem.

On install, you create the LWD/product directory in the package but then when you go to read the directory you read LWD/Product. I have to create a sym link each time I upgrade my version of Hero Labs. Not bad and I know how to do it... but something that should be fixed.

Edit: And yes, I was a moron for formatting the drive case sensitive. :)

I think Carbon copy cloner supports cloning from sensitive to insensitive - www.bombich.com - might be worth the effort to fix it.

mallardduck July 5th, 2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mallardduck (Post 82628)
Just posted a portfolio (above) that you can use to test this.

Couple of other thoughts:

Sheets generated from Windows do open properly on Mac browsers - it's a generation issue, not a browser version challenge.

Both custom sheets have the same issue, but the XML output looks ok (all three attached in a zip file - generated from the portfolio shared above).

In particular look at the Magic Item list on the 8a sheet.

Unfortunately, this bug makes the mac release essentially useless for me - feel free to email me if you want more info/details or if I can help with anything!

Still having this issue on every portfolio, even with all the updates. There's definitely something different in how the Mac version is generating the custom output.