Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Savage Worlds (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Linguist as Knowledge Skill (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=59052)

Gatlin August 26th, 2017 02:41 PM

Linguist as Knowledge Skill

How would you write the Linguist Edge so that it adds a bonus number of knowledge skills rather than languages?

I want languages to have a skill die associated, so I want the edge to add a bonus number of skill points.

Topdecker August 26th, 2017 06:17 PM

Knowledge skills are major pains in the backside.

When creating the edge, bootstrap each skKnow. Set a field with an ID of domDomain and a value of "Language1" - action is ASSIGN.

The create an Eval Script, Pre-traits, Priority 5000

Quote:

~This will offset the cost:
perform #resspent[resSkill,-,1,"Free Knowledge"]
~This will increase the Skill
foreach pick in hero where "thingid.skKnow"
if ( compare(lowercase(eachpick.field[domDomain].text),lowercase("Language1") ) = 0) then
eachpick.field[trtBonus].value += 2
endif
nexteach
I am pretty sure that this will create a KNOWLEDGE (Language1) skill at a d8.

zarlor August 27th, 2017 04:38 AM

It's also the 2nd example in the Common Code Examples thread stickied on this forum, in case you have other kinds of things like that you might want to see if you can find it there first, if that helps any.

Gatlin August 27th, 2017 05:01 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Is there a way to add a number of bonus knowledge skills based of the character's Smarts die? Unless I'm mistaken, the examples given will give a single skill for free or increase the die.

zarlor August 28th, 2017 05:30 AM

Well, you'd have to nest the add code in a for-loop that iterates on the Smarts die, but you'd also have to change the name (that "Language1" part in the example above) for each one you do. I'm not sure if you can nest a variable in quotes or not. I'd have to really do some playing around to see if I could figure out the code to use I just don't really have the time to do that, but maybe someone else here can figure it out better than I.

Topdecker August 28th, 2017 06:18 AM

Try SETTING ADJUST tab --> MULTIPLE LANGUAGES? checkbox as a work around. I believe that it enables precisely what you are trying to accomplish.

zarlor August 28th, 2017 02:04 PM

No, that turns on the standard Multiple Languages setting, but NOT as Knowledge Skills. You could probably get the base code to wrap the knowledge skill code with by finding that in the source code files, though.

CapedCrusader August 28th, 2017 05:58 PM

The issue is that you can't add picks to the character like that. Each Knowledge Skill is a separate pick. It's either there or it isn't, you can't make it conditional.

Gatlin August 30th, 2017 06:48 PM

Hmm...is there a way to add a bonus number of skill points based of Smarts? That way you could just put a warning in that says you have to use the bonus points for languages, similar to the Elderly edge or the College Boy edge from Weird Wars.

Paragon August 31st, 2017 10:20 AM

You should be able to. I've added skill points, and done things based on Smarts, so there should be syntax to do both, but I'm too busy to figure it out right now.