Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works in Action (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Organization (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57445)

BigSkyRPG January 17th, 2017 08:20 AM

Organization

So after watching videos from several of the users on here, I'm still trying to decide the on the best way to organize Article content in the Mechanics Reference.

For instance, lets focus just on Dangers/Creatures. DAPlunk recommends creating source entries and then organizing them by source (Monster Manual, Tome of beasts, etc.). You can then browse to the source to find your manual.

Is there a way to catalog your Dangers/Creatures by putting them all in alphabetical order and then creating tags for the source and any other tags that I would want to search by?

For instance, run a search on Monster Manual tag to return all monsters from that source. Run a search on undead tag, to return a list of all undead monsters?

I'm still learning Realm Works and I want to decide upon a consistent strategy before I start inputting everything.

Thanks for any comments, in advance!

Bidmaron January 17th, 2017 02:46 PM

This is wrong subforum for that. Belongs in discussion sub forum

daplunk January 17th, 2017 02:51 PM

There's a few ways to do this. I'm still happy with putting everything under the book. What I would do if I did it again (which i will) is to tag all the creatures with the following:

Source Book
Creature Type
Create Environment
CR Level
Etc, etc

Then you can search on tags and basically search on anything you want to.

Silveras January 17th, 2017 03:10 PM

Organizing by book is one choice.. but if you want all related things (which may be added through multiple books) in one list (such as Feats or Spells for D&D and Pathfinder), then organizing by book is not as desirable. Indeed.. the Paizo "Pathfinder Reference Document" can be considered one "book" with the contents of multiple volumes in it. While the on-line version is broken out by book.. it is an extra hassle sometimes to need to remember which book a Feat or Spell was introduced in... it is easier to have an alphabetical list of them consolidating all books.

Note: The D&D and Pathfinder spell lists put "Greater X" and "Improved X" spells with the main name (ex. "Lesser Planar Binding" is listed as "Planar Binding, Lesser"). Providing both versions with the "Manage Names" functionality works well until you group them in "A", "B", "C" topics in the navigation hierarchy. Because the aliases all ed up under the parent, "Lesser Planar Binding" is not found under "L", but is under "P" if you put "Planar Binding, Lesser" there .. although it will sort to the top of all the "P" entries.

BigSkyRPG January 17th, 2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bidmaron (Post 241811)
This is wrong subforum for that. Belongs in discussion sub forum

Thanks for the heads up; a moderator had to approve the post, before it was posted; I assume he could have moved it. I don't see a way to do this on my end though.

daplunk January 17th, 2017 03:13 PM

Moderators approve posts?

ShadowChemosh January 17th, 2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daplunk (Post 241816)
Moderators approve posts?

First post you ever do on the forums have to be approved. This cuts down on the spam bots. Once that is done you are free to post with out approval.

daplunk January 17th, 2017 03:19 PM

You know what i think i remember that...

BigSkyRPG January 17th, 2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daplunk (Post 241812)
There's a few ways to do this. I'm still happy with putting everything under the book. What I would do if I did it again (which i will) is to tag all the creatures with the following:

Source Book
Creature Type
Create Environment
CR Level
Etc, etc

Then you can search on tags and basically search on anything you want to.

Thanks for the reply, btw your videos are great. I know that RW will auto link your content so that in and of itself is cosmically awesome; however, I can see myself using rw to also prep encounters and research, etc., in addition to creating a world atlas. Therefore, I would imagine I should just tag everything by how I would search, etc.

Creating your own tags, etc.. is ok for importing/exporting correct?

You don't see any other drawbacks other than what was mentioned by organizing alphabetically, do you?

daplunk January 17th, 2017 03:22 PM

You can specifically export the game system settings so it should work. What system are you using?