Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Pathfinder RPG (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=7488)

dartnet March 20th, 2008 05:09 PM

Pathfinder RPG

Any plans to make a Datafile for this one?

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG

Mathias March 21st, 2008 12:16 AM

I'd also like to put in a vote for v3.6 (which is essentially what this is).

rob April 2nd, 2008 08:27 PM

Pathfinder RPG

At 06:09 PM 3/20/2008, you wrote:
Quote:

Any plans to make a Datafile for this one?

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG
Absolutely! We've received a verbal "yes" from Paizo and will be discussing this in more detail with them over the upcoming weeks.

egg_green May 12th, 2008 04:27 PM

I can't wait for this! Consider me sold!

JimGroves July 10th, 2008 07:26 AM

Re: Pathfinder RPG

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob
Absolutely! We've received a verbal "yes" from Paizo and will be discussing this in more detail with them over the upcoming weeks.

I would not expect that this dataset would be available until Summer 2009 when the final version of the rules are sent to the printer.

On the other hand, is there any chance of seeing a dataset on the Beta version which will be printed and sold this August.

If the answer is no, I won't be put off or anything, it seems a lot to hope for by my own standards (because the rules are likely to change from August 2008 to August 2009). However, it never hurts to ask.

rob July 10th, 2008 08:54 AM

Pathfinder RPG

Quoting JimmyOlsen <cainesinmyhead@gmail.com>:

> I would not expect that this dataset would be available until Summer
> 2009 when the final version of the rules are sent to the printer.
>
> On the other hand, is there any chance of seeing a dataset on the
> Beta version which will be printed and sold this August.

We want to get support for the Beta out by sometime in the Fall of
2008. Then there would be an update in Summer 2009 to reflect the
changes made during the Beta. That's the *plan*, though, and other
stuff could mess with the plan. So keep those fingers crossed. :-)

burner2501 August 5th, 2008 03:29 AM

That's awesome news!

hunter1828 September 4th, 2008 04:18 PM

That's great to hear! I bought Hero Lab specifically because I heard you were going to support PRPG.

Alzrius September 6th, 2008 06:32 PM

Ideally, this will also take into account the existing web enhancement, and the future web enhancements to be released, since they contain things that had to be cut from the Beta for space.

CLBeilby September 6th, 2008 07:23 PM

As an aside to this, I'd like to do, for personal use, a variant to the basic 3.5 datafiles designed for use with the Pathfinder Society Organized Play campaign (Essentially Living Pathfinder Chronicles.) However, I have some questions.

1) How do I set up a 20 point based point buy character creation method using the chart in the Pathfinder Beta and PSOP Campaign Guide?

2) How do I add a new field to character generation for Faction, with a pulldown menu for the five factions available in the campaign, and have this be available for validation?

Mathias September 6th, 2008 08:29 PM

I can't help with #1, but for #2, would it work to code a trait or an adjustment for each of the factions?

First, go to the User Tags field at the bottom, and add the PFFaction tag
Add an eval script (the timing doesn't really matter for this, so UserFirst, 100 will work) of:

perform hero.assign[User.PFFaction]

then, create a pre-requisite of:

if (tagcount[User.PFFaction] <= 1) then
@valid = 1
endif

And give that a descriptive error message.

That means that if more than one PFFaction tag shows up on the hero, each of the items with that pre-requisite will show up as an error. (This is a simple script that won't grey out the other faction items - I know there's a way to check whether an item has been added yet or not. If you want to try some more advanced programming, you can add a second part to the pre-req script that requires 0 PFFaction tags if the current item isn't added).

Cullyn October 16th, 2008 08:48 AM

Any updates on the status of the Pathfinder Beta dataset? I actually haven't purchased the d20 rules (I use M&M mostly) but would certainly do so when the Pathfinder Beta rules becomes available.

rob October 24th, 2008 04:34 AM

Pathfinder RPG

At 09:48 AM 10/16/2008, you wrote:
Quote:

Any updates on the status of the Pathfinder Beta dataset? I actually haven't purchased the d20 rules (I use M&M mostly) but would certainly do so when the Pathfinder Beta rules becomes available.
We just got the major M&M add-on released and our next priority for HL is the Authoring Kit. Once that is released, we'll be looking at the Pathfinder stuff in more detail.

egg_green November 4th, 2008 05:51 PM

Heck, I'd preorder a Pathfinder dataset if I could!

rob November 9th, 2008 05:37 PM

Pathfinder RPG

At 06:51 PM 11/4/2008, you wrote:
Quote:

Heck, I'd preorder a Pathfinder dataset if I could!
Unlike various other companies out there, we don't do pre-orders. The reason is simple. The realities of being a tiny company are such that we sometimes run into surprises that force us to make changes in our plans and/or simply delay getting stuff completed. If we take money for a pre-order, then one of two things happens when those surprises occur. Either we aren't able to make the adjustments we need or customers are left waiting for something they've actually paid for. Both options are bad IMHO.

Taking money from a customer establishes a formal contract and locks in expectations. While it would be nice to get some extra operating capital in place, failure to deliver on a contract of sale is something we aren't willing to risk. We've developed a very loyal customer base over the years by doing our best to deliver on what we promise, but we're not always successful. I don't enjoy the prospect of explaining to customers why we haven't completed something they paid for.

So keep that money warm for Pathfinder. We should have something ready at some point in the not-too-distant future. :-)

egg_green November 13th, 2008 05:05 PM

Fair enough; I understand your position. Just consider it a vote of confidence that you have such eager customers :)

Cyjack December 1st, 2008 02:45 PM

Im an owner and greatly appreciate your work on M&M. I would really love to see support for the Pathfinder Beta available as soon as possible also, as my group is abandoning 4E and moving to Pathfinder (DnD 3.75) instead.

I would think it would be a comparatively easy task next to a gargantuan effort like M&M, as it really only involves some minor changes to the standard d20 dataset , relatively speaking.

In any event, here's another sale when you're able :)

Cullyn December 3rd, 2008 05:03 AM

With the advent of the Authoring kit, are there plans still going forward to make an official Pathfinder dataset or are you going to rely on the community to make one. Mind you, either option is just fine and I know that making a Pathfinder dataset using the Beta rules is the first thing on my agenda once the Authoring Kit is released. :)

Barrowstone December 23rd, 2008 08:03 AM

I just wanted to express my interest in - and willingness to pay for - an official Pathfinder dataset!

hunter1828 January 21st, 2009 05:45 PM

Really looking forward to the Pathfinder RPG dataset when it's released.

Sannos January 27th, 2009 01:06 PM

I saw you press release in July 08 'the Pathfinder RPG will become available shortly after the release of the planned Beta edition, due out at GenCon Indy this August.'

I am also looking forward to PAthfinder RPG datadset. Do you have an ETA?

rob January 30th, 2009 12:41 PM

We were just discussing this yesterday and the plan is to have the Pathfinder RPG data files completed this summer. We're too small a company to spend our limited resources trying to hit a moving target while Paizo continues to refine the system during Beta. Once the system is finalized, we'll then get the data files completed. So our plan is to release the data files at the same basic time as when the finished product is released.

hunter1828 January 30th, 2009 12:54 PM

I can live with that. Thanks for the update!

Sannos February 16th, 2009 07:30 AM

Thank you for the update.

Cullyn February 18th, 2009 06:38 PM

Completely fair. I'm sure you'll get a data set purchase from me shortly after release. :)

Sannos June 4th, 2009 08:35 AM

Now that Pathfinder RPG has been sent to the printers...Is there an ETA for it's support?

hunter1828 June 5th, 2009 09:38 AM

This might answer your question:

http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....41&postcount=2

JimGroves June 28th, 2009 12:01 PM

Steven D. Russell of Rite Publishing (http://www.ritepublishing.com/home.html) has made it no secret that he was able to purchase a special advance copy of the PF RPG Core Rules from Paizo.. So Clinton Boomer could write a Patronage Project for Rite Publishing (http://www.ritepublishing.com/coliseummorpheuon.html) with the new core rules.. in advance of the 2009 GenCon release.

So, my question to Lone Wolf Development, is why aren't you calling up Paizo and asking if you can buy a copy of the Core Rules now.

I'm sure they'll want an NDA, because they don't want the rules leaked before the August 13th GenCon Release Date.. But you could be working behind the scenes right now in anticipation of that date..

Because it's not like Rite Publishing is that bigger a company that Lone Wolf Development. And you don't know, if you don't ask.

Qwilion June 29th, 2009 05:28 PM

Quoted from the Paizo Forum

Quote:

In order to qualify for early access, you'll need to meet the following criteria:

1. You must agree to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatibility License.

2. You must be an active publisher with print products currently available through Alliance Game Distributors and/or electronic products currently available through paizo.com.

3. You must agree to a Nondisclosure Agreement covering the Core Rulebook and the Bestiary.

(Paizo reserves the right to additionally qualify or disqualify parties at our discretion.)

The following companies have already been identified as meeting the first two criteria:

0one Games
DragonWing Games
Dreamscarred Press
Expeditious Retreat Press
Fat Dragon Games
Louis Porter Jr. Design
Necromancer Games
Open Design
Radiance House
Reality Deviant Publications
Rite Publishing
Sean K Reynolds Games
Tricky Owlbear Publishing
My guess is clause#2 "You must be an active publisher with print products currently available through Alliance Game Distributors and/or electronic products currently available through paizo.com."

Yes there was an NDA, the cost of the print copy and its shipping as well (Oh yeah and Boomer has that copy not me, and yes he signed an NDA).

And Rite Publishing is a micro publishing house doing only pdfs and print on demand, and it is not my day job. Everyone who works for us are free lancers. So its not hard at all to be bigger than Rite Publishing.

I would want to take a close look at the Licence to see if it allowed for data sets to use the Compatiblility Logo. (I am not a lawyer.)

JimGroves June 29th, 2009 09:39 PM

Steve,

First and foremost, there was no allegation of wrongdoing being leveled at you or Rite Publishing. You haven't stated specifically that you feel there was one.. yet you're explaning yourself. In detail. In your first post. Welcome to the boards.

Just in case (and to put my own mind at rest), nobody called foul on you or Paizo. It's simply a case of, "That's a good idea, why doesn't Lone Wolf Development explore that possibility too."

And there's nothing wrong with that, is there?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwilion (Post 30994)
Quoted from the Paizo Forum

My guess is clause#2 "You must be an active publisher with print products currently available through Alliance Game Distributors and/or electronic products currently available through paizo.com."

Well, that's good news then! Lone Wolf Development does actively have an electronic product available through Paizo.com

http://paizo.com/store/gameAids/soft...&source=search

Heck, somebody (not me) gave it a nice review.

Anyway, thank you for setting the story straight and finding the early criteria policy.

Speaking now to Lone Wolf,

All I'm saying is that is possible to obtain an advance copy. Lone Wolf could possibly meet the criteria, as there's nothing obviously precluding it.

As a Lone Wolf Customer and a Paizo customer, I'm interested in seeing support for the system as soon as possible. It might be that your current work schedule doesn't permit any development time during July and August. If that is the case, so be it. I'll just have to wait or explore whatever option is available.

However it doesn't hurt to point out the possibility, and ask you to consider it.

Qwilion June 29th, 2009 09:54 PM

Sorry I did not take your post that way, I just like to be clear,

I was really just happy someone knew who we were :)

What I was also pointing out is in my reading of the Pathfinder compatibility licence it does not allow for software (again I am not a lawyer).

Relevant section:

Quote:

.....to use the Compatibility Logo in printed books, electronic books, and freely available websites in connection with products that are compatible with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game......
They can use the OGL and provide the data sets but I don't think they qualify for the Logo and therefore cannot get an early copy (again not a lawyer and could be completely and utterly wrong.)

rob June 30th, 2009 11:50 AM

Hey guys,

We already have two copies of the Pathfinder RPG rulebook, and we've been working on the data files for a few weeks now. We waited until everything was finalized at Paizo so that we weren't trying to hit a moving target. Once everything was nailed down, we ordered the books and got to work. Our goal is to have Pathfinder data files completed in time for the game's official release at GenCon. It's going to be tight, but we think we can do it.

FYI, Paizo accepted our request for authorization quite happily, knowing exactly what we're working on and why we wanted the copies. So I don't envision any problems with us being able to utilize the logo. That being said, we're discussing a few minor items with Paizo now to officially clear up any possible issues that could arise.

JimGroves June 30th, 2009 02:21 PM

Steve, were cool! Glad there's no hard feelings.

Rob- EXCELLENT NEWS, thank you!

Cullyn July 1st, 2009 10:29 AM

Well, there's another dataset I'll need to buy. :)

Basilforth July 5th, 2009 07:31 PM

Will the standard d20 and the Pathfinder data sets be separate?

rob July 8th, 2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basilforth (Post 31069)
Will the standard d20 and the Pathfinder data sets be separate?

Yes, they will be. There are some fundamental differences within Pathfinder and, as the system evolves, those differences will simply increase over time. At that occurs, it will become harder and harder to maintain one set of data files for both game systems. So we are splitting Pathfinder off on its own in order to best support it's evolution in the years to come.

daddystabz July 11th, 2009 05:57 AM

This is great news. This will be yet another ruleset I will certainly buy!

woodlock July 15th, 2009 10:13 AM

Awseome News!

Thank you Lone Wolf team for getting Pathfinder into your product asap. I plan on starting a campaign as soon as I get the books and having your support at my table will be invaluable.

Edit - Will we be able to preorder the dataset?

daddystabz July 15th, 2009 10:51 AM

Agreed.

rob July 15th, 2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodlock (Post 31314)
Will we be able to preorder the dataset?

Unlike some other companies, we prefer not asking people to pay for something before we can actually deliver it. We prefer just the opposite, which is why we make the demo mode available for all of our products, allowing customers to fully tinker with the product before plunking down their hard-earned cash. Consequently, we won't be accepting preorders for the Pathfinder dataset.

But you can definitely keep that money earmarked for it! :-)