Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Feature Requests (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Print/Export created content. (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=47475)

Parody November 10th, 2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exmortis (Post 197068)
I am not being a jerk, but why would you want all that in PDFs for use outside RW?

Distributing what we've created (from a handout to an entire campaign world) to people who aren't using Realm Works, which are the vast majority of players and GMs.

Now what I want is data export, not printing, but the steps are the same: create queries, then format the resulting data in a useful arrangement, then present the result to us (the users) in a way with which we can work.

Dervish November 10th, 2014 12:57 PM

my whole reason for getting realm works was so i could collate my content and then package it up nicely and export not as digital hosting solution.

Dark Lord Galen November 10th, 2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parody (Post 197105)
Distributing what we've created (from a handout to an entire campaign world) to people who aren't using Realm Works, which are the vast majority of players and GMs.

Now what I want is data export, not printing, but the steps are the same: create queries, then format the resulting data in a useful arrangement, then present the result to us (the users) in a way with which we can work.

Spot on Parody...
I can understand (being an ancient gurnard DM myself) the desire to have the hardcopy of your work, but I can certainly see the appeal to bringing things into the digital age as well.

The ability to word search realms consisting of reams of printed data is a nightmare compared to what RW can do digitally. That reason alone is what LWD hopes the user will embrace.

BUT, As Parody points out, printing or electronic exporting : the steps are the same.

The ability to at least export the data the user has spent hours putting in and arrange it (in RW would be nice, in any program would be satisfactory) as a more finished form than the "database" view it currently resides in is a top shelf need.

Implementation of this form of feature crosses into too many in game and off table support elements. From Character backgrounds, gaming summaries, regional histories, who's who list, etc. the need is apparent.

EightBitz November 10th, 2014 07:43 PM

Why is this even being debated. I've seen other people request features that I don't need or want. While I might have suggested workarounds, I never saw any need to debate the usefulness of the feature. Such a thing boggles my mind. This is one of the top requested features, which means that when LWD turns to user requests, this has a good chance of being on the high-priority list.

If you don't see the need for the feature, then simply don't use it.

ShadowChemosh November 11th, 2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EightBitz (Post 197140)
Why is this even being debated. I've seen other people request features that I don't need or want. While I might have suggested workarounds, I never saw any need to debate the usefulness of the feature. Such a thing boggles my mind. This is one of the top requested features, which means that when LWD turns to user requests, this has a good chance of being on the high-priority list.

If you don't see the need for the feature, then simply don't use it.

I took it as being an honest question more then Exmortis saying "NO DON'T DO THIS". That was my take anyways.

At the same time I agree that if lots of people want this feature then LWD should implement it. Even though I personally would never use it I would not want to prevent a feature from others. Of course I would prefer the features I want to go in first. ;)

My 2 cents. :)

Parody November 11th, 2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh (Post 197170)
I took it as being an honest question more then Parody saying "NO DON'T DO THIS".

I think you mean Exmortis, not me. I'm in favor of data export. (I'm neutral on printing and PDF export.)

ShadowChemosh November 11th, 2014 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parody (Post 197179)
I think you mean Exmortis, not me. I'm in favor of data export. (I'm neutral on printing and PDF export.)

My bad! Sorry! :( Fixed my post...

Dark Lord Galen November 11th, 2014 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh (Post 197170)
I took it as being an honest question more then Exmortis saying "NO DON'T DO THIS". That was my take anyways.

At the same time I agree that if lots of people want this feature then LWD should implement it. Even though I personally would never use it I would not want to prevent a feature from others. Of course I would prefer the features I want to go in first. ;)

My 2 cents. :)

@ Eightbitz > I agree with ShadowChemosh and to clarify, IMO Exmortis, Parody & myself were actually expanding on similar features that could also be incorporated using similar techniques if LWD were to include them with printing, not instead of.

@ShadowChemosh > Like you, I don't foresee a lot of personal use for myself to print, and would also prefer other features first, but I fully recognize not all play (or manage) their games the same. Each experience is different.

EightBitz November 11th, 2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen (Post 197225)
@ Eightbitz > I agree with ShadowChemosh and to clarify, IMO Exmortis, Parody & myself were actually expanding on similar features that could also be incorporated using similar techniques if LWD were to include them with printing, not instead of.

@ShadowChemosh > Like you, I don't foresee a lot of personal use for myself to print, and would also prefer other features first, but I fully recognize not all play (or manage) their games the same. Each experience is different.

Well, personally, I hope you all get the features you want. But I still want to be able to export and print. So do many others. Let's all wish the best for each other. That's my only point.

taxboy November 11th, 2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightbitz (Post 197230)
well, personally, i hope you all get the features you want. But i still want to be able to export and print. So do many others. Let's all wish the best for each other. That's my only point.

+1000