Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Is my loading time normal? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=59602)

Farnaby November 22nd, 2017 12:58 PM

Is my loading time normal?

I have a feeling that RW has slowed down.
I've timed from double-clicking the icon to the login screen as taking 11:15 min.

Any one else have this?

Acenoid November 22nd, 2017 01:29 PM

whoa! Loading speed is the same for me.

HDD (almost) full / old / broken?

daplunk November 22nd, 2017 02:16 PM

How much content do you have entered. Realm Works takes a backup on login by default. If you have a slow hard-drive or lots of data this can take quite a bit of time.

There are options to reduce your database size and reduce / disable the backup on launch.

Obviously there is risk associated with turning this off completely but that's up to the user.

Farnaby November 22nd, 2017 02:31 PM

Nope,

just started off, have 7 nearly empty databases and one where I have entered all Paizo feats and spells. The last backup is just 33 Mb.

Also after reading all the threads I installed it on a SSD.

Any way to change the backup/export directories to the SSD as well?

daplunk November 22nd, 2017 02:37 PM

No the backups are all hard-coded to go to:

Database: C:\Users\<UserId>\AppData\Roaming\LWD Technology, Inc\Realm Works
Backups: C:\Users\<UserId>\Documents\Realm Works\Backups

I have my OS on the SSD. It was one of the best upgrades I ever did.

kbs666 November 22nd, 2017 03:14 PM

You can make the backups go to an SSD. You just need to make your user directories go on the SSD.

The simplest solution is to make the SSD your boot drive, you should do this if at all possible as running windows off an SSD will speed up your entire system. If that isn't an option you can still choose what drive your user directories go on.

This gives a step by step on how to move the user directories in Windows 10
http://www.dummies.com/computers/ope...in-windows-10/

BTW are you saying it takes 11 minutes and 15 seconds for RW to launch? If so you have a serious issue. Could you post your system specs? Unless you are trying to run RW on the potato of all potatoes that is far too slow.

Farnaby November 22nd, 2017 10:01 PM

Well my OS is on a SSD and RW is installed on a 2nd SSD.
But I had the file size of my backup completely wrong it's 33 GB, not MB!

Something is really wrong. As I said, I only have really entered 1 realm seriously and that
has the Paizo feats and spells added per the csv2rw tool. No pictures or anything.

I'm going to delete everything and re-install. Sync the 1 realm and see what's happening.

-------------
App startup is now seconds.
Synced the realm and keep getting errors "Could not find a part of the path 'e:\Users\...\AppData\...'
An going to create a new realm and import the feats and spells again to see what happens.

Farling November 22nd, 2017 10:59 PM

Have you tried the "compress database" option which is available?

If a lot of importing is done, then extra information gets left behind in the database, so a compression will strip out all that wasteage.

kbs666 November 23rd, 2017 04:32 AM

Not sure which CSV file you used but all the pathfinder feats and spells is a huge amount of data. It shouldn't be anything like 33 GB though unless you did the import several times or something.

I've told people this before and I'll say it again, I don't think there is much if any utility in adding all of that rules crunch to RW.

Ask yourself this, what links to all that stuff outside those articles and how likely are you to ever follow one of those links?

Exmortis November 23rd, 2017 05:18 AM

Submit a bug report, but don't expect anything anytime soon if it requires a patch.

I have been awaiting months.