Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Herolab Statblocks missing a ton of Information. (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=64248)

Cid April 25th, 2020 06:37 AM

Herolab Statblocks missing a ton of Information.

Click here and go to the fourth post.

No special abilities on the Paladin, and the Wizard is about as bare-bones as is possible. That's what the Statblocks look like in Herolab, too.

Latest version of Herolab, latest version of Realmworks. D&D 5e system.

Is there a setting i'm missing, or will it just not output statblocks for 5e?

dungeonguru April 25th, 2020 08:51 AM

The statblock output has never given the full information on any PC for as long as I can remember.

I think the issue is that the statblock format was primarily intended for NPCs and monsters and LoneWolf implemented it to only print out RACIAL specials and never CLASS specials.

That's why if you look at the NPC humanoids like Abjurer, Arcane Archer, Blackguard, etc., in the editor you'll see that they don't actually have any CLASS abilities, just RACIAL abilities that are bootstrapped to the base monster "thing." This includes the spellcasting block.

I know people have put in tickets in the past asking for the Class abilities to show up in statblock format but I've never seen a reply that they are in the works. I know this firsthand because I remember opening a ticket to add a spellcasting block to PC output and never got anything beyond the "we got it" reply.

I came to the conclusion that it's not a priority to extend the statblock output to include class information for the 5e system.

Cid April 26th, 2020 10:34 PM

Well, that sucks. Back to the drawing board...

Cid April 26th, 2020 10:35 PM

I can maybe just post the PDF's of the entire Character sheet... Or just use office...

Thinking, thinking, thinking...

Duggan April 27th, 2020 03:47 AM

You can also use the XML, either as a custom output in the program, or by using a scripting language to unzip the portfolio and read the XML. Not much help Realm Works, I know.

RavenX May 5th, 2020 08:18 PM

To be honest that was likely the original intent, but since they added sidekicks to 5e which are statblocks you add class levels to the format for statblocks is still convenient to have. Fortunately 5e is simple enough I just hand write most of the stuff as I go along.

Fenris447 May 6th, 2020 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenX (Post 288361)
since they added sidekicks to 5e which are statblocks you add class levels to the format for statblocks is still convenient to have.

When I programmed the sidekicks into the community pack, I realized their class features weren't showing up in their statblocks. I had to go into each ability and tweak them to show up. If I recall correctly, I had to designate whether they were Special, Action, etc., much like we do when making monster abilities.

I did it because I usually output the sidekicks as stat blocks and hand them to my players as such, instead of full character sheets. So this is doable. But it would require changes to the SRD content by LWD. And with the pushback I've received on some quality of life changes I requested, I don't think it'll happen.

RavenX May 8th, 2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenris447 (Post 288363)
When I programmed the sidekicks into the community pack, I realized their class features weren't showing up in their statblocks. I had to go into each ability and tweak them to show up. If I recall correctly, I had to designate whether they were Special, Action, etc., much like we do when making monster abilities.

I did it because I usually output the sidekicks as stat blocks and hand them to my players as such, instead of full character sheets. So this is doable. But it would require changes to the SRD content by LWD. And with the pushback I've received on some quality of life changes I requested, I don't think it'll happen.

SRD content is open game license material. Basically they can't just add all the mechanics to the data files. If its not in the SRD it crosses into copyright infringement. The pushback comes for a reason. They're not the official licensed character builder of WotC. So you can't expect them to go beyond the parameters of the open game licensing. And WotC isn't giving out licensing rights to a character builder while they are selling Beyond subscriptions to their own.

This is why I coded my own 5e file. It's not done or perfect but its come far on its own and has the content I need.

RavenX May 8th, 2020 09:34 PM

This is how my statblocks currently print, and this is a player character:

Name: Tom Nook
Race: Bugbear
Class: Rogue 1
Medium Humanoid, Chaotic Neutral
Armor Class: 14 (Leather Armor)
Hit Points: 9 (1d8+1)
Speed: 30 ft.
Attributes: Strength 16 (+3), Dexterity 16 (+3), Constitution 13 (+1), Intelligence 8 (-1), Wisdom 10 (+0), Charisma 12 (+1)
Saves: Dexterity +5, Intelligence +1
Skills: Acrobatics +5, Athletics +5, Deception +3, Intimidation +3, Investigation +1, Sleight of Hand +5, Stealth +7
Tools: Alchemist's Supplies (+2), Disguise Kit (+2), Poisoner's Kit (+2), Thieves' Tools (+4)
Senses: Darkvision (60 Feet), passive Perception 10
Languages: Common, Goblin, Thieves' Cant
Challenge: -none-

Sneak Attack (+1d6). Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foes distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or ranged weapon.

You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

The amount of extra damage increases as you gain levels in this class, as shown in the Sneak Attack column of the Rogue table.
Surprise Attack (1/combat). If you surprise a creature and hit it with an attack on your first turn in combat, the attack deals an extra 2d6 damage to it. You can use this trait only once per combat.

Actions
Unarmed Strike. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to-hit, Reach: 10 ft., one target. Hit: 4 bludgeoning damage.

Bonus Actions
-none-

Reactions

-none-

Equipment
-none-

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at https://www.wolflair.com
TBD

Fenris447 May 11th, 2020 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenX (Post 288421)
SRD content is open game license material. Basically they can't just add all the mechanics to the data files. If its not in the SRD it crosses into copyright infringement. The pushback comes for a reason. They're not the official licensed character builder of WotC. So you can't expect them to go beyond the parameters of the open game licensing. And WotC isn't giving out licensing rights to a character builder while they are selling Beyond subscriptions to their own.

This is why I coded my own 5e file. It's not done or perfect but its come far on its own and has the content I need.

I understand where they're coming from, but I've looked through older posts from them where they're willing to walk the line a bit more in the past than now.

On the one hand, they won't do anything to help us create the Artificer. It's a new type of Half-Caster, and they won't do any backend work to help us get it in. That makes sense. The Artificer isn't SRD content and they have no obligation to do it.

On the other hand, there's a bug with bootstrapping spells to a character that recharge on a short rest. The Tiefling has spells bootstrapped that recharge perfectly fine on a long rest. When you do the exact same thing but set it to recharge on a short rest, the spells don't reset on a short rest. This is a bug. But because there are no SRD races that have spells that recharge on a short rest, LWD won't fix the bug. That's where saying "we can't because SRD" becomes a little more excuse, a little less legal requirement.

Here's a for instance. The SRD doesn't have any monsters with a CR>30, but a developer was fine making a change that would allow for a user to bump it up.