Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - World of Darkness (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Implementing Mage (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=8830)

resplendenthawk July 17th, 2009 01:35 PM

Implementing Mage

So, I'd really like to use this tool to keep track of my Mage game, but it seems like it might be a year or more before it sees an official release at the current rate. If I wanted to build support for the Mage template into the tool, can I do that using the WoD base file, or does it definitely necessitate using the authoring kit?

resplendenthawk July 20th, 2009 10:27 AM

So, no answer? Is this question better served in the Authoring Kit section of the forums? I'm trying to determine if I need to purchase and learn to use the Authoring Kit functionality to build in Mage support for the WoD data set, or if I can make the necessary additions (a new "template", spells, etc) with the Editor tool.

rob July 20th, 2009 08:07 PM

Posting a question late Friday and expecting an answer early Monday is a little bit unreasonable, isn't it? :-)

Adding support for Mage or Werewolf (or any other WoD setting) to the existing WoD data files is not possible for a user to perform. The internal mechanisms for doing that are not exposed and the reason is that there is some serious work involved in adapting the general mechanics to each setting. Each setting introduces some significantly divergent mechanics that need to be handled and cleanly integrated into everything else. There have been some major issues with integrating the Changeling mechanics, which I'm happy to say are mostly finished at this point. But adding Mage to the existing WoD files is not something that can be done by users. It's going to be meaningful work for us to do internally.

AstraelOrannis July 1st, 2014 12:37 PM

Is there any update on whether or not there are plans to add Mage: the Awakening data files?

Aaron July 8th, 2014 09:04 PM

I'm not aware of any current negotiations with Onyx Path, though who knows what the future holds?

RavenX July 8th, 2014 09:25 PM

Does Onyx Path own it or does CCCP Games still own it? That's where the answer lies, Aaron...

Aaron July 9th, 2014 04:23 PM

I thought Onyx Path was the current company? Didn't CCCP sell the WoD IP to them when their plans for a MMO collapsed? FwA

RavenX July 9th, 2014 04:43 PM

That, I'm not certain on. Because I've seen Onyx Path products with the CCCP Games logo on them. So I'm not certain if they sold the rights back to the writers or if they only licensed them to them. If they're under license, then CCCP games would be the problem for us...

Update: I checked on white-wolf.com and it looks like CCCP Games still owns the game systems and that Onyx Path is just a business partnership to actually do the writing for the game systems. This means if we did renegotiate the licensing it would likely have to go through CCCP Games still... With Gen Con coming up though it might be possible that they could be negotiated with. Who knows what the future holds for us?

hades200082 October 24th, 2014 12:24 PM

Any updates on this?

I was considering buying the WoD bolt-on for herolab but my favorite WoD game is not supported :(

Not much point only covering half of a game system/setting either imo.

RavenX October 29th, 2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hades200082 (Post 195927)
Any updates on this?

I was considering buying the WoD bolt-on for herolab but my favorite WoD game is not supported :(

Not much point only covering half of a game system/setting either imo.

Haven't heard any updates as of yet. The original license covered the books released for WoD, Vampire the Requiem, and Changeling's cores as far as I know, but I am not sure if the license covered supplemental books or just what has already been released. Mage wasn't part of the original license and CCP games seems unwilling to negotiate the license currently as far as I know.