Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Bulkd Tagging and views (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60928)

Acenoid July 15th, 2018 12:36 PM

Bulkd Tagging and views

So we have currently 7 views to our disposal. Currently I use all of them. Now I wondered - The bulk tagging requires to create a temporary view in which I only place topics that should be edited. So effectively I have only 6 views I could work with. Anyone knows a workaround for either more views or by being able to keep my current views?

daplunk July 15th, 2018 01:39 PM

They are hard coded to 7. LWD would need to expand this

Farling July 15th, 2018 04:18 PM

Why isn't 6 views enough to work with? :-)

I've only used two: one for the current game session, and one for the current story arc.

Valyar July 16th, 2018 12:55 AM

I need more than the pre-defined views. I have big realm, need to filter the content because it improves the readability and the performance. :/

kbs666 July 16th, 2018 01:17 AM

But why keep them around all the time? I just create views as I need them then delete them when I'm done.

When I'm working on a new adventure I create a view for that but when its done, away it goes. When I'm in the mood to flesh out stuff that is incomplete, empty etc. I create a view based on the utility tags. When I'd done going through those I delete it. I've never run out of views.

MaxSupernova July 16th, 2018 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 268047)
But why keep them around all the time? I just create views as I need them then delete them when I'm done.

When I'm working on a new adventure I create a view for that but when its done, away it goes. When I'm in the mood to flesh out stuff that is incomplete, empty etc. I create a view based on the utility tags. When I'd done going through those I delete it. I've never run out of views.

I think the question is not "Why do you need more?" so much as it is "Why is this apparently arbitrary limitation in place?".

It's a valid question. There may be a technical reason why, but without that knowledge it appears to be strangely small.

kbs666 July 16th, 2018 08:35 AM

When Rob was asked, back in 2016 IIRC, he said he couldn't imagine anyone ever needing more than 7 so he hardcoded the limit.

MaxSupernova July 16th, 2018 11:57 AM

Yeah, that's not an entirely surprising explanation.

daplunk July 16th, 2018 01:39 PM

Back when I had one realm with 20+ products in it I wanted way more than 7.

Acenoid July 18th, 2018 12:40 PM

I hosted the same games for different groups, though Iam using already a "used realm" with revealed content, none of my players is acutally using Rw. Therefore iam "safe" :)

So all the adventures were in separate views. I also had a few (deleted already most of them) views in the mechanics section, to improve readability have a faster search.

I would so much like if the searching would be possible with less popups and clicks...

Well, that's basically it. Deleting the views means I would need to find and sort the scenes / places / characters used in a particular adventure again.

I thought already about splitting my realm into
1. mechanics
2. pristine realm containing the lore & world
3-x adventures adding on top of the lore & world adding scenes.

But it sounds so wasteful currently. It would mean to invest much time to split clean export everything.
Everytime I update rules / lore I need to import it into eventually running adventures...
Also it's wasteful on harddrive and network traffic, since I have duplicate information in several places.

If you have better ideas Iam all ears :)