Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Savage Worlds (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Savage Worlds Adventure Edition (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=61408)

einhager January 9th, 2021 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapedCrusader (Post 292984)
There are a whole raft of fixes waiting for approval and release. I believe those are on the list. Including removing that validation as invalid anymore under SWADE rules.

Cool. I'm not often here so I'm behind on update news.

tpkurilla February 14th, 2021 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by einhager (Post 292986)
Cool. I'm not often here so I'm behind on update news.

We have been waiting since at least August for the update to drop.

The SWADE Deadlands is dependent upon it, so we've been waiting for that as well.

Alas, LW appears to be so immersed in supporting both versions of Pathfinder, that SWADE just isn't getting any love.

charlieluce February 14th, 2021 01:28 PM

Perhaps the announcement of Savage Pathfinder will prove to be helpful in that regard!

techogre February 16th, 2021 03:48 AM

I hope so.

They just need to make it better that the slated support in savaged.us.

Shadowchaser March 21st, 2021 06:18 PM

Hey gang, haven't been here in a long while. The Pathfinder for Savage Worlds inspired me to take up Savage Worlds Adventure Edition. Decided to grab the data package for my copy of Hero Lab Classic, but I can't seem to figure out how to edit the traits for Races.

Is this not something you can edit/customize/create new races in character creation like you can in the SWADE rulebook? If not, I guess I'm stuck using Savaged.us for my campaign. I'd much prefer a non-online option for my gaming needs, though.

Thanks, sorry if this is the wrong area for this question.

CapedCrusader March 21st, 2021 09:51 PM

We can help, what do you want to do exactly? The Races can be modified to fit your campaign. Let me know what you want to do and I'll tell you how to do it.

Shadowchaser March 22nd, 2021 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapedCrusader (Post 294335)
We can help, what do you want to do exactly? The Races can be modified to fit your campaign. Let me know what you want to do and I'll tell you how to do it.

I want my players to be able to create and modify the races using the rules from the book (pages 12 to 21), and I want to be able to set the number of points a race can be built on (perhaps in the Configure Hero section?). For one campaign, I'm looking at letting my players build 3 or 4-point races, and for a Star Wars campaign I just want players to be able to make their own races in the character creation process so it isn't a huge burden on me.

Race is such a big step in the SWADE book, I would've figured it would have its own tab in the character creation process, but it's been relegated to a single option and I can't figure out how to add new races to the list. (Beyond clicking the one 'Show Races' option in the Configure Hero checklist, that is)

CapedCrusader March 22nd, 2021 09:18 AM

OK, this level of activity is in the Editor (Tools Menu). Generally, players are not allowed to edit Races. That's the GM's job, and that's why it's not a regular tab. Races are not edited often, just at the start of a campaign and then they are rarely touched again. So, no, there's not a player-friendly Race editor. Players don't generally get to define their own Races. Now, there's nothing stopping players from using the Editor...

There's not a limit set on how much a Race can have, but it does provide a running total.

Shadowchaser March 22nd, 2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapedCrusader (Post 294341)
OK, this level of activity is in the Editor (Tools Menu). Generally, players are not allowed to edit Races. That's the GM's job, and that's why it's not a regular tab. Races are not edited often, just at the start of a campaign and then they are rarely touched again. So, no, there's not a player-friendly Race editor. Players don't generally get to define their own Races. Now, there's nothing stopping players from using the Editor...

There's not a limit set on how much a Race can have, but it does provide a running total.

Not to be argumentative, but it's totally a player-facing rule in the book.

Under "Breaking the Mold" on page 17 of SWADE, the first sentence is: "The racial arcetypes presented here are iconic of their usual appearance in fantasy and science fiction, but *players and Game Masters* should feel free to break the tropes if they fit your particular setting." (Emphasis mine)
Further, on the next page, "Making Races" starts with: "Game Masters and players who want to make their own races (or cultural archetypes) can use the system below."

This rule is meant for both GMs and players to use. It shouldn't be locked away behind a GM-only function in the software.

Anyway, if the players don't have access to the editor, and I'd have to do all the work, this probably won't work for me as a tool. Which is a shame, because I'd much rather be able to save my files as portfolios and edit them over time rather than only be able to output them as PDFs from Savaged.us's website... but their system lets players easily create custom race packages.

CapedCrusader March 22nd, 2021 05:38 PM

It is not locked away. Players are completely free to use the Editor. Please pardon me if I gave you that impression.

Designing Races is by far most often the purview of the GM. There are very few games where players get to design their own Races. That being said, it's still something that's touched once at the start of the game and never used again. So having an active tab for it would mostly be a waste of space during a campaign. Races are rarely edited once a game starts. That's the reason it's in the Editor and not on the active tabs, not to hide it or make it unavailable.

The players are more than welcome to play around in the Editor all they want. There is nothing at all stopping them. The trick is coordinating it if someone edits their copy of the user file, it will then be different from all the other players. The Setting itself is rarely modified by the players. It works best if everyone is using the same file. If a player wants to add something, they can always create a separate user file that they can send out to the other players, thus not editing your original Setting file.

I said in my previous post that there was nothing stopping the players from using the Editor, I hope I've made it clearer.

Now, building Races can get interesting if it needs a new Racial Property that's not already covered, because that will need to be entered as well and then added to the Race with a bootstrap. And we can help you with that.

Shadowchaser March 23rd, 2021 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapedCrusader (Post 294349)
It is not locked away. Players are completely free to use the Editor. Please pardon me if I gave you that impression.

Designing Races is by far most often the purview of the GM. There are very few games where players get to design their own Races. That being said, it's still something that's touched once at the start of the game and never used again. So having an active tab for it would mostly be a waste of space during a campaign. Races are rarely edited once a game starts. That's the reason it's in the Editor and not on the active tabs, not to hide it or make it unavailable.

The players are more than welcome to play around in the Editor all they want. There is nothing at all stopping them. The trick is coordinating it if someone edits their copy of the user file, it will then be different from all the other players. The Setting itself is rarely modified by the players. It works best if everyone is using the same file. If a player wants to add something, they can always create a separate user file that they can send out to the other players, thus not editing your original Setting file.

I said in my previous post that there was nothing stopping the players from using the Editor, I hope I've made it clearer.

Now, building Races can get interesting if it needs a new Racial Property that's not already covered, because that will need to be entered as well and then added to the Race with a bootstrap. And we can help you with that.

Ah, okay. I haven't used the software in long enough that I couldn't remember if the editor were a special feature that had to be purchased separately. I thought I remembered it being so. There are a lot of things in Savage Worlds that change from character creation to advancements once you 'lock in' the base character, so I'm not sure that the racial thing is significantly different from the other rules (like skills, for example, are point-based in creation but advancement-based later). All that said, I'll have to try and sit down and see if I can figure out how to edit and add new races in so I can teach my players how to do it. Is there a good tutorial for this process you can point me to?

Thanks again for your input. I didn't mean to make it sound dismissive, I'm just racing the clock to get ready for a new campaign now that the Pathfinder for Savage Worlds rules are on the horizon and we want to be able to include all the cool heritage options in the extended Pathfinder lore, not just the ones in the core rules that'll be supported by the kickstarter rulebook.

CapedCrusader April 22nd, 2021 03:55 PM

Buckle Up!

CapedCrusader April 26th, 2021 03:45 PM

See what I meant?

TCArknight April 26th, 2021 06:01 PM

Yea! Looking forward to digging in. :)

Jobe00 July 19th, 2021 02:41 AM

I just noticed that both the Quick and Level-Headed Edges require the Hesitant Drawback for some reason. It should be you can't get either Edge if you have the Hesitant Drawback.

CapedCrusader July 19th, 2021 10:56 AM

Yeah, that's backwards. It's already been reported so it's on my list to deal with. Thanks!

Jobe00 July 20th, 2021 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapedCrusader (Post 295898)
Yeah, that's backwards. It's already been reported so it's on my list to deal with. Thanks!

Sorry. I just noticed it as I was about to run Deadlands, and I was building a Gunslinger.

EinherjarLucian January 1st, 2023 05:07 AM

Hi! My account settings show I have the SWADE Super Powers Companion unlocked, but none of the options in "Configure Hero" show an option for this (it has 1e and 2e), and I don't see any way to download it. Am I missing some step somewhere?

asvaldson January 26th, 2023 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EinherjarLucian (Post 300556)
Hi! My account settings show I have the SWADE Super Powers Companion unlocked, but none of the options in "Configure Hero" show an option for this (it has 1e and 2e), and I don't see any way to download it. Am I missing some step somewhere?

Hero Labs doesn't have the 3rd edition (SWADE) Super powers book available.

https://www.lonewolfdevel.com/Produc...flavor=Classic

That's the only Super Powers book, and it's only 1st and 2nd for older version of SW.

CapedCrusader January 26th, 2023 04:21 PM

I'm still working on finishing Pathfinder. That one's next. I'm currently putting the finishing touches on Magic Items for Pathfinder.

CapedCrusader January 26th, 2023 04:22 PM

The good part is that a lot of the work I'm doing for Pathfinder applies to the new Fantasy Companion.

TCArknight February 1st, 2023 02:40 PM

Any idea on if might be able to release the core SWADE fixes soon? I've got a couple of datasets that could use it. :)

CapedCrusader February 1st, 2023 09:45 PM

I'm currently working full-steam to finish Savage Pathfinder, and all the changes are together.
What's taking a little longer is that I compared the new SWADE Fantasy Companion, and saw how similar a lot of the changes are, so they won't be exclusive to Pathfinder. That means the changes for Pathfinder will have even deeper support.
The differences in how they handle magic items is what I'm doing now. I have all the items in, and I'm coding up the back ends for those items that need it.

CapedCrusader February 1st, 2023 09:46 PM

What do you need specifically, knight?

TCArknight February 2nd, 2023 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapedCrusader (Post 300805)
What do you need specifically, knight?

I'll have to dig into my notes to see what I was running into.

I know at the time I was working on the new Savage Rifts dataset, so probably something from that.

I can hold off, and get back to work on it knowing any fixes are coming. :)

Thank you very much! I know I and everyone else using HL for SW appreciate all you do!

asvaldson March 1st, 2023 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCArknight (Post 300808)
I'll have to dig into my notes to see what I was running into.

I know at the time I was working on the new Savage Rifts dataset, so probably something from that.

I can hold off, and get back to work on it knowing any fixes are coming. :)

Thank you very much! I know I and everyone else using HL for SW appreciate all you do!

That's for sure! I play using Fantasy Grounds, but I prefer to have my character in HL so I can track and make sure I've not over spent.

CapedCrusader March 1st, 2023 05:16 PM

The reason this is taking longer is that I took a look at the new SWADE update for the Fantasy Companion and realized how much they had re-used from Pathfinder. So I'm centralizing it a bit and making it a little more robust, since it will support everything going forward, not just Pathfinder. It was set up so all this was for Pathfinder exclusively. That forced some re-coding.

asvaldson March 3rd, 2023 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapedCrusader (Post 301010)
The reason this is taking longer is that I took a look at the new SWADE update for the Fantasy Companion and realized how much they had re-used from Pathfinder. So I'm centralizing it a bit and making it a little more robust, since it will support everything going forward, not just Pathfinder. It was set up so all this was for Pathfinder exclusively. That forced some re-coding.

I completely understand. I check back weekly, but I honestly don't expect anything for a few more months lol I JUST got my Pathfinder group to even be willing to LOOK at SW, so I got time lol.

Maidhc O Casain March 6th, 2023 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asvaldson (Post 301024)
I completely understand. I check back weekly, but I honestly don't expect anything for a few more months lol I JUST got my Pathfinder group to even be willing to LOOK at SW, so I got time lol.

I wish I could get MY Pathfinder group to try Savage Worlds...

Gumbytie July 24th, 2023 10:31 AM

I have been away for quite awhile, even from gaming, just recently got back into it. Looking over the forums here...so is this dead? Still coming?

I think there are even new Companion books out now for SWADE, so behind here for HeroLab Classic.

CapedCrusader July 25th, 2023 07:22 AM

No, not dead. Just dealing with my day job and fact that they used a lot of the new Pathfinder material for the new Fantasy Companion as well. I have everything done but the detailed stuff for magic items like scrolls and potions.

Gumbytie July 25th, 2023 07:36 AM

Glad to see it still moving along, Caped.

I tried out the Pathfinder SW with my old gaming group. Some stuff we liked but made it too much like Pathfinder. I wasn't pleased with so much of it moving over the new Fantasy Companion.

Good luck with the work. I am looking forward to some future update, so I can update all of my custom files :)

ConstantConnell August 31st, 2023 11:12 PM

When to inquire about the status of adding the Fantasy Companion & my post got eaten. LOL. Any updates on this? :)

CapedCrusader September 13th, 2023 07:05 AM

I'm working with the changes in the magic items, and finding a way to make it easier on players. The addition of the spell modifiers is a curve ball. I think I have a good solution, and I'm putting it together. And making sure it works for both Pathfinder and the new Fantasy Companion.

TCArknight September 13th, 2023 07:11 AM

CC: Thank you for all you're doing! Looking forward to seeing the end result. :)

CapedCrusader November 22nd, 2023 04:23 PM

October and November have been unfun. Missed automation deadlines are painful. So are 6-7 day work weeks. They tell me we're almost done working weekends.
Still making the new magic item system work for all those spell modifiers. What a pain.