Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Savage Worlds (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Edge with Autoadd not working in Advance (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=59011)

Paragon August 20th, 2017 09:38 AM

Edge with Autoadd not working in Advance

Okay, in the Broken Earth .user I've got a couple of edges that autoadd gear. They work properly at character creation, but not for an advance (the program says its auto-adding the items, but it doesn't actually do it.

Any idea why this is or how to fix it? If relevant, here's one of them below:

Code:

<thing id="edgAxeThr" name="Axe Thrower" description="When your character uses a throwing axe, the range increases  to  4/8/16.  Additionally  she  gains  three  free throwing axes.\n{b}Note:{/b} Only available to characters originating from the Axe Tribe." compset="Edge" summary="Increased throwing axe range 4/8/16" uniqueness="unique">
    <fieldval field="shortname" value="Axe Thrower"/>
    <usesource source="BrEarth"/>
    <tag group="User" tag="Activation" name="Activation" abbrev="Activation"/>
    <tag group="EdgeType" tag="Background"/>
    <tag group="MinRank" tag="0" name="Novice" abbrev="Novice"/>
    <autoadd thing="wpBEAxeTh" portal="arRange"></autoadd>
    <exprreq message="Throwing d6 required."><![CDATA[#traitfound[skThrowing] >= 3]]></exprreq>
    <exprreq message="Strength d6 required."><![CDATA[#trait[attrStr] >= 3]]></exprreq>
    </thing>

Topdecker August 21st, 2017 01:16 PM

Try...

<autoadd thing="wpBEAxeTh"</autoadd>

I will tell you, that once you get it working, you may not like it. The granted items currently cannot be discarded.

EDIT: Missed the bit where you said the problem was when it was added as an advance... More testing here.

This worked fine as an advancement edge:

<thing id="edgTSTgonz" name="Gonzo With the Gear" compset="Edge">
<tag group="EdgeType" tag="Background"/>
<tag group="MinRank" tag="0"/>
<autoadd thing="wpColtDrag"></autoadd>
</thing>

Paragon August 21st, 2017 02:04 PM

Huh. So the min-rank is the issue? Or the portal (I thought that was necessary)? What do you do if there is a rank pre-req?

And as far as I know, the "can't be discarded" is with bootstrapping, not autoadd. I certainly just tested it and it got rid of the battle axe that comes with its accompanying edge.

Topdecker August 21st, 2017 05:33 PM

I looked at it again and I was mistaken - the gear that I 'added' was already there (it wasn't removed when I added it to the portfolio earlier as a starting edge). Testing with a new portfolio and adding it as an advancement has the same results that you are experiencing. Apologies for the wasted time :(

Paragon August 22nd, 2017 08:04 AM

You can't possibly be wasting more of my time than I have Zarlor and CC (in particular)'s over the time I've been here. :)

That said, if anyone can tell me why its doing this and (ideally) how to fix it, it'd be nice.

zarlor August 22nd, 2017 10:01 AM

I need to find some time to play with that, but I haven't touched the autoadd stuff since it's been available. Several of my data files could definitely use that, but no guarantees I could figure anything out on it, mind you. I don't know when i could get to it right now, though. Sorry. :(

Topdecker August 22nd, 2017 10:16 AM

Out of curiosity, why is there a distinct tab for Edges that bootstrap weapons or armor? It made me wonder if whatever caused that to be a thing might dovetail with this problem.

zarlor August 22nd, 2017 01:24 PM

Sort of. The autoadd gear is a very new thing, and for a while the only version of that we had was the Edges that Bootstrap Weapons method. It was relatively short-lived, however, as kind of an interim method. Now all Edges should be set as activateable and that method, somehow, has provided us with the ability to autoadd gear. Don't ask me the specifics of that, though, that's stuff CC had to work on and I think a lot of it had to do with prep work to the underlying code that he needed for the Interface Zero 2.0 file.

All I know is that currently that tab is a leftover that, as of the last code update, we no longer should be using as it is being deprecated. It may go away completely in the future.

Topdecker August 22nd, 2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarlor (Post 254586)
All I know is that currently that tab is a leftover that, as of the last code update, we no longer should be using as it is being deprecated. It may go away completely in the future.

That is the sort of thing that I was hoping to hear, thanks!

CapedCrusader August 23rd, 2017 05:39 PM

Precisely correct, Z...
That was a temporary work-around for the Edges with Bootstrapped Equipment issue.