Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Monk Styles (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=48623)

candidgamera March 18th, 2014 03:02 PM

Monk Styles

Is there a house rule or other module that adds the style feats from Ultimate Combat to the Monk's bonus feat list? Or would I basically need to clone the Monk class (if that's even possible) and modify its bonus feat selections?

I don't see anything obvious, but I had a player inquire about the option for an upcoming game, and it seems a reasonable substitution.

candidgamera March 18th, 2014 03:22 PM

Hmmm. May be simpler than I thought. I was able to add an Alternate Monk class and select Style feats as options for their bonus selections - the only downside is that they ALL appear at level 1, but honestly, it's good enough for me for now.

RavenX March 18th, 2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candidgamera (Post 178005)
Is there a house rule or other module that adds the style feats from Ultimate Combat to the Monk's bonus feat list? Or would I basically need to clone the Monk class (if that's even possible) and modify its bonus feat selections?

I don't see anything obvious, but I had a player inquire about the option for an upcoming game, and it seems a reasonable substitution.

You could build an archetype to handle this, rather than modify a base class.

AndrewD2 March 18th, 2014 03:38 PM

I concur with RavenX, an archetype would be easiest. And it can be as simple as clicking the add style feats checkbox under addtional bonus feats, it's a little more complex if you want different feats to be available at different levels. You'll need to add a script that when a specific level is met you add the fInclude.FEATUID tag to the archetype.

This is assuming I'm remembering correctly, brain is getting frazzled working on monsters lately and not class abilities much.

RavenX March 18th, 2014 03:46 PM

Archetypes are pretty easy to make in game, and they can modify or replace class features, but they are easy enough to implement on their own.

Anpumes March 18th, 2014 03:59 PM

I agree with RavenX and AndrewD2, archetype is the way to go here and there is already an archetype that provides this... Master of Many Styles. Assuming I am understanding what you are after here.

candidgamera March 18th, 2014 04:29 PM

Master of Many Styles would do it, but I believe the player had another archetype in mind. That would also nix making my own custom archetype.

Anpumes March 18th, 2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candidgamera (Post 178015)
Master of Many Styles would do it, but I believe the player had another archetype in mind. That would also nix making my own custom archetype.

In this circumstance, I'd still build a custom archetype to handle what the player wants and simply borrow the code (or pieces thereof) that suite the needs of the archetype and the player, while being careful to maintain game balance. Archetypes are easier to setup than a fully new class.

candidgamera March 19th, 2014 06:54 AM

I'll bear that in mind. Thanks!