Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Feature Requests (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   'Deceased' Flag/condition (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=45503)

Jaynay27 August 24th, 2013 08:28 PM

'Deceased' Flag/condition

Not sure if there is an easy way to do this already, but would it be possible to add a check-box, or some sort of flag to indicate that a character is deceased?

Could be useful for campaign history, as well as updating the status of NPCs as they are 'dealt' with by the PCs.

AEIOU August 24th, 2013 08:47 PM

Wouldn't a custom snippet with a series of (editable) conditions to choose from would be more effective than a binary dead or not dead? That way you could have: in play, on sabbatical, recovering from wounds, in chrysalis state, reincarnating, on walkabout, out of country, off planet, in prison, available for hire, etc as well as dead as conditions to assign depending on your campaign.

Jaynay27 August 24th, 2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AEIOU (Post 164063)
Wouldn't a custom snippet with a series of (editable) conditions to choose from would be more effective than a binary dead or not dead? That way you could have: in play, on sabbatical, recovering from wounds, in chrysalis state, reincarnating, on walkabout, out of country, off planet, in prison, available for hire, etc as well as dead as conditions to assign depending on your campaign.

Good point!

I hadn't thought that far down the track as I am just inputting data in to RW, not using it (yet) in actual play, but your suggestion makes a lot of sense!

So is this already supported (can I make up a custom snippet, with a list of common conditions, so I don't have to manually type in data every time?), or something that needs to be added?

Thankyou :)

Zaphod Beebledoc August 25th, 2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaynay27 (Post 164065)
So is this already supported (can I make up a custom snippet, with a list of common conditions, so I don't have to manually type in data every time?), or something that needs to be added?

I would think that custom tags would do the trick...

rob August 25th, 2013 01:04 AM

Yes, you can do this now. And it's easy! Here's how...

1. Go to the Manage ribbon bar and select Tags.
2. Create a new tag domain called "Condition" or "Status".
3. Add tags for all the various conditions you want for now.
4. Save your changes.
5. Select Categories on the ribbon bar at the top.
6. Select the Individual category at the left.
7. Click on the Snippet Types for the Overview section type (or a different section if you prefer).
8. Click the "Add Snippet Type" button at the bottom.
9. Name the snippet type "Status" (or "Condition").
10. Specify a type of "Tag-Based (Standard)".
11. Check the "Auto-Add" checkbox.
12. In the Tag Configuration region, select the "Status" (or "Condition") tag domain in the lower droplist.
13. Save your changes.

At this point, the next time you create a new Individual topic, Realm Works will auto-add a snippet entitled "Status" (or "Condition") that allows you to select one or more of the tags you defined. If you want to add more options, just add more tags to the tag domain.

Hope this helps!

Jaynay27 August 25th, 2013 01:05 AM

Ummmm....AWESOME!!!!
(thankyou).

weogarth September 22nd, 2013 05:09 AM

This is indeed awesome. However, I seem to have my Add Snippet Type button at the bottom grayed out. I can't seem to figure out a way to get it active to click.

Usually, right after I post a question like this, I figure it out and I'm hoping that's the case here. :o:D

Thanks in advance!

ChillBro Baggins December 13th, 2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob (Post 164094)
Yes, you can do this now. And it's easy! Here's how...

1. Go to the Manage ribbon bar and select Tags.
2. Create a new tag domain called "Condition" or "Status".
3. Add tags for all the various conditions you want for now.
4. Save your changes.
5. Select Categories on the ribbon bar at the top.
6. Select the Individual category at the left.
7. Click on the Snippet Types for the Overview section type (or a different section if you prefer).
8. Click the "Add Snippet Type" button at the bottom.
9. Name the snippet type "Status" (or "Condition").
10. Specify a type of "Tag-Based (Standard)".
11. Check the "Auto-Add" checkbox.
12. In the Tag Configuration region, select the "Status" (or "Condition") tag domain in the lower droplist.
13. Save your changes.

At this point, the next time you create a new Individual topic, Realm Works will auto-add a snippet entitled "Status" (or "Condition") that allows you to select one or more of the tags you defined. If you want to add more options, just add more tags to the tag domain.

Hope this helps!

Is this method still valid? I tried to follow the directions to add Condition tags to Individuals, and my "Add Snippet Type" button is grayed out and I cannot find a way to turn it on...

gamemasterbob December 14th, 2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaynay27 (Post 164062)
Not sure if there is an easy way to do this already, but would it be possible to add a check-box, or some sort of flag to indicate that a character is deceased?

Could be useful for campaign history, as well as updating the status of NPCs as they are 'dealt' with by the PCs.

When you create an "Individual" one of the default fields is "Condition". One of the choices is "Dead" Is this what you mean?

Silveras December 14th, 2013 10:08 AM

That's a new field added in a recent build. If you have customized the category definition previously, and are using your customized version of Individual, you would need to add the new field to it.