Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Content Market Disappointment-no 5e in Initial release (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57640)

gaffneyks February 6th, 2017 07:44 PM

Content Market Disappointment-no 5e in Initial release

Well darn.

That's it? Focus on Pathfinder as usual. Nothing for 5th edition. You initial release is Pathfinder and some images?

$5 for 10 images.........glad we waited thru all the delays for that!

Please tell us you are not going to focus on just one game system. Please tell us the initial release is more than that news release stated. I mean come on you have been talking about the content market for a long time, thru multiple Gen Cons and that's all the content you have for the Big release? And you totally ignore multiple game systems other than some overpriced images?

And why make the 5th edition people wait for the import/export if they weren't even going to have anything in the content market they could purchase?

All the delays for this and even the pathfinder fans who actually get content are going to be complaining because they have to purchase the PDF.

I am not really as excited about the Content Market as I was in August when it was just around the corner. Now I see that you don't have all that much Ready Made Content and not from some of the Big Names in the industry as stated on your website.

I am beginning to think that you might not even have WOTC on board and if I want to run a Forgotten Realms campaign i will have to enter it all myself or just give up on using Realm Works.

the_redbeard February 6th, 2017 08:06 PM

While I share your general disappointment, I doubt that this is on Lone Wolf.

They want their product to succeed and have nothing to gain by withholding 5e content. Though not having the 5e SRD available is odd.

You'll note that even with the new OGL and the SRD being released, there is no full 5e purchase available for Herolab. Only the SRD is available for purchase. WotC hasn't released PDFs either. Pirated pdfs are out there, of course.

Yeah, you can get a license for 5e content for Fantasy Grounds, but it will cost you more than what you pay for the printed books. It's crazy.

I think WotC has a pretty messed up plan for digital content.

So let's do something POSITIVE about this.

Monthly or more frequently, WotC has been releasing playtest material and releasing a survey on previous material

WotC designers, Mearls and Crawford, claim that they read those surveys. Tell them politely that you would like to purchase 5e in an electronic form other than Fantasy Grounds. I mention pdf and Realm Works by name.

daplunk February 6th, 2017 08:21 PM

Every survey I fill in for WOTC has Hero Lab and Realm Works in it... I occasionally even tag the designers in Twitter tweets telling them where I want to buy my material ;)

Now if it does happen, I have no expectations that content will be cheap. I expect it to be more than the books which will be disappointing given I own them all. But I actively stopped buying books in the hope that WOTC would come to the table eventually. I hope the packs will be less than $100AUS for the core books. It's alot, i just don't see it being much cheaper given we already pay $70ish for core books from local stores.

Now lets say WOTC are at the table... LW won't be able to talk to that until a date in the project plan where it is acceptable to do that. It will be in a contract.

But still... I was personally hoping for 3rd party love. There is some great 5e 3rd party content out there.

But then again... if I was Paizo... I would have demanded that the initial advertisements focus on Pathfinder. I would have made them put that in the contract in order to sign me up.

So you see, we have no idea what is going on. Perhaps there's reason to be disappointed or perhaps it's a political nightmare that we can't hear about yet.

Either way I'm of the school that communication is key to success but understand the political landscape in the business world that often gets in the way.

kbs666 February 7th, 2017 04:09 AM

I would think LWD would have 5e material if they could.

I will point out that most any PF module can be converted to 5e relatively easily. Assuming a well formatted module in RW it shouldn't be too hard to go through and find all the skill checks, saving throws, NPC's and monsters and convert them to 5e.

gaffneyks February 7th, 2017 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 243567)
I would think LWD would have 5e material if they could.

I will point out that most any PF module can be converted to 5e relatively easily. Assuming a well formatted module in RW it shouldn't be too hard to go through and find all the skill checks, saving throws, NPC's and monsters and convert them to 5e.

Isn't the whole point of the Content Market "READY MADE CONTENT"? Why would I buy a product I don't want just to use Realm Works and then have to go to the trouble of changing the product?

LWD needs to realize that even though the base Realm Works product does not compete with the Virtual Tabletops . The content market sure does. And if Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds can come to an agreement with WOTC. Then it would be in LWD best interest to do so also, or lose business. Its not like they did not have a long time to make a deal with WOTC since it has taken so long for them to go live.

I already entered everything I need for LMOP into Realm Works, but I needed the maps. Once I went out and purchased the maps from Mike Schley for $10 I saw that the whole adventure was for sale on Fantasy Grounds and Roll20 for $20. And it got me thinking, LMOP was just for the first 5 levels. Do I really want to do this all over to add Princes of the Apocalypse to Realm Works?

Why did i take the time to enter this in Realm Works when for $10 more I could have just purchased the whole adventure? Now granted I would have to purchase the virtual tabletop software and get everyone to agree to stop using miniatures and use the virtual tabletop. But still.

I had hoped the content market would solve this problem for me, it appears that LWD has decided to focus on Paizo products, hence it has not solved my problem and I am disappointed. Thus my above post.

meek75 February 7th, 2017 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaffneyks (Post 243574)
Isn't the whole point of the Content Market "READY MADE CONTENT"? Why would I buy a product I don't want just to use Realm Works and then have to go to the trouble of changing the product?

I already said this in another forum, but it bears repeating -- I would absolutely by a system neutral module and add in the mechanical bits. If the story is solid and the realm is well organized I'm sold. No, I don't want to pay the high price for a PF module and then still need to change it. However, a more affordable system neutral offering would be very welcome.

kbs666 February 7th, 2017 06:55 AM

Quote:

LWD needs to realize that even though the base Realm Works product does not compete with the Virtual Tabletops . The content market sure does. And if Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds can come to an agreement with WOTC. Then it would be in LWD best interest to do so also, or lose business. Its not like they did not have a long time to make a deal with WOTC since it has taken so long for them to go live.

I already entered everything I need for LMOP into Realm Works, but I needed the maps. Once I went out and purchased the maps from Mike Schley for $10 I saw that the whole adventure was for sale on Fantasy Grounds and Roll20 for $20. And it got me thinking, LMOP was just for the first 5 levels. Do I really want to do this all over to add Princes of the Apocalypse to Realm Works?

Why did i take the time to enter this in Realm Works when for $10 more I could have just purchased the whole adventure? Now granted I would have to purchase the virtual tabletop software and get everyone to agree to stop using miniatures and use the virtual tabletop. But still.

I had hoped the content market would solve this problem for me, it appears that LWD has decided to focus on Paizo products, hence it has not solved my problem and I am disappointed. Thus my above post.

You need to consider that this could very well be a WotC issue not a LWD one. I doubt LWD isn't doing everything possible to bring 5e to both HL and RW.

Gwydion February 7th, 2017 07:01 AM

Quote:

I hear you on this and FYI, I actually own both Fantasy Grounds and Realmworks. I went a little crazy and I have POTA hard copy, I purchased the FG copy when it was on sale and I purchased the individual maps from Schley. I loaded everything manually into Realmworks. Ton of copying and pasting and uploading maps from my purchases from Schley. Works great as the players love the ability to look at everything when we are offline given this is such a long campaign. However, you all can do the math. It was a big investment for me for one campaign!

I really want to keep using realmworks for my larger campaigns in conjunction with fantasy grounds. Just need to think about the cost/benefit.

BJ February 7th, 2017 07:52 AM

Good morning everyone (or whatever time of day it is where you call home)!

We would love to be able to set all the rules for purchasing and content. But we can only do what we can within the constraints of our licensing agreements and team size.

We absolutely want to see more 5E in the Content Market. I publish and play 5E myself so I'm certainly keen on it, and I know everyone else is too! We will have 5E, it will just take a bit more time. As for official WOTC content, that may be a thing of the far future but brace yourselves for the cost if it is.

Our initial focus with 5E will be on third party publishers, and as someone said there is a LOT of awesome 3PP content out there!

You can absolutely help make 5E a higher priority for future waves of content! Do you know what type of 5E material you want? Go vote for it! Right now 5th Edition has only received 29% of votes for content. Don't forget to share the survey with other Realm Works friends so they have an opportunity to have their voice heard as well. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CVCC5XN

Gwydion February 7th, 2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJ (Post 243591)
Good morning everyone (or whatever time of day it is where you call home)!

We would love to be able to set all the rules for purchasing and content. But we can only do what we can within the constraints of our licensing agreements and team size.

We absolutely want to see more 5E in the Content Market. I publish and play 5E myself so I'm certainly keen on it, and I know everyone else is too! We will have 5E, it will just take a bit more time. As for official WOTC content, that may be a thing of the far future but brace yourselves for the cost if it is.

Our initial focus with 5E will be on third party publishers, and as someone said there is a LOT of awesome 3PP content out there!

You can absolutely help make 5E a higher priority for future waves of content! Do you know what type of 5E material you want? Go vote for it! Right now 5th Edition has only received 29% of votes for content. Don't forget to share the survey with other Realm Works friends so they have an opportunity to have their voice heard as well. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CVCC5XN

Thanks, BJ! Yep, I cast my vote early this morning. Appreciate you reaching out to us all to ask what we are most interested in.