Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   An Update from Rob (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=63258)

BubbaDave October 7th, 2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teresa (Post 282979)
Although I am sad, I still love what RW can do. I am not a GM - I use RW for wordbuilding related to writing. I've also tried World Anvil but RW is still better for what I want: to develop my own notes. WA seems to be, as somebody said before, too focused on looks. Perhaps it'll get better in the future.

I also hope that RW will be able to be developed in the future. I'm not holding my breath, though; neither will I be surprised if it never happens. Still, it doesn't hurt to be hopeful in the backburner.

I use a combination of RW with OneNote. I think this combination is breathtaking for world building. RW always felt clunky for in-game use especially considering both the slowness of relying on a hard drive and sometime spotty wifi.

gloranphile October 7th, 2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaDave (Post 282986)
I use a combination of RW with OneNote. I think this combination is breathtaking for world building. RW always felt clunky for in-game use especially considering both the slowness of relying on a hard drive and sometime spotty wifi.

Please share with the class how you manage the two in tandem. :) Lots of copy/pasting?

Farling October 7th, 2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

RW always felt clunky for in-game use especially considering both the slowness of relying on a hard drive and sometime spotty wifi.

Were you doing a lot of syncing during the game, for the player's benefit?

I only ever used Player View on a second screen - no need for wifi at all.

Teresa October 8th, 2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

I use a combination of RW with OneNote. I think this combination is breathtaking for world building.

Do you use them in tandem for worldbuilding, or for GMing/providing info to your players?

I'm not a player either, although I borrow from the rules to help me shape up my characters fights and similar. I just really enjoy worldbuilding in detail for my own background knowledge, and I'm always game to try new approaches and techniques.

Syrkres October 10th, 2019 07:19 AM

Guess I should of researched more...
Just purchased RW yesterday (mainly looking at videos - found forums after purchasing).

It still seems like a good product for organizing data. Would be great if they released the code to community (being a programmer myself).

Big question i have is IF (and that seems likely yes) the servers go down, can I still run the program locally? Or do they require the servers to boot/start?

Grey Mage October 10th, 2019 09:43 AM

You can start without a connection to the internet.

What you will NOT be able to do if the servers go away permanently is create new realms. Consequently several people are taking the precaution of creating a few 'blank' realms (just in case).

EightBitz October 10th, 2019 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrkres (Post 283050)
Guess I should of researched more...
Just purchased RW yesterday (mainly looking at videos - found forums after purchasing).

It still seems like a good product for organizing data. Would be great if they released the code to community (being a programmer myself).

Big question i have is IF (and that seems likely yes) the servers go down, can I still run the program locally? Or do they require the servers to boot/start?

It would probably be a good idea to indicate the status of the software on the purchase page. Otherwise, it's misleading advertising.

Syrkres October 10th, 2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EightBitz (Post 283059)
It would probably be a good idea to indicate the status of the software on the purchase page. Otherwise, it's misleading advertising.

Yes, though I do have a 60 day money back guarantee.

As mentioned it looks good, but I do see some limits which when I purchased figured would be on a wish list, but that is all it will ever be now.

As a programmer it would be nice to be able to get hands on code since they don't plan on supporting it anymore.

Teresa October 10th, 2019 11:20 AM

Regardless of what anyone feels, they explained earlier in this thread that the software is useful as it is (and I agree it works fine for what I want, though I miss calendars sorely) and then there's some money reason I don't recall.

I suggest checking if it really fits your style of working and then decide on the refund thing. I create excel calculators-generators and then import the information into RW to serve as a database.

EightBitz October 10th, 2019 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrkres (Post 283062)
Yes, though I do have a 60 day money back guarantee.

As mentioned it looks good, but I do see some limits which when I purchased figured would be on a wish list, but that is all it will ever be now.

As a programmer it would be nice to be able to get hands on code since they don't plan on supporting it anymore.

It wasn't my intention to speak for you, and I apologize if I came across with that presumption. I'm just saying that, in general, disclosure would show good faith.