Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HLO - Starfinder (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   HLO: "Starfinder Armory" content date? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60927)

Ecliptic August 6th, 2018 07:46 PM

So no ETA on implementation then?

rob August 7th, 2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaX (Post 268499)
Not sure what your point would be, Toblakai, except that having a browser based character sheet can be used on a phone.

The single most requested thing we've been asked for years is to support Android. And the second most requested thing is to support the full spectrum of tablets and phones across all game systems. Switching to the browser-based model within HLOnline delivers a product that satisfies our #1 and #2 user requests.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaX (Post 268499)
That would be the case for a character viewer, based on the "classic" herolab por files, which would have been easier to implement, use and develop than a complete rework of the program to work off a server and not do a lot of the work the program already does.

Not exactly. The requests aren't for a static viewer. Users want full character editing capability. They want to do everything via their phone or tablet. And they want it for any device and every game system we support. That's fundamentally different from any sort of viewer derived from an HLClassic portfolio file and requires the full product to be available on all those devices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaX (Post 268519)
I do hope that Herolab Online can get the same functionality as the classic program, but it is nowhere near that yet. I believe browser technology has to improve quite a bit for it to be able to get to that level, but unless one of the third party browsers like Chrome or more likely Mozilla subplants IE or "Edge," this won't happen anytime soon. They just took a hit a year ago cutting out Java functions and seem to be more concerned about being "secure" than anything else.

Browser technology already exists today that will allow us to accomplish everything we've got mapped out on our "core features" road map for HLOnline - features that will leave HLClassic in the dust by comparison. We definitely don't have everything in place yet, but the foundation is in place and we're building steadily towards what I see as a vastly more powerful, flexible, and useful product than HLClassic could ever become. :)

rob August 7th, 2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecliptic (Post 269051)
So no ETA on implementation then?

Armory and a few other books for other game systems slipped due to the push to get everything into place for PF2 Playtest in time for GenCon. We've got a little bit left to wrap up for the Playtest and then our attention will return to the books that slipped, with Armory being at the forefront of those. I don't know what a concrete ETA would be, since I'm not directly involved in that work, but I can definitely say that it won't be much longer. :)

thaX August 11th, 2018 05:51 AM

I get what your saying about the most requested app for the program.

I think the online only App and not having an actual program hurts more than it improves the user ability to use it at the table.

Internet availability is not, nor will it be anytime soon, something that is a guaranteed certainty. If we could use an App to view and adjust our character as it is, a character viewer should be a feature or separate App that could use a saved character file to use without getting on the internet, and staying on it, for the ability to just see the character.

The App for the iPad has always been something that has potential, but seems to want to do to much rather than be an extension of the program that is on the computer.

I hope you can get the server app up to the point of being as good as the classic program, but thus far, it is a long way from happening. I am glad you hope to actually surpass the classic program, but the focus should be on at least getting on par with it, walk before running.

mithrandiryod August 11th, 2018 06:43 AM

May be new, but I bought in for the character building, eventual ship building, and eventual combat Management/encounter builder. The fact that it is online is nice to be able to edit from everywhere, even work or the couch when inspiration strikes or I have the random moment to work.

If I had the choice I'd rather have all the DM tools available...but I'm willing to wait. I understand that character building and usability at the table should likely come first to serve the wider customer base. Doesn't stop me from obsessively checking the forums for release information or roadmap updates. I'm just hoping that PF2 doesn't push starfinder items aside...

rob August 11th, 2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithrandiryod (Post 269278)
I'm just hoping that PF2 doesn't push starfinder items aside...

PF2 impacted everything (Starfinder, PF1, Shadowrun, etc.) because we had such a small time window into which to make it happen for GenCon. Now that PF2 is largely in place, we'll be finishing up the remaining bits of PF2 and getting back to normal on support for everything else. All of the major functionality we'll be bringing online for HLO in the months ahead will apply to both Starfinder AND PF2.

Gobrious August 26th, 2018 07:07 PM

Is there an update on the Armory for HLO? The book has been out for a while now.

Also, I don't think putting Starfinder on the back burner like that for a playtest is cool.

While HLO is being developed, I don't think it's wise as a company to try and do both PF2 and Starfinder while so many announced features are still missing. Should have just worked on HLO over the next year and release PF2 for HLO when PF2 is actually released.

Too late now.

ben.rincon August 27th, 2018 07:05 AM

I would also like to know an expected date for the armory. My players are dying to use the stuff, but since I have a lot of them and we use HLO I have to wait until it gets published to use. It wouldn't be as bad If we could create custom items and the like as in HLC, but this is how it is. Armory is a hot ticket item for people who use HLO, so it would really be good to know we are getting it soon and not just having it kicked back cause of the playtest.

That being said, thanks for coming our monthlies while you guys get things sorted! It means a lot!

Trester August 27th, 2018 01:19 PM

Yeah it would be amazing if the Armory could be added soon. My players are dying to add some of the stuff to their characters.

Rone August 28th, 2018 10:36 AM

We hope to have Armory out in September now that we have some time to catch up.