Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   64-bit version for Mac? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60527)

LazarX April 22nd, 2018 08:16 AM

Basically to you Mac users,... it's time to set up Boot Camp if you want to do anything gaming wise on your machines. Although maybe the Ipad experience might contravene my thought on tis.

LazarX April 22nd, 2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toblakai (Post 265583)
I have done a couple of 32bit to 64bit ports. I haven't done a Mac port before, just Linux and Windows. The biggest issue is the libraries. RW hasn't moved to 64bit even though it really needs it because they can't get 64bit version of one of the GUI libraries they use.

The most problematic part is finding code that expects 32bit ints and now has 64bits and still works except in some edge cases.

Didn't you folks port the Ipad software to 64 bit? There isn't that much difference between IOS and what MacOS is becoming.

Gilfaroth May 10th, 2018 10:01 AM

64-bit version for Mac?

FYI, all: I emailed LWD support about a 64-bit Mac HL update and got the following response:

Quote:

Our dev team responsible for version changes is aware of the warning message and upcoming 64-bit requirement for the OS. You will be fine to ignore the message and keep running Hero Lab Classic in the meantime, but we are planning to update the application to x64 in that OS environment so you have no need to worry.

Apple hasn't announced when macOS will be 64-bit only. With Apple is requiring 64-bit for all Mac App Store submissions, we’re definitely getting closer, and we’re guessing the switch over to mandatory enforcement to occur in or after 2020.
Long story short, we Mac folks should be okay :) .

Tekwych May 10th, 2018 04:31 PM

The announcement from Apple should be part of the Keynote at WWDC 2018 on June 4

octimus June 12th, 2018 09:21 PM

It'd be great to hear from LWD staff what the future plan is. I run Hero Lab on a Mac, as I'm sure many others do. Mojave is the last version of macOS that'll support 32-bit, which means they have until the release of whatever comes after Mojave to update the app (September 2019). I don't know how much they use OpenGL, but that's going to go away in the same timeframe.

Farling June 12th, 2018 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octimus (Post 267233)
I don't know how much they use OpenGL, but that's going to go away in the same timeframe.

HL wouldn't be using OpenGL since HL doesn't have any 3D graphics going on.

However a lot of games use it, so expect to see a lot less PC games also on Mac since developers won't be willing to pay the extra cost to re-write it for a niche graphics library.

DaveM July 9th, 2018 09:45 AM

Hero Lab Mac 64-bit plans

I just wanted to let everyone know our current plans for the Mac version. We absolutely plan on continuing support for the Mac, however porting to 64-bit may take a while. We have tested Hero Lab with the latest beta of OSX and while it does still give a warning that the app is "not optimized for your system", it does still run correctly. We realize that Apple is trying to drop support for 32-bit applications and want to update the app as soon as possible, however this is a non-trivial task and it may be a while yet before we actually release a 64-bit version.

Tekwych July 9th, 2018 07:32 PM

The Apple roadmap is hard cut off fall 2020 with a chance to move forward to fall 2019 depending on discussion at WWDC 2019

benuker September 20th, 2018 08:00 PM

Mojave release is approaching.
We need an OFFICIAL RESPONSE to this thread, thank you.
Lone Wolf Development, please tell us!!!!!!

Parody September 20th, 2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benuker (Post 270663)
Mojave release is approaching.
We need an OFFICIAL RESPONSE to this thread, thank you.

You got one, two posts above yours:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveM (Post 267804)
We absolutely plan on continuing support for the Mac, however porting to 64-bit may take a while.

Mac OS X 10.14 (Mojave) will still run 32-bit applications, so they have time.