Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   A little help with building a class (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=64124)

Asandir March 30th, 2020 04:48 PM

A little help with building a class

Hi All,

After a long hiatus with doing any configuration in HeroLab, I am picking back up and starting to work on a new DM's Guild product, the Shadowcaster. It is Ari Marmell's 5E version of the 3.5 Shadowcaster from Tome of Magic.

I've starting doing some of the building of the class in HeroLab but ran into a question that I need help with. The class is built on the bones of the Warlock and like the Warlock, uses Spell Slots. I've been poking at the Warlock and at the configuration and I can't see anyway to make it generate spell slots.

Any help or a push in the right direction would be appreciated.

And this is probably the first of several questions that I am going to have as I attempt to build this.

Thanks.

Fenris447 March 30th, 2020 08:39 PM

What do you mean by "generate" spell slots? The warlock's spell slots are controlled through the "Spellcasting Progression" field. The Warlock is a special type, "WarlocCast," which tells Hero Lab to follow their weird limited slots system. Other options in that field are FullCaster (Wizard, Sorcerer, Druid, etc.), HalfCaster (Paladin, Ranger), and 3rdCaster (Arcane Trickster, Eldritch Knight).

Hero Lab doesn't have any way to predefine when a class gets how many spell slots. You have to pick from those types.

Asandir March 31st, 2020 04:28 AM

Let me rephrase the question then.

I have the class and class level items added. I have gone to the Spell Casting Details section and picked the following

Magic Type - Arcane
SpellCast Attr - Intelligence
SpellCast Prog - WarlocCast

Spellcaster type - I have tried all combinations here including None and saved and Test Now and then reloaded the data files and there is no place on the character pages that shows the spell slots for the Shadowcaster, like it shows for the Warlock.

The question better phrased would be, what else am I missing in my setup on the class that is preventing the Spell Slot config from showing on the character?

Fenris447 March 31st, 2020 06:33 AM

Could you post the code for the class? Just the Class and Class Helper should suffice, or the whole .user.

Asandir March 31st, 2020 07:55 AM

Out on Google Drive

https://drive.google.com/open?id=101...wcTjw87DTeChmM

dungeonguru March 31st, 2020 01:29 PM

It appears you removed the eval scripts on the class helper when you copied or created this class from scratch...

On the warlock base class are two scripts.
The first, running at Levels/6000 tells the class how to handle multiclassing:
Code:

~ Don't reduce our capabilities for multiclassing if this is the first
      ~ class we have taken.
      doneif (tagis[Helper.FirstLevel] <> 0)

~ Multiclass warlocks lose all skills, and all save proficiencies
      perform delete[ProfSave.?]
      field[cSkillMax].value -= 2

This script also has further timing restrictions:
After Scripts: Declare First Level
Before Scripts: Class Helper forwards Proficiency Tags
Weapon and Armor group proficiencies forwarded to hero

The second script handles the caster level and runs at Post-Levels/15000:
Code:

var castlev as number
      castlev = field[cTotalLev].value
      call WarlocCast

It is probably this second script that is causing spellcasting slots to not get calculated.

Asandir March 31st, 2020 01:44 PM

created from scratch and was having trouble locating file that contains warlock. thank you for your help.

dungeonguru March 31st, 2020 03:22 PM

No problem - there is no file with warlock in it that you can browse to. The base classes are "hidden" but you can always do a New (Copy) of any thing and then delete it after you pick through it.

Asandir April 1st, 2020 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dungeonguru (Post 287474)
No problem - there is no file with warlock in it that you can browse to. The base classes are "hidden" but you can always do a New (Copy) of any thing and then delete it after you pick through it.

I had forgotten about that. My HeroLab content creation skills are very, very rusty! Obviously. Although my coding skills for this was never very good to begin with. Adding the base content was pretty easy, the coding to get it to work correctly was never my forte.

Thanks again.