Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works in Action (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Realm Works - Creating Random Tables (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57609)

daplunk February 4th, 2017 04:30 AM

Realm Works - Creating Random Tables

Hi Team,

A quick video this week.

Realm Works - Creating Random Tables

daplunk

Gord February 4th, 2017 11:21 AM

This video is a perfect example of why you need to enter all the topic titles before you even bother making something like tables or lists. Sadly, I am still cleaning up most of the realm because I never bothered to do it in the first place.

kbs666 February 4th, 2017 04:37 PM

It's why I haven't done stuff like that. I simply don't spend time entering all that stuff into RW on the mechanics side. I'd rather spend my time building my world.

I'll get the basic magic items from the CM, I hope, and then add pics as I need them. I don't do loot tables since I determine all the loot for all the encounters before hand to control both what the PC's have and to control the PC's wealth.

daplunk February 13th, 2017 03:13 AM

I expanded on the topic of random tables tonight in a new video. This is cool as with a single click from within Realm Works you can get a list of random treasure, npc names, taverns, etc.

Realm Works - Using Inspiration Pad Pro To Generate Random Table Results

daplunk February 13th, 2017 03:39 AM

Turns out you can do a very similar thing with the Donjon website.

Realm Works - Linking To Donjon From Realm Works To Display Random Table Results

gaffneyks February 13th, 2017 05:44 AM

Another excellent video as always! Thanks

I am looking at moving to Fantasy Grounds since it was announced the Content Market will not carry WOTC APs and I just don't have the time to enter a book that large in Realm Works and it appears that's my only option to purchase WOTC AP online. Totally different learning curve than Realm Works.

For Realm Works I just watched a few videos that Ken and You posted and I was rocking and cranked out LMOP pretty quickly and was able to integrate it to Hero Lab almost seamlessly after watching that video. Watched the Syrinscape video, got that working in a matter of minutes too.

You guys have done an awesome job on the video series.

Thanks again.

daplunk February 13th, 2017 10:39 AM

Keep in mind that they have not said that they will not support Wotc content. Instead they have said they they cannot support Wotc until a license agreement is put in place.and that these discussions take time.

Ive looked into FG and it does not look like a great campaign manager. The learning curve looks quite steep to be honest while the ability to manage data is rather restricted.

Hope to see you back should the Wotc license get signed.

kbs666 February 13th, 2017 05:32 PM

I've used earlier versions of FG and other VTT's. RW and VTT's are not the same thing.

In some cases they may be converging, FG is clearly moving into RW's domain, but they have a long way to go before they will be comparable.

FG and other VTT's are great for running a game where people aren't face to face or where everyone is comfortable watching a screen rather than pushing mini's but RW is still far superior for giving the GM the ability to run the game outside of the tactical scene.

I understand that if all you want to do is buy the next hardcover campaign from WotC and run it that RW may not work too well for you in the short term but I have to believe the LWD is doing everything they can to sign a license with Hasbro. It just may take a little longer than we'd all like. I am sure there will be stuff you can use in the CM soon after it launches even if it isn't WotC.

Cursed February 14th, 2017 03:49 AM

From what I've understood, RW is is using html (5?) under the hood? If it comes with working javascript engine, random tables (pulling data from json-files or whatever) would be really simple to do.

kbs666 February 14th, 2017 04:09 AM

There is no javascript that we can access.